Motherwell V Dundee 21/02/15

Yabba's Turd

I'm all for the captain leading by example, but sometimes you have to give your team mates an earful when they're not pulling their weight, something he seems reluctant to do.

Lasley has always been a poor Captain.

Craigan told it like it was. If someone fucked up you could see him turning purple screaming at them. If the ref blew his whistle and was about to make a bad call against us, Craigan was right up at the ref the defending us.

Craigan was our last Captain, since then we've just had Lasley wearing the armband each week.

Don't get me wrong, I love Lasley but his footballing days are past him and his leadership qualities appear to be non-existent.

The players were bad but I still think the manager was culpable for yesterdays performance. When you have a team lacking in confidence (and ability) you keep it simple and put players in their natural positions. What you don't do is sign 800 wingers and then play a striker out wide, bring a striker back from long term injury and have him in the midfield and play the only guy we have the looks capable carrying the ball forward from the middle of the park (Grant) in a deep holding role with nothing in front of him. Our weekly 7 a sides game has more shape to it than that team we had out yesterday and I find it quite difficult to blame the players when they're being asked to carry out jobs they blatantly aren't suited for. Oh, and Sutton up front on his own. Good one.

• Like 2

What happened to players being dragged in the day after a defeat and made to burst a gut running.

Our pampered princes have been honking all season but still seem to train on par with a part time team. If I was the manager I would have had them in at 8am this morning doing shuttle runs up and down the hill on Airbles Road.

• Like 1

I haven't been to many games this season due to living in Edinburgh but went along yesterday after the rallying call from the club to get people along... I knew things were bad but fuck me that performance yesterday was something else! If that's how we've been playing this season we 100% deserve to go down.

I also convinced 3 mates to come along yesterday. Two of which don't really have a Scottish club but I would describe as Motherwell sympathisers. The kind of guys who could be convinced to come back on a regular basis. After that yesterday I don't think they'll be back this season. I actually apologised for bringing them along and them paying £20 to watch that. Absolutely embarrassing.

Best bit of the afternoon was watching a competition winner getting a run out at left back. Quite possibly the worst individual performance I've ever seen.

A few people have mentioned Ramsdens name in relation to not bothering his arse. Whilst his performances (along with the rest of the team) haven't been good this season. I thought he looked like he atleast cared yesterday...went mental a few times when teammates messed up simple passes and tried to raise the tempo a bit when it came to taking throw ins etc.

That was just a disorganised, kick and rush shambles of a performance.

Got to say, I struggle to concur about a lack of desire, the expressions on faces suggested to me every one of them were gutted about the game but to me it seemed like a lack of confidence, ability and a tactic that all combined to give 11 players who didn't have a clue what they were doing and made a ton of unforced mistakes. Thought Long was fairly neutral and you can see that Grant is a level about the rest. Hard to be critical on Sutton who couldn't get involved. But other than that the outfield players were very poor. For all Ainsworth has his flaws, at least when he came on he showed a bit of willing to run at people and get an OK ball into the box. Wasn't brilliant but at least did something.

They say the darkest part of the night is just before the dawn. I'm hoping and praying that was it but I have my doubts. Unless there is a marked improvement we'll be on a fans bus to Dumbarton next year.

Fucking shocking yesterday. We are doomed unless over the next 2 weeks some of the new players actually begin to look like they can play football.

Can understand people questioning Lasley as a captain because he doesn't seem vociferous but who would you pick as an alternative? There is nobody else who would be any better as captain at the moment.

Cannot believe how poor we were on Saturday, only just managed to calm down after watching that utter dross.

IMO Dundee were there for the taking, they weren't great either but had one major thing that we didn't have, organisation; they knew the formation they were playing and their jobs in it.

From what I seen we basically played with 2 midfielders in Lasley & Grant up against their 3, Johnson was listed as part of a 3 man midfield but was almost always as high up the park as Erwin & Moore, it was a 4-2-4 and it was obvious that it wasn't working after 10-15 mins. Moore got dragged deeper and deeper as the game went on, and when Johnson went off Erwin again ended up playing left wing? We are in danger of completely wasting 2 decent young players by constantly playing them out of position!

