The Next Manager, Who Would You Want And Who Could We Get

stuwell

Butcher's record was pretty poor with us, and then he walked away while still under contract after spinning porkies about mid-season holidays in Australia.

More worrying, he took over a Hibs side in a better (although still poor) situation and conspired to get them relegated.

He was the right man at the right time for his original stint. Not this time I fear.

No thanks.

Butcher built the success that every other Motherwell manager since has benefited from. For me he's the next best manager we've had after Tommy McLean.

He finished bottom with the club in administration and a team full of teenagers and a team budget of fuck all. Well so would 95% of all other managers. But would 95% of managers then built a team that then did well in cups, got a couple of Top 6 positions and was never in relegation danger again? Even in the poor season where there were mitigating circumstances he still managed some great results during that time v Hearts, Livingston, Rangers and Celtic that still stand out in the minds of fans that have seen hundreds of matches.

Butcher was probably the first manager to get us competing year after year for a Top Six place. It was him that turned us from being a struggling team that occasionally had a decent season to being a constantly good team. Like I said, everything since then has been built on the base Butcher left.

He also got us to a League Cup Final, a Scottish Cup Semi Final where we were the better team against Rangers and should have won (and if we had, we'd almost certainly won the cup) and another semi final that we lost after a bad individual mistake in the dying minutes.

Describing that as poor, along with the league finishes from the base that Butcher started from is ridiculous.

Personally I'd rather have someone new in but if Butcher comes in then I won't be too unhappy.

Hibs? That relegation was coming for years. How many managers have gone there and failed? Hibs were a club in terminal decline long before Butcher ever cast his shadow over the place.

• Like 1

Butcher was the ideal man for us in the situation we found ourselves in at the time. With a team full of teenagers, we needed someone who was able to fire the side up when it mattered, and we were fortunate enough to have the likes of Faddy and Pearson coming through at that time. He never struck me as a manager who had a great deal of tactical nous but he was able to get us playing fairly coherently (and with a bit of bite).

He may well suit what we need again just now, but I would far rather see someone in who could reshape our ethos a bit into something more forward thinking - that extends far further than just the manager, however.

• Like 1

So Butcher is tactically astute now is he? The bold steelboy has officially jumped the shark.

More so than McCall in that he has tactics.

His teams generally play with a narrow back four and get the ball and midfield runners into the final third as quickly as possible. It's not the most attractive style but when you saw his Motherwell and ICT teams you could tell that the players were playing to a specific plan.

How will that have anything to do with it? Go ask ICT, Dundee and Hibs how getting a guy who knew the Scottish game allowed the m to pull away.

Exactly why Butcher wouldn't get me vote. On the other hand, Craig Brown came in and turned us around when we were in disarray. I'm all for getting the best candidate but all things being equal, a foreign candidate would be a greater risk as it naturally takes longer to settle in and embed their ethos with a squad that has little scope for change before the summer.

Id take Van Der Gaag over the others rumoured to be on the shortlist but I'm disappointed by the lack of quality domestic candidates.

Lot of the water to go under the bridge yet though. At this point last time round, Sbragia seemed a certainty.

Bob Maskannt will do for me. We need a totally whole new outlook and way of playing and get new players in and the crap players out. Training needs changed. At the moment we're crap.Stale.Unfit and lacking belief.Complete overhaul required and for Kenny Black to say in the press today that the new manager has a lot of good quality to work with just shows how little he knows about football. We cant pass a ball 5 yards. Easily beaten week in week out. We also need to find funds from somewhere to get shot of Black and Marshall and get new coaching staff in as well. <_>

Wasn't so long ago that all we had to argue/debate about was whether we could be doing with a better right back than Tom Hateley!

Seems like an eternity ago.

Watching the first 10 mins yesterday with Kerr at right back I finally reached the decision Hateley wasn't too bad.

were entering a new era for the club and id hate if we started that off with the likes of shiels or stark in charge.van der gaag would be my choice he's managed and done not too bad at a decent level and would add some excitement amongst the fans which is something that is badly missing right now.

Bob Maskannt will do for me. We need a totally whole new outlook and way of playing and get new players in and the crap players out. Training needs changed. At the moment we're crap.Stale.Unfit and lacking belief.Complete overhaul required and for Kenny Black to say in the press today that the new manager has a lot of good quality to work with just shows how little he knows about football. We cant pass a ball 5 yards. Easily beaten week in week out. We also need to find funds from somewhere to get shot of Black and Marshall and get new coaching staff in as well. dry.gif

What are you rambling about now?! Do you expect him to say "new gaffers got his work cut out, these boys are shite.vigours CRAP! Ramsden and kerr CRAP! keeper is a midget and ojamma lately has been CRAP!"

Use your noodle man.

• Like 1

What are you rambling about now?! Do you expect him to say "new gaffers got his work cut out, these boys are shite.vigours CRAP! Ramsden and kerr CRAP! keeper is a midget and ojamma lately has been CRAP!"

Use your noodle man.

That's the kind of thing Butcher said when he took over at Hibs - another reason he isn't the man for a team in this situation.

for Kenny Black to say in the press today that the new manager has a lot of good quality to work with just shows how little he knows about football.

If you are so convinced the players are shit then why are you slating Black? He didn't sign them, he only coaches them. You can't polish a shit.

Don't let the fact it's the same squad that finished 2nd last year cloud your judgement either.

• Like 2