Do We Need a New Manager?

steelboy

All well and good having a promising reserve team but the one name McCall keeps mentioning is shining in a position that the first team has been lacking all season. And if youngsters can't get a chance after 13 games of shite then when can they?

Who is the player that McCall reckons is shining? Who do we have that can play in pretty much every position because every position seems to have been lacking this season...?

Usually when the team is playing OK so the crowd and the expectation doesn't get to them.

Something that McCall has never done, with Daley repeatedly getting the nod over Lawless when we were hammering teams.

I'd love to see Cadden and Thomas get a chance but now is not the time. People are starting to draw comparisons with Hibs and Butcher destroyed the confidence of Harris and Stanton last season.

In what way is it mental?

How about............he's not been a football manager for who knows how long?

or....... he's getting on a bit and there is no indication of whether or not he's progressed his skills and is up to date with modern football management, techniques, strategies etc, or maybe just the fact that he hasn't indicated a desire to get back into football management. Or even there might be better candidates out there who would fancy a crack.

Putting aside the above, Tommy may still be a great football manager but it smacks of lazy internet judgement. Who is an old school guy who can work our players, who has a knowledge of the club, who is well thought of at the club....... oh we can get McLean back in some 23 years after he became a legend to replace the only manager who can challenge McLeans achievements in those 23 years.

Basically all of the above. Football has moved on in 20 or so years and although I could be wrong, I doubt that Tommy McLean has been keeping up with the changes.

What the team and club need is fresh ideas not ones from the 1990's.

While I'm not advocating a return for Tommy McLean at the moment, reading his book he doesn't seem to be so far out of touch as you'd imagine.... Seems to have kept himself up to date with the game and some of his ideas were quite progressive.

If were honest wee Tommy's biggest mistake was leaving us when he did, although he managed a few so called "bigger" clubs he never done much after leaving Motherwell. I think it would be a mistake on our part though tae take him back now.

Davie Hay too. Even when you hear him talk, it seems like he enjoyed his time at Motherwell the most.

The problem we may face is that things may not improve this season, and we may see McCall go before the summer. What do we do then? The list of managerial candidates isn't that great mid-season, is it? I was advocating someone like McLean as an interim option until the end of the current season. Someone who, whilst maybe not the kind of guy you want to hand the job full-time, could help hold things together until the end of the season when a proper replacement can be brought in.

What other candidates do we have in such a scenario?

I find naming candidates to be a daft game, to be honest......

I find naming candidates to be a daft game.........particularly when there's one already in post and no hint that he's going to be removed from the position anytime soon.

• Like 7

McLean has worked for Rangers and the SFA for periods since his last managerial position, Im pretty sure he'll have kept up to date with the game in one way or another. Even then, fitba is a simple game, he'd make us organised as a starting point.

It obviously wouldnt be a long term measure and his remit would be to keep us in the league. I wouldnt imagine he'd be looking for a kings ransom either.

NO WIN ,,NO WIN ... if he leaves and we get relegated ??? some will say he should have stayed and persevered , or it was to late to change manager, and if he stays and we get relegated then some will say we should have gambled and changed the manager ,,, so a rock and a hard thing :) :) just sayin like

I thought that was an excellent interview.

He certainly didn't shirk the question regarding the criticism of his time away with Scotland.

It's not surprising he didn't come out with anything earth shattering with regards to the reasons for our poor run. Fine margins, confidence, individual errors and a bit of bad luck, scoring the first goal is half the battle etc. Yeah they are clichés but they're hard to argue with.

I would have liked him to have been asked about apparent lack of fitness and the shambolic (from a fans view) preseason.

I still have confidence in him turning things around.

Dry yer eyes and get off the mock outrage bus.

All those calling for his jotters, just out of interest and to inject some realistic expectations, just tell us where abouts in the league you'd have us finish in a season where it isn't spectacular but wouldn't have you wanting him walking?

I'd be interested to know where the 7th/8th biggest team in the country (between us and Killie and granted 3 above us are in the league below) can reside without having its fans sharpen their knives?