Our problems on the left wing are there for all to see, I've said it from the beginning of the season, whoever we have played there whether its been Vigurs, Erwin, Johnson, Straker, has always been posted missing and left whoever is playing left back completely exposed. Everyone has jumped on the boy Straker's back after that game, and yes I completely agree he looked totally out of his depth! But I've seen folk jump on Angol's back when he's played there too, with no one in front of him, and Reid, with no one in front of him, and Ferguson, with no one infront of him....anyone else see a pattern there?

We desperately need to get someone playing there with a bit of awareness of what they're supposed to be doing! Barraclough made a lot of reference to working on shape in the pre-match interviews, I seen absolutely no evidence of any of that in our midfield or forwards! Sutton was again given a thankless task of leading the line himself, and the long ball game we ended up playing just doesn't suit him or us.

I'm seriously hoping that we get the finger out but I'm really struggling to see where we are going to pick up any points, especially playing like that!

IMO Dundee were there for the taking, they weren't great either but had one major thing that we didn't have, organisation; they knew the formation they were playing and their jobs in it.....From what I seen we basically played with 2 midfielders in Lasley & Grant up against their 3, Johnson was listed as part of a 3 man midfield but was almost always as high up the park as Erwin & Moore, it was a 4-2-4 and it was obvious that it wasn't working after 10-15 mins. Moore got dragged deeper and deeper as the game went on, and when Johnson went off Erwin again ended up playing left wing? We are in danger of completely wasting 2 decent young players by constantly playing them out of position!

Our problems on the left wing are there for all to see, I've said it from the beginning of the season, whoever we have played there whether its been Vigurs, Erwin, Johnson, Straker, has always been posted missing and left whoever is playing left back completely exposed. Everyone has jumped on the boy Straker's back after that game, and yes I completely agree he looked totally out of his depth! But I've seen folk jump on Angol's back when he's played there too, with no one in front of him, and Reid, with no one in front of him, and Ferguson, with no one infront of him....anyone else see a pattern there?

Johnson, Moore and Erwin were playing midfield in an overelaborate 4-5-1 - really a 4-2-3-1. However all too often Sutton was left totally isolated. Most of the time some or all of Moore, Erwin and Johnson sat too deep. At one point Erwin was playing right back for several minutes. We had no shape and the players didn't know what they were supposed to be doing.

Your point about left wing is 100% correct and teams have had this sussed for weeks now. Thats the last 4 goals we've lost from the left side. On Saturday Lasley conceded a stupid and entirely avoidable foul resulting in the Dundee scorer being able to whip over a cross from the left with all the time and space in the world to do so.

Johnson, Moore and Erwin were playing midfield in an overelaborate 4-5-1 - really a 4-2-3-1. However all too often Sutton was left totally isolated. Most of the time some or all of Moore, Erwin and Johnson sat too deep. At one point Erwin was playing right back for several minutes. We had no shape and the players didn't know what they were supposed to be doing.

Your point about left wing is 100% correct and teams have had this sussed for weeks now. Thats the last 4 goals we've lost from the left side. On Saturday Lasley conceded a stupid and entirely avoidable foul resulting in the Dundee scorer being able to whip over a cross from the left with all the time and space in the world to do so.

Spot on Dave, and add to that our left back on the day being totally lost and clueless as to where he should be letting players stroll past him at every opportunity, so its obvious as to where our problems lie.

Spot on Dave, and add to that our left back on the day being totally lost and clueless as to where he should be letting players stroll past him at every opportunity, so its obvious as to where our problems lie.

Coupled with our left midfielder not paying enough attention to cover the left-back being out of position. Oh, and the goalie being a little out of position, too (I still find that one mildly amusing - if that had been Twardzik he would be getting ripped to shreds for being too wee).

It's all individual errors that you might get away with on their own, but when you string them together lead to us conceding goals, exactly what's been killing us defensively all season.

They say the darkest part of the night is just before the dawn. I'm hoping and praying that was it but I have my doubts. Unless there is a marked improvement we'll be on a fans bus to Dumbarton next year.

Whoever they are have just proven to be right. Just need to hope yesterday was dawn and not a false dawn!