Motherwell V Dundee Utd Sat 8 Aug 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Same boat for a couple,of years with my daughter, face painting at the stairs to Cooper, they also do free Match Attax cards, free juice with a round in the bar, they also are doing player selfies today for first time. Try and get a seat near front about 20 minutes before kick off and she can do high-fives/pics with mascots when they're walking the track - always goes down well. Oh, and try and ensure you have Frozen downloaded to your phone in case of emergencies....

Ideal, we're going to head up soon so she can get her face painted and check the rest out. Great shout for Frozen, make sure I take some earphones though, last thing anyone wants to hear is Let It Go..

Well the lesson from today was "If you don't score, the opposition probably will".

Fairly even match but I thought we probably created more chances and we certainly didn't deserve to lose the match but when the game is at 0-0 late in the match that's what can happen.

We started well and dominated the first 15 minutes or so but then let Dundee Utd get on the ball and lost our momentum. And that was the problem today, we only played in small patches and couldn't put down any significant spells of possession/domination. I also felt that for long spells we looked a bit flat and one paced, we didn't look like we were going up and down the gears. We weren't bad but it was all a bit predictable and therefore easier for Dundee Utd to defend.

Marvin Johnson had a few touches and he should have scored when he was put through on goal with only the keeper to beat but overall he didn't do much playing on the right. Joe Chalmers looked OK, he has good feet but doesn't have the pace or attacking instinct to really look at home in a wide forward position. That made us very narrow and without much explosive play. Again, Wes Fletcher looked quite impressive in spells but he was left isolated too often and there was far too many long balls being played out from the back. Ripley has a fair hoof on him but I really hope 80 yard balls out the goalkeepers hands doesn't become a tactic.

Also it was interesting to see Dundee Utd playing balls in behind Josh Law all match, obviously he had been identified as a weakness, and certainly most of the danger from Dundee Utd came down Law's side of the field, including the goal, which was a bit unlucky on Laing's part. The second goal will hopefully make the managers mind up that goalkeepers should stick to their own 18 yard box! Otherwise though Ripley looked commanding and made a couple of good saves.

On the upside I thought the new boys showed some promise but on the down side I thought Jack Leitch failed to really impose himself again.

With two tough matches coming up we are going to have to do better than today if we want anything out of them. We were a little bit unlucky today but at the same time we lacked a bit of edge.

Thought we were a tad unlucky today. By no means was it a terrific performance but over the piece I thought we were marginally the better side.

My only gripe was that our midfield relied solely on Johnson for creativity. That said, once we brought on a more offensive player (Thomas) he was partly to blame for the united opener by not tracking Dixon.

Good performances from Ripley lasley and Laing og aside. Wes fletcher also looks a handful. Thought McDonald and law were particularly poor today though.

We'll be fine this season. A lot of good stuff, final ball lacking on occasions but a lot of positives. Johnson missed a one on one with the keeper, Chalmers missed a chance at the back post.

Only complaint would be that we lost the game by going for it. Took Leitch (who had a decent game) off and put Clarkson on. Shape went to pieces after that. Second goal came after keeper went up for a corner.

Think we'll be alright with Leitch in the middle of the park. I think Ainsworth being back will make a huge difference as Utd were able to give Johnson too much attention today.

No points, but plenty to be positive about. Couldn't say that about most of our defeats last season...

• Like 2

BBC stats suggest a fairly even game. Late own goal and presume from sound of it hit late on counter adding a bit of undeserved gloss to a slightly fortunate lead for Utd?

Not much between the 2 teams, we cant afford not to take all the chances we created today, thats what cost us in the end, a draw would have been a fair result 2-0 flattered untd a bit. PS Madden is an utter arsehole of a referee, there 1st goal came from one of his dodgy decisions

Big goalie was excellent gutted for him at the end made some outstanding saves and had no chance at the end really. Jack Leitch done not bad but we need another centre mid in badly

Don't think another centre mid was the problem today. All our attacking threat coming down one wing was a bigger problem. Having Ainsworth and Johnson working in tandem will make a bigger difference than another centre midfielder...

Don't think another centre mid was the problem today. All our attacking threat coming down one wing was a bigger problem. Having Ainsworth and Johnson working in tandem will make a bigger difference than another centre midfielder...

Big marvin wasn't looking too good today and not wanting work same with moult when he came on not living up to the potential as what he was supposed to IMO

Big marvin wasn't looking too good today and not wanting work same with moult when he came on not living up to the potential as what he was supposed to IMO

They doubled up on Johnson, although he should have scored his one on one. Moult didn't click as well with McDonald as Fletcher had but I think showed some nice touches (a pass almost putting Thomas in springs to mind). We lost but I don't think there's any real need for doom and gloom or to look for problems. We looked dangerous at times and for the first 80 minutes, the defensive shape looked pretty good. How often could you have said that last season? Obviously if we keep having these hard luck stories then it becomes a problem but pretty confident that we're moving in the right direction...

pretty gutted with the loss today. First 30 mins I thought we looked excellent then it went to pot a bit.

I sort of expected a bigger crowd today as well and a bit more of an atmosphere, the bois corner looked half full and no drummer, it didn't half make a difference.

I will need to see the 2nd goal again but I thought it was offside, keeper out i'm sure the lad played it forward.....need to see it again tho.

disappointed by a few performances - josh law, chalmers (although he's not a left midfielder) marv was too in and out of it. anyway it'll be a long season and I think we'll be fine.

positive note: keeper looks exceptional, very impressive performance.

I thought it was a decent enough game to watch with us having the upper-hand for 15/20 minutes in each half. We look fit and well drilled, with the keeper, Lasley and 3 of the back 4 looking really strong.

A draw would have been a fair result but our lack of cutting edge cost us in the end. Pearson and Ainsworth were always going to be a big miss in that respect and so it proved. Skippy was left to do too much in midfield with Leitch offering minimal impact. This left Fletcher isolated and Marvin trying to do too much on his own.

This season will be one of fine margins that could see us finishing anywhere between 4th and 10th. Looking forward to Tynecastle. Hopefully Fletcher and Watt are fit.

• Like 1

Louis Moult has played 52 minutes of football for Motherwell so far. A bit early to say he's not living up to his potential is it not?! He hasn't even started a game yet.

They were. We scored their first for them and the second one only happened as we sent the keeper up looking for an equaliser. They didnt really look like creating anything themselves

True. Just really disappointing to lose our first home game.