Next Gaffer?

Infamous Wee Grafter

Ian Cathro is the perfect appointment for our "Club Strategy". A young highly rated coach with great connections. Pity we will never get or even go for him

Genuine question, what actually is the 'Club Strategy'? Obviously I've heard Les bang on about it and also heard Flow discuss what we're "trying to do" with the community stuff and being better organised and the like. However without wanting to sound like a dick the more I've heard the more idealistic and naive it seems. To the point that it's beginning to sound like our football "strategy" is "we'll bring in a manager who can identify and sign some players cheaply that we'll sell on for £££s".

It's almost like we've become completely distracted by some overarching 'project' that we're overlooking the fundamental part of having a manager in place who knows how to set up and put a winning side on the park.

Say for example, we've got two options; one experienced guy with a decent track record and one bright, blue sky thinking up and comer who talks a good game and says he's going to develop our youth team. In this circumstance which guy are we going to go for?

Genuine question, what actually is the 'Club Strategy'? Obviously I've heard Les bang on about it and also heard Flow discuss what we're "trying to do" with the community stuff and being better organised and the like. However without wanting to sound like a dick the more I've heard the more idealistic and naive it seems. To the point that it's beginning to sound like our football "strategy" is "we'll bring in a manager who can identify and sign some players cheaply that we'll sell on for £££s".

It's almost like we've become completely distracted by some overarching 'project' that we're overlooking the fundamental part of having a manager in place who knows how to set up and put a winning side on the park.

Say for example, we've got two options; one experienced guy with a decent track record and one bright, blue sky thinking up and comer who talks a good game and says he's going to develop our youth team. In this circumstance which guy are we going to go for?

There's been endless discussion about the strategy in various forums and at club Q&As.

However, it has included things like an overhaul of the Board, improved business practices, Marketing manager, sports scientists involved with the training, a new scouting network, and investing some transfer fees in players with stated goal of selling them on.

• Like 1

There's been endless discussion about the strategy in various forums and at club Q&As.

However, it has included things like an overhaul of the Board, improved business practices, Marketing manager, sports scientists involved with the training, a new scouting network, and investing some transfer fees in players with stated goal of selling them on.

Cheers. I'd noted all that stuff and had a idea of what it covered given the announcements about re-structuring, marketing manager's employment etc. Though wasn't sure as to whether it was fitting under a specific brief or simply just a streamlining or basic improvement of business practices under the new owner. Essentially whether there was a 'strategy' specific to the playing side of things or was it a broad more holistic approach.

I suppose what I was wondering was how the strategy itself marries in to the first team managerial role, if it indeed does, and by extension how it affects the sort of selection criteria we're looking at, if that makes sense.

For example are we looking to go down the 'head coach' style route with a narrower remit than a traditional manager.

Edit: For clarity, the reason I was asking was I noticed when Mr Hutchison was interviewed by Richard Gordon last night he was asked about the sort of candidate the club would be looking for and his response was "our strategy hasn't changed" and wondered how in practical terms the strategy applied to the criteria for appointment.

I really fear some of the names mentioned and really don't see any of the early favourites get the job other than Craigan.

I think we need someone who knows the Scottish game so at this stage guys like Van der Gagg and Maskant are too much of an unknown quantity which is another gamble.

Lambert,Coyle and even McLeish are prob out of our reach

People suggesting Alan Johnson surprise me as he made a James Blunt of the Killie job.

I would like someone like Nigel Clough, he knows the English league and def knows the Scottish leagues you only need to look at players he signed Johnny Russell, Craig Bryson and of course Higdon.

I think he tics most of the boxes if not all

Even if he were interested (and after being messed around last year, why would he be?), can't see the club going for Van Der Gaag. Be like an admission they got it wrong last time.

Of all the names mentioned here or in the media, those that appeal the most are those that we'd be least likely to attract. Billy Davies or Billy McKinlay would be decent appointments but can't see them coming here. The likes of Allan Johnston and Danny Lennon are probably attainable but would leave me unconvinced.

With the international break coming up, reckon we'll have Craigan for the next two games anyway. I reckon we'll make a quicker appointment than last season but will take at least a couple of weeks...

There's no chance Nigel Clough is coming up here to manage us.

I liked the idea of Van der Gaag the last time because he had success in a top European league, would have had an idea of the limitations of the club and the Dutch have a good record of adapting to Scottish football. However he's at Eindhoven now so there's no chance of getting him.

Until the club release a short list or we start getting info about who is being interviewed we're in needle in a haystack territory. Speculation is pointless.

Ian Cathro is the perfect appointment for our "Club Strategy". A young highly rated coach with great connections. Pity we will never get or even go for him

He was also mentioned last time around. Has he ever managed a club? I get the impression he's a young man in a hurry. Although he seems to be "rated" what has he actually done or achieved?

Maybe I'm being a bit negative but I'm surprised that names like Mixu Paatelinen and James Fowler are being mentioned. While the former did well at Kilmarnock his spell at Easter Road was far from impressive. The latter has been in management for 12 months only and his taken his side to 6th out of 10 ie mid table. Stephen Craigan is completely untested.

I've had the pleasure of standing beside James Fowler when he was at Kilmarnock, player/coach role in an Under-20 game v Edusport academy. The man knows tactics and from what I gathered had a lot of respect from the boys o the pitch - including 5/6 first team players. Their manager Allan Johnstone turned up for the the last 15 minutes and took the reigns mind and he was just a very angry manager!

Although, that is one game out of many BUT I could certainly see a man capable of going through a team of underachievers and not missing!

Two different guys at work have had texts saying Paulo Di Canio has thrown his hat into the ring.

Might not be accurate but it would certainly be amusing to watch him come in and quell any unrest in the dressing room or anywhere else in Motherwell for that matter

i think that would be great he is a nutcase but theres no denying hes a workaholic who if they were open to his methods our players would improve greatly.

I really want to avoid the ex old firm wankfest. So I think the final list of criteria we should forward to the board is:

Not English

Not foreign

Not ex rangers or Celtic

Not un-tried

Not a usual suspect

Not Stuart McCall

Not Maurice maples

Never been fired before

Not attached to a club

Motherwell connection preferred

Does Russell latapy's spell at rangers really count? I like him and by all accounts was a big part of ict's success last year.