Les Hutchison's Radio Clyde Interview

Yabba's Turd

The big massive fuck off elephant in the room still hasn't been addressed IMO. Do Motherwell fans actually want fan ownership? If we don't, then this is all gonna end in tears no matter how forthright Les is about the consequences.

I understand that fan ownership is seen as the only way forward and for that reason alone there is a view that it must work. The problem, and I shared the same reservation on the first page of the Well Society thread, is that I still don't think we have the fan base which has the financial clout and more importantly the desire to own the club.

• Like 1

I completely understand that view.

I buy my season ticket, have bought near enough every home and away top for the past 20 years (quite a few of which i've never even worn), and happily do so. I go to games and support my team on a Saturday/Sunday/Friday night, but my interest starts and stops with the referees whistle. I have no interest whatsoever in being involved beyond that.

I don't want any more involvement in what goes on behind the scenes than I do in the shops I buy my food or my clothes.

I have to say though, I did not think that way when I was younger, and it may yet change again.

• Like 3

The big massive fuck off elephant in the room still hasn't been addressed IMO. Do Motherwell fans actually want fan ownership? If we don't, then this is all gonna end in tears no matter how forthright Les is about the consequences.

I understand that fan ownership is seen as the only way forward and for that reason alone there is a view that it must work. The problem, and I shared the same reservation on the first page of the Well Society thread, is that I still don't think we have the fan base which has the financial clout and more importantly the desire to own the club.

Spot on. The vast majority of us (myself included) wanted to help the club build a cash reserve for hard times. I am sure with more effort we can get a few hundred more members, but to get 2000 fans to continually put more money into the club alongside season tickets and hospitality and travelling away not likely to happen. Quite simply people either do not have the money and/or have other priorities.

Les is a clever man - there is no doubt about that. He should have gone into this thinking - what if this does not come to pass. What happens then for him that is.

We should be and are no doubt indebted to Les as he has somewhat come to our rescue. Hopefully he will continue to back us for a few years yet. Maybe there will be another buyer out there. As long as we are run on a prudent budget with no debt, then we should survive come what may.

I buy my season ticket, have bought near enough every home and away top for the past 20 years (quite a few of which i've never even worn), and happily do so. I go to games and support my team on a Saturday/Sunday/Friday night, but my interest starts and stops with the referees whistle. I have no interest whatsoever in being involved beyond that.

I don't want any more involvement in what goes on behind the scenes than I do in the shops I buy my food or my clothes.

I have to say though, I did not think that way when I was younger, and it may yet change again.

This, 100%...

I wholeheartedly agree.

Just spoke to my uncle who was there to hear his feedback, and he was definitely not impressed with Les tonight. Said his attitude was terrible.

Other note he mentioned was if the Well Society does fail, we could be much worse off than we were before Les came in. The way we are budgetting at present, with the increase in outlay (owed to Les) we are really taking a gamble on a system a large percentage of our suport hasn't bought into. Fail to hit the WS target Les set, he pulls the plug, then where are we??

Just spoke to my uncle who was there to hear his feedback, and he was definitely not impressed with Les tonight. Said his attitude was terrible.

Other note he mentioned was if the Well Society does fail, we could be much worse off than we were before Les came in. The way we are budgetting at present, with the increase in outlay (owed to Les) we are really taking a gamble on a system a large percentage of our suport hasn't bought into. Fail to hit the WS target Les set, he pulls the plug, then where are we??

I was there also and was very impressed by him , candid and forthright.dont really know what people are expecting if they say his attitude is terrible.He has given an interest free loan and after 5 years wants his money back, pretty reasonable I would say.i was impressed by the whole top table, they seem to have good business brains
  • Like 1

Was there tonight also .If there are people who were not impressed , they must have been at a diffrent meeeting or not listening to the guy . He is the man that saved the club ,we were going out of business no money, the south Americans were ready to step in ,where would we be then. The guy answered question honestley and straight . He explained the state the club was in when he took over and how he has changed it,and his plans for the future. Ask a daft question get a straight answer some folk don't like that ?? Iv no got twitter so don't know what was said about the meeting . Les knows his stuff and supports the team we are lucky to have a guy like him at the club to sort out the mess. No way he was anything but honest tonight .

Personally, everything I've heard from him has been refreshingly straight forward and I've appreciated the honesty and knowledge he brings.

Don't think my uncle is under any illusions to what he has done for the club and fully appreciates his efforts and his honesty, thats not the issue. Think his gripe was mainly focussed around the way he spoke to some fans and answered some questions, like he was lacking respect for the fan base, and the pressure being put on the fans to buy into the Well Society - no plan B.

Wasn't there, so can't comment for myself. Interesting that there are very differing opinions, as always.

He has the upmost respect from what i heard, for the fans who live and breath MFC he said it a few times last night . Again don't get mixed up with straight talking and disrespect .Personally im not convinced fan ownership is the right way to go . But as he said ..... hes no giving us a hand out but a hand up .

I think, in the main, there's two types of people here:

1 - those that appreciate the straight talking and are, most likely, already members and/or are in a position to invest.

2 - those that are not in a position to invest and find the 'put up, or shut up' a little condescending & arrogant.

I fall in to the 2nd category.

A little like Al B mentioned, I buy myself and my son season tickets, buy my son home & away strips (amongst other merchandise), buy programmes, food/drink & half time tickets on matchdays and have sent my son to coaching through the Community Trust since he was a toddler (8 years and counting).

So is there any reason I shouldn't feel a little offended when I'm told I'm not doing enough for my club?

I would love to chip in but something would have to give.

Would the money I put in to the club via the Society be of more value than the money I contribute via MFC Community goalkeeper coaching?

• Like 3

I think, in the main, there's two types of people here:

1 - those that appreciate the straight talking and are, most likely, already members and/or are in a position to invest.

2 - those that are not in a position to invest and find the 'put up, or shut up' a little condescending & arrogant.

This is it exactly. Les is a "love him, hate him" figure essentially, depending on your point of view.

His honesty and straight talking is admirable, as is his desire to give the Society a chance to succeed. For those already supporting the Well Society, this will be the main aspects of Les's character that they focus on and applaud.

There's no question that he's quite arrogant though IMO. That's fine and won't be an issue for those already supporting the Society. But it starts causing a problem for those not yet persuaded by it. There were certainly a few negative comments & exasperated voices around me during some of Les's comments which, at times, were perceived as patronising lectures and demands the 'Well support prove themselves to him.

I don't think there's any doubt that both these descriptions of Les are pretty spot on, it just then comes down to whether more people are being put off by his arrogance than are being won over by his honesty, or vice-versa. Personally, I see no harm in pointing out his ego and arrogance will have a negative effect on some Motherwell fans, as it clearly did last night, and it wouldn't take much just to stick to the straight-talking honesty without folk feeling lectured at by a millionaire.

I've been a Society member since 2012 so it doesn't really bother me too much personally, but I can certainly see why some people get a little irked by some of Les's comments or tone.