Hearts V Motherwell Sat 16 January

Graeme Bremner

That's the point I was trying to make K McA

So what you're trying to say is that Mark McGhee, employed by Motherