Keith Lasley Testimonial - Bolton Wanderers

Andy_P

Shame there wasn't a better turnout

Like the look of Grimshaw- echoes of Jenno, fingers crossed

In other matters, Faddy looks like a man going through the motions of things he used to do, but can't any more- sad to see

Clarky, equally sad , looks horribly slow and ponderous- The White Pelé looked only marginally less mobile#actuallegend

Reid looked rusty at RB , replaced by the young lad McMillan who looked lively and desperate to get on the overlap

Robinson- sharper but isolated

Taylor- bit more involved but still don't see what his strengths are

Marv - very sporadic , don't suppose he'd any reason to burst his arse in a friendly but he just doesn't look to have the belief that he can beat his man often enough( shades of ZFA, dare I suggest)

Nice sunny day, just rather ininspiring all round

Enjoyable afternoon.

Attendance broadly as expected. We got around 2000 odd for Craigan's, around 2000 odd as far back as Johnny Gahagan's testimonial so between 2000-2500 is kind of par for the course for such games. Much credit to the 205 Bolton fans all the same who added to the occasion with their presence.

I thought it was quite lively in parts and a decent enough spectacle for a friendly. Not a huge amount between the sides but Bolton probably did enough to edge it.

I liked the look of Grimshaw who was very Pearson-esque at times with forward runs and there was a delicious pass he put through early in the second half that showed some good vision too.

I thought you could see a difference in Robinson for the additional week he's had training with us. Some more of that and some further bedding into the team and there might well be a player there that will be some benefit to us.

Taylor I thought showed a bit more, more so in the first half certainly. There were two or three runs he made that weren't picked up by team-mates when he was crying out for it and he was unlucky with that curling effort. Still a good bit to go you feel but steps forward on what we've seen so far.

Lovely to see some old heroes back in the claret and amber once again and fine receptions for them all. I expect Crags will be bealin that he was on the park two minutes and we conceded!

And as for Las himself it was wonderfully correographed for his laddie to come and score with the final kick of the ball. A great touch and novel play on the obligatory soft penalty that you get in testimonials. Nice too for him to take his acclaim around the stands at the end as well.

Aye, nice day and only positives to come from it for me.

• Like 3

Taylor was the interesting one for me, 1st half we looked like we were playing 3 centrally with Lasley as an anchor/DM, 2 wingers and thought Taylor looked a lot more comfortable in that role alongside Grimshaw with the security of another DM in there.

It may well have been the fact that it was obviously being played at friendly pace but he got his foot on the ball and for the most part kept the ball moving.

Nice touch to give the young 'un last kick of the ball and a nice day all round.

In other matters, Faddy looks like a man going through the motions of things he used to do, but can't any more- sad to see

Clarky, equally sad , looks horribly slow and ponderous- The White Pelé looked only marginally less mobile#actuallegend

Reid looked rusty at RB , replaced by the young lad McMillan who looked lively and desperate to get on the overlap

Marv - very sporadic , don't suppose he'd any reason to burst his arse in a friendly but he just doesn't look to have the belief that he can beat his man often enough( shades of ZFA, dare I suggest)

Thought Reid had a good half .

Craigan badly at fault for the 2nd goal!! The years of horror watching him marshall our defence came flooding back this afternoon.

Hopefully Keith and his family had a great day, he thoroughly deserved it, fantastic guy and servant to the club.....although I fear he's scarred young Alfie for life!!

Given that we are only turning out just over 3,000 fans for league home games I thought the turn out was decent and reflected well on Lasley's standing with supporters.

Say what you like about Clarkson but he put in our only decent cross of the match.....

For me Clarkson, Robinson and Taylor all showed a bit more than the last time I saw them. A bit more to go though to make any real difference in the first team.

Reid looked a bit rusty but ok for his second game back after a serious injury. McMillan looked good going forward but got done a couple of times defending which was not ideal.

Grimshaw looked tidy enough and could be that Jennings luke player we need.

Generally, we need to start shooting from outside the 6 yard box and/or drastically improve our final ball. We seem determined to cross it or play it in to the net!

Generally, we need to start shooting from outside the 6 yard box and/or drastically improve our final ball. We seem determined to cross it or play it in to the net!

I agree. At this present time we are a 90 minute ‘no goal’ to ‘one goal’ team, which will probably mean that we will lose us more games that we will win in the Premiership. Goals win games and unfortunately,that’s something that is in short supply down Fir Park way.

• Like 1

For me Clarkson, Robinson and Taylor all showed a bit more than the last time I saw them. A bit more to go though to make any real difference in the first team.

Reid looked a bit rusty but ok for his second game back after a serious injury. McMillan looked good going forward but got done a couple of times defending which was not ideal.

Grimshaw looked tidy enough and could be that Jennings luke player we need.

I agree. At this present time we are a 90 minute no goal to one goal team, which will probably mean that we will lose us more games that we will win in the Premiership. Goals win games and unfortunately,thats something that is in short supply down Fir Park way.

Seems just like national team , not enough who won't, probably can't take an accurate pop from distance.Friday night with Scotland was crying out for a player to welly one from distance ,against a massed defence

• 2 weeks later...