Next Gaffer?

Infamous Wee Grafter

[quote name="mio" post="455095" timestamp="1443825338

......is it acceptable anywhere outside football to call a 40yr old man a nickname??

Yes in the military it's still viewed as acceptable in fact in a lot of cases I can be unaware of their actual name.

It does concern me that he is possibly still too close to some of the senior players though.

As much as Jimmy C (and eddiemunster, the C isnae for Cumberland) is an unfashionable suggestion for Motherwell manager, if you just looked at his managerial record without your judgement being clouded by orange sausages, he should be in the running for the job!

The thought of 'Craggs' getting the job gives me the fear....as clever as he is, as loyal a servant he has been, his appointment would be a punt and our club simply cannot afford a punt!!!!

Don't get me wrong, calderwood has never been high on my wish list on any of the occasions when we've needed a manager but let's face it, he's never been relegated, won more games than he's lost and has a proven track record.

McGhee is arguably in the same category but if you were him, would you want to go back to a club who's fans sang about you being a nonce in response to you leaving that club for a better paid job with better resources?

Jimmy Calderwood has to decide whether to wear a tie or a belt, because if he wears both he looks like sausages.

Haha. I remember Frankie Boyle using that one on mock the week talking about Prescott (I think), couldn't control myself.

• Like 1

I'll not lie the reason I wouldn't want Calderwood is because I flat out don't like the guy. However beyond that I just don't really see that he's the sort of manager that fits with what it's claimed we're looking for. I'm in agreement that I think the next guy will have more experience than his predecessor however in Calderwood's case the last club he was at for any length of time was Aberdeen.

Since then it's just been short stints, parachuting in as a fixer or in the case of his last job resigning. In each of the last 4 positions he's had since he left Aberdeen in 2009 he's been at the club for less than a season. If we're looking for someone to "take the club forward" ⎌then I can't see that Calderwood is that guy.

Of the names being mentioned:

'Craggs' - cannot understand why he is even being considered unless it is simply out of courtesy. Up until the summer he had no more experience than I have of managing a football team. Also this 'senior players' chat concerns me. We need one manager not half a dozen and I don't think Craigan is the man to distance himself from all that.

'Jimmy Calderwood'- it is very difficult to argue with his record. His success as Aberdeen manager was impressive and he achieved heights with them in Europe that McIness has yet struggled to match. It just seems like a step back in time though, with potentially old school method, so maybe a little uninspiring.

Mark McGhee- 'August to Christmas of his first season was the best football I have ever watched a Well side play, and arguably the best football I have watched any Scottish side play. His handling of the Phil situation will never be forgotten which is why I was really saddened by his treatment by Well fans on future visits to Pittodrie. His second season however was at times torture to watch and he has a 9-0 thumping by Celtic as Aberdeen manager on his CV. A switched on McGhee however I would take back in a second.

Simo Valakari- the kind of appointment, I would love to see our club make but it could be Baraclough all over again. Success at a lower level, thorough, professional, hard working, forward thinking but would he have the presence to knock the ego's in the dressing room into shape? Would be very interesting to find out but a risk.

So in summary, who would I want based on all this. Jim Gannon of course!!!!!!!!!

McGhee is arguably in the same category but if you were him, would you want to go back to a club who's fans sang about you being a nonce in response to you leaving that club for a better paid job with better resources?

I think most of those in the game accept theres a degree of the Pantomime with fans and those who have moved on. However as like everything some take it too far either from the safety of a keyboard or row J of the East Stand.

I always cringed at some of the comments and booing directed to Reynolds and Lee McCulloch.

McGhee has a skin as thick as a rhinos arse cheek so I'd be surprised if he still has a petted lip.

As for the managers considered, I think a number of us have to get our heads round the fact that we will be attractive to the new up and coming guys looking for a break, the journeymen and those trying to rebuild their reputations. All have their pro's and con's, we've gambled in the past and we've got a 50-50 success rate. New guys can be offered contracts that are easy to cancel, older guys not so much.

That story about Calderwood bullying and ostracising Ryan O'Leary at Kilmarnock when he found out he had depression made me a bit uncomfortable about the idea of him ever managing us.

Makes you wonder what other dinosaur views he holds.

If you're interested in a new manager and want an entertaining brand of football, Russell Latapy would be my choice. Not experienced as a manager, but by all accounts, a terrific tactician playing flowing

football and has a great eye for developing youth.

Interesting times ahead. Fingers crossed for the right man this time round!

• Like 1

If you're interested in a new manager and want an entertaining brand of football, Russell Latapy would be my choice. Not experienced as a manager, but by all accounts, a terrific tactician playing flowing

football and has a great eye for developing youth.

Interesting times ahead. Fingers crossed for the right man this time round!

It will be interesting to see how John Hughes gets on without him this season.

That story about Calderwood bullying and ostracising Ryan O'Leary at Kilmarnock when he found out he had depression made me a bit uncomfortable about the idea of him ever managing us.[/quote

You mean the story that someone posted on an Internet forum and is now therefore a FACT?

File under utter bullshit

That story about Calderwood bullying and ostracising Ryan O'Leary at Kilmarnock when he found out he had depression made me a bit uncomfortable about the idea of him ever managing us.[/quote

You mean the story that someone posted on an Internet forum and is now therefore a FACT?

File under utter bullshit

O'Leary told his story about depression and outed Calderwood in the process.

Anyone considered Ray McKinnon at Raith? Granted he only joined them in May, but is sitting 2nd in the Championship and will have good lower league contacts having been at Brechin before.

I'm not sure what sort of football he plays but seems to be rated highly from what I've read...