Motherwell V Hamilton 20/03/15

McCusker

Hopefully it provides the confidence to secure our top flight status. Hard to fault a man tonight, but was a very shaky first half where we rode our luck.

One moment of genius from Ainsworth changed game completely.

Think on tonight Sutton has to start before Erwin. Hes more of a goal threat, especially with Johnson on the wing.

But that aside, delighted with win. After first goal was total domination.

Moan the 'Well!

Highlights are up on youtube now (at least in the US). Looks like it was a cracking game. Ainsworth's first was a belter - no rotation on the ball as it flew in. Sweet strike.

Have to say if Imrie's had gone in it would have been even better. Shame.

• Like 1

I'm at home now and been thinking of what I'd put down for a bit and I'm not any clearer, just an odd game.

Out of the 4 best chances of the first half, they had 3 of them. However it felt like we were the better team apart from two 5 minute spells. Frustrated at how many set pieces were wasted with not beating the wall/first man/stray pass/corner going out for a goal kick. Baraclough didn't do his usual and switch wingers for 5-10 minutes, primarily I think because Lionel and Straker were not perceived a good combo for obvious reasons. Johnson does offer a little more cover.

However, was it needed? Few occasions I thought we had the next Maldini playing left back, half the time though he did raise the blood pressure as he will inevitably do. One move in particular will stick with me for a while, where he skipped past 3 players only put it into the middle of the Accies naughty team. Being 30 yards away from Imrie during a break and seemingly not running towards him, tempered the silkiness.

Second half, Ainsworth does what few others in our team do, shoot from outside the box and it paid off, credit to Keith for the quick free kick. Undoubtedly he has talent however my eyes do roll at times, he had an opportunity to put 3 balls into the box in quick succession and every one was poor. Saying that, 2 goals and an assist every match, I'll be happy for the rest of the team will carry him. His goal resulted in the despair falling on them and lift us. Bet he was raging at being hooked minutes before a hat-trick penalty opportunity.

Johnson's influence died out in the second half (not for the first time), don't know if that's down to engine or tactics. He was excellent in the first half, his pace is a tonic after the first half of the season. Sutton shows why he is potent in this league. Hasselbaink caused issues and Laing was lucky to get away with a couple, the others he was skinned. However Pearo allowed the forwards to play and he was the linchpin tonight.

For Johnson, it seems to be fitness - which isn't surprising. The gaffer mentioned in his interview that it's a big step up for him (from the Conference) and he has needed to adjust to the intensity of the higher league.

Great night tonight.

Agree with everything said about Straker & Pearson but genuinely think Louis Laing was our unsung hero tonight, he made a lot of important challenges and won nearly everything in the air against Scotland, McManus also put in a really good shift., I like how our back four is looking at the moment (apart from Straker's occasional howler), Josh Law uses the ball really well down the right flank.

• Like 1

Knew it was a great goal at the match but watching the highlights it's even better than I thought. That's a world class strike from Ainsworth, like something Gerard would have hit at his peak. He's scored a few of those types of goals for us but I think that might just have been the best one.

I have to admit that I'm a bit of a big softy on goalscorers. If you can score I can almost forgive you anything and last night was a good example of that. Two for Sutton, two for Ainsworth, both players with serious flaws in their games but you know what they sure as hell know where the back of the net is and you don't win games without goals.

I have still not saw the first two goals. I was talking to a few mates when the first went in, celebrated when we realised a goal was scored, turned back to finish the last wee bit of the converstation and we scored again!

Ainsworth is so, so annoying, he is anonymous for ages, looks disinterested then in half an hour shows us why we get so annoyed at him. Appears t have all the talent in the world, but little drive at times. As a wide player he is gonna drift out of games at times but it is his apparent lack of effort that is upsetting.

Pearo was outstanding. He did nothing fancy. But was great at what he done. him and Lasley are great in there together, I feel Las was hung out to dry a bit in the first half of the season. Left to do all the work. He is looking much better now he has someone to play beside.

Marvin Johnson has the look of something special at times, he's fast, skillfull and can put in a cross. Only a great interception/tackle stopped him settnig up Erwin, who was also great yesterday.

Handsome John is handsome John, does what he does and that's why we love him.

Laing dealt well with a few tricky opponents, McManus was solid enough, Straker had a few moments but he was good overall, He seems to make hard work of the simple things.

I had been championing Josh Law for the right back slot for months and in the last month or so he has been solid enough in there and is good on the ball.

Really pleasing overall and with the way things are looking good off the park recently it's nice to see that work pay off on the park.

An important win last night which puts pressure on our rivals today all of whom face tricky games. Accies are possibly the dirtiest team in the league and set out from the off to kick ten bells out of us. Martin Canning must take responsibility for that. They deserved 2 yellow cards within the first 2 minutes and the fact that the referee bottled it only led to further trouble. These weren't heat of the moment incidents - in my view they were premeditated. Lyons tackle on Johnson was a real shocker - fortunately he survived it.

We were surprised that Grant was dropped in favour of Ainsworth and this left a gap in front of the defence which Accies exploited several times although not productively. Both sides could have scored 2 or 3 in the first half, although we were the better side. We almost suffered heart attack's when Josh Law's tremendous shot almost found the net ...but at the wrong end. IB's decision to select Ainsworth however was vindicated in the second half when we tore them apart and what a goal Ainsworth first was. Johnson looks a good acquisition and Accies obviously agreed by their treatment of him. We looked solid at the back for the most part although Law's positioning gave cause for concern at times in the second half. Lee Erwin had a useful game up front although he does need to notch a goal and the he rarely won a ball in the air all night against the towering Tena - not surprising though given that the latter is 6-3 or 6-4 in height. Laing, McManus and Pearson all put in good shifts. You had to feel sorry for Keith Lasley as he took quite some punishment from his midfield opponents.

It was important to score the first goal and that opened things up for our attacking players. There's no doubt Accies underestimated us and they paid the ultimate penalty for that.

I thought lasley and Pearson were both poor in the first half neither of the two of them offered any protection to our defence however both stepped up to the mark in the 2nd half.

Long - did all that was asked of him

Law - played well but could have rivalled vergini for og of the season

Straker - much maligned but played well although got too cocky in 2nd half. Will always be a scapegoat no matter what he does.

Mcmanus - looks a lot better with Laing alongside him.

Laing - rough and ready but theres signs of a very decent centre half there.

Lasley - looks better with pearson alongside him

Pearson - think he has played a lot better but gives us drive.

Ainsworth - where's that performance been all season

Johnson - good signing his crosses are to die for. Needs to improve fitness.

Mcdonald - his worst game since coming back but still offers something

Erwin - played very well - I'm sure most were hoping he would get the opportunity to take the penalty.

That was a good night's work. I was a bit worried we had shot our bolt in the first 30 minutes like the Dundee Utd cup game but Lionel came up with a bit of class and once we had the two goal lead it was never in doubt.

We were very direct and with the players we have it's probably the only way we can play. I don't think it's a long term solution but given the fixtures we have left it should hopefully get us enough points to at avoid finishing bottom and if we have to go into a play off we'll at least have some confidence.

Big Erwin was immense and most of our play went through him, he just needs a goal and it'll all come good for him.

Big Erwin was immense and most of our play went through him, he just needs a goal and it'll all come good for him.

Got to agree. Big man is not far away. Just needs a break in front goal. He's only played about 6 or 7 games as an out and out striker I think.

Really unlucky not to score last night. We need to stick with him as offers more as an alround player.