Dundee Utd V Motherwell Tue 16 Feb 19:45

Yabba's Turd

:lol:

Raging we didn't lose, eh?

Not at all. My opinion of Mark McGhee doesn't stop me wanting Motherwell to win football games. But at the same time, one win against the team bottom of the league doesn't change my opinion of him.

Particularly pleased that we found a way to win a game with five players (Laing, Hall, Cadden, Moult and Johnson) that we'd probably put in the category of "players we hope to develop and sell". That for me is what we should be looking at. Can we win games while developing these players? Last night indicated the answer is yes. The experienced players did well but the fact that Cadden, Hall and Laing all played their part hopefully puts to bed the myth that we need to rely on senior players until we are safe...

Not at all. My opinion of Mark McGhee doesn't stop me wanting Motherwell to win football games. But at the same time, one win against the team bottom of the league doesn't change my opinion of him.

Particularly pleased that we found a way to win a game with five players (Laing, Hall, Cadden, Moult and Johnson) that we'd probably put in the category of "players we hope to develop and sell". That for me is what we should be looking at. Can we win games while developing these players? Last night indicated the answer is yes. The experienced players did well but the fact that Cadden, Hall and Laing all played their part hopefully puts to bed the myth that we need to rely on senior players until we are safe...

Not taking anything away from the younger players but the correct mix needs to be achieved. Experienced players are key. Evidenced by last night's goals and assists column in part.

What last night for me proved was we can drop some 'senior' players and still play well. But we couldn't get rid of them all.

• Like 1

Not taking anything away from the younger players but the correct mix needs to be achieved. Experienced players are key. Evidenced by last night's goals and assists column in part.

What last night for me proved was we can drop some 'senior' players and still play well. But we couldn't get rid of them all.

I know this but it's be very easy to play it safe with the team lineup and drop Cadden and Hall. I've heard people mention an interview where apparently the manager has stated that he'll play the young players when we're safe from relegation. For me, you find out more about these players when the pressure is on and the game means something. Playing alongside these experienced players when this is the case, they'll learn more than playing alongside an experimental lineup for the last three games of the season when there's nothing to play for. For the club's financial model, we need these guys to learn and develop, alongside experienced players.

I note with interest that a 14yo made his debut for the under 20 side yesterday. If you're good enough, you're old enough...

• Like 1

I wouldn't say absolute gifts.

No, they weren't were they? Skippy's second was hit from 30/35 yards out - a good strike. Just watched the highlights. A good performance and great result but we shouldn't get carried away. The defence still looked vulnerable, central defenders excepted - United were gifted plenty of space on the flanks and on the edge of our box but fortunately weren't good enough to exploit it. That hasn't always been happening as teams like ICT, Ross County and Kilmarnock proved. Irrespective of the formation or personnel we have to start making teams work far harder for their opportunities.

Tremendous result. Going by comments from McGhee and others it sounds like it was a fairly brutal game of football but can't argue with a clean sheet and 3-0.

Not having been at the game it's difficult to know how effective we were in a broader sense in that shape whether it's something that worked purely as a one off or whether we could run with it for a few games.

On the face of it with a bit of work the 3412 could answer a few of our problems;

- allows the possibility of 5 in the middle of the park without sacrificing a striker
- gets McFadden on the park and means we're not solely relying on Johnson for creativity
- allows 2 centre halves to focus on marking/stopping in the knowledge there's a covering CB there to sweep.
- Cadden & Johnson are still there to provide width

The main concern I suppose would be whether or not Johnson could get exposed in that role against a better team than United but equally looking at a bench with Pearson, Hammell, Law, Ainsworth and Thomas it'd be fair to say there would be scope to switch things if need be.

Anyway, a cracking result. Credit to McGhee & the players. Was pretty satisfying to hear that the change in shape & personnel worked.

Edit to add: the obvious caveat is that it'd depend on what sort of shape the opposition are playing 3412 would be fine going like for like or against a 442 but it's be totally pointless against a 4231 where you'd end up having 3 centre halves marking 1 striker and no full backs.

• Like 1

1st half was pretty brutal, our goal with the last action of the half was the first attempt on target I remember.

Sort of break we needed.

Rode our luck early in the second half and were under a bit of pressure, but other than one scramble where Ripley made a mess of taking a cross and United hit the bar, we limited them to few real chances.

When the 2nd went in they were beat.

3rd was scandalous from a united point of view McDonald had all day to tee it up and pick his spot.

Formation worked well, was good to find a way of accommodating 2 up front without playing an unbalanced or powderpuff midfield, and worked well defensively too, covered for McManus charging out attacking balls (although he won them all anyway!).

For anyone at the game, how did Louis Laing play last night? Was surprised to see him come into the starting 11 as he seemed to be well put the picture.

From the highlights it looked like he had 1 or 2 small errors that luckily weren't punished by Utd but would be interested to hear how he fared?

Well done Mark McGhee , a bold selection.If he was awake at4am the other morning , it shows how committed he is .....or he was just coming in.....anyway a welcome result and 2 great goals fro McDonald, who hasn't always delivered this season

Is that the time he leaves to catch his flight up from his Brighton home?

For anyone at the game, how did Louis Laing play last night? Was surprised to see him come into the starting 11 as he seemed to be well put the picture.

From the highlights it looked like he had 1 or 2 small errors that luckily weren't punished by Utd but would be interested to hear how he fared?

He made a mistake early on that let a United player in. He got a shout to play it to Ripley, but tried to play it up the line and gave it away.

Fortunately the boy chose to shoot from an acute angle instead of pulling it back.

Otherwise he was pretty solid and played a few decent passes.

• Like 1

Good god !!!

If people think we've got problems with the dressing room and the managers public comments about some of his team, then I'd hate to be a terror.

On the topic of the manager, I'm really glad that one of his tactical re-jigs has worked for him. Think what you like of him, it was a bold move to do that last night.

I would take a 3-0 win every week even when not playing well, but were Utd as piss poor as Thompson says in his rant or was it just a rant that perhaps his players didn't merit?

The reason I ask is, was last night a true indication of us turning the corner or us simply managing to turn over a team who are just more shite than we are?

The reason I ask is, was last night a true indication of us turning the corner or us simply managing to turn over a team who are just more shite than we are?

Either way, by winning 3-0 the belief should come back and be some sort of a springboard. Got to say given some of the turgid nonsense that made the club's highlights package I suspect this was far from a classic!

Either way, by winning 3-0 the belief should come back and be some sort of a springboard. Got to say given some of the turgid nonsense that made the club's highlights package I suspect this was far from a classic!

I don't remember much of note that didn't make the highlights.

Faddy had a couple of nice turns and runs, but that was about it.

United werent great, but for a change we got the breaks at the right time. Last 20 minutes their heads were down and they were awful.

A 3-0 win is a 3-0 win and shouldn't be in any way diminished. Sometimes winning ugly is the only way to do it and relegation battles are seldom classics and hopefully Tweed is right that simply by virtue of the margin, it will spur the team on for the coming weeks.

I would take 9 ugly points from the next 12 in a heartbeat!!!

• Like 1