Summer Football

Toxteth O'Grady

Love watching football in the summer. Also far better for the younger generation. Also this argument about doing other stuff in the sunshine seems pointless as there is more chance of someone deciding to watch football on a nice sunny day than it is on days like today.

Also the football on show is better as the conditions are far more conducive to passing football.

No brainier.

I've never heard any sort of reasonable argument against Summer Football. Aye, ok, we don't know what the weather is going to do from 1 minute to the next, but there is a helluva bigger chance of having a nice day in June than in January...it's utterly bonkers that we play through the worst months of the year and avoid playing in the best ones. As for the golfers worried about clashing in the Summer with fitba? I'm sure you could do both if you really wanted.

Brilliant football parks lying unused in the summer drives me nuts and then we hire them in the driving snow and hail...this country is fucked up. No wonder kids can't improve their skills when they are battling hypothermia whilst playing winter football in a country just outside the fucking arctic circle

Why wasn't it played in summer in the first place? Seems daft. Anyway, time to evolve or risk going extinct

This has always been something I've wondered. Dundee city council taking the goals on the riverside pitches as soon as the sun comes out infuriates me.

Why wasn't it played in summer in the first place? Seems daft. Anyway, time to evolve or risk going extinct

4 (randomly scheduled for TV) extra games in June won't stop us going extinct.

We need a league sponsor, less live games on TV, more predictable kick off times, more equitable split of revenue between clubs, bigger league, play each other twice only, winter break and cheaper gate prices.

Summer football elsewhere has shown it has no positive affect on attendances.

I might be off the mark but was it not the case that a number of cricketers latched on to football, particularly so in England, to keep them fit/busy during the winter? And because of those of guys some football clubs were actually formed out of cricket clubs.

I went to the rugby museum at Twickenham and the guide explained something that shone a light and made perfect sense. Rugby is traditionally a middle class sport in the UK because of initially it's public school origins but mainly because it was a contact based game. In the mid 19th century there was no social security, so if you didn't work or didn't have a secondary income then you and your family starved. Football therefore was adopted by the working classes as it was essentially non contact and rugby remained a middle/upper class sport as the chances of injury were much higher and therefore you had to have alternative means to support yourself.

Rugby is played in winter because the conditions suit it much better. I think Andy has it right on the button though, Notts County and a lot of the European powerhouses were ex-pat cricket teams initially.

The A-League has to play summer football, to coincide with the winter in Europe.

Should Scotland go to summer football it would be out of step with Europe.

I have to say that summer football would be the way to go.

I was sitting at Suncorp Stadium watching the Brisbane Roar win on a warm sunny afternoon beer in hand thinking about you lot in a cold Fir Park.....:beach:

Should Scotland go to summer football it would be out of step with Europe.

Some of Europe. In addition to Ireland, most of the colder UEFA countries play summer football (Armenia, Belarus, Estonia, Faeroes, Finland, Iceland, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Russia, Sweden...)

Even if you switch to summer football you'd still have to play in the winter. The club season lasts 10 months already and the international dates mean a 'summer season' would have to be even longer.

The start of Feb til the middle of December is still going to be mostly cold.

Of Course, the fact is that the Scottish Climate is generally shite all year round, we tend to get a few decent weeks somewhere between May and September each year though...therefore surely it makes sense to utilise these months and give it a bye in months that we know for an absolute fact that we're likely to be watching fitba in sub-freezing temperatures, or matches called off altogether?

Summer football would just result in more people picking up an English team.

Or TV companies actually bidding to get some decent competitive games on over the summer months. I would imagine corporate companies would be more easily persuaded to sponsor leagues and competitions if Scottish games were receiving more media interest.

Not sure about that, up against Wimbledon, cricket, the open, Olympics, Commonwealth, major football tournaments - do you really see us being an attractive alternative? I could be wrong but I doubt it would change much. The people in charge of our game have overseen a shambles for two years not getting a sponsor and with that comes clout for a better TV deal but BT and Sky can see we are desperate. We need to change that somehow and moving the season isn't the answer.

Summer football does nothing for me. For every pro there is a con and they have been discussed many times before but when you look at this winter, I think we have only lost Partick v Celtic and Dundee Utd v Inverness due to pitch issues and both were on extreme days. The other games that have gone have either been due to power or safety issues, both of which were admittedly weather related but wind and rain can happen any time of the year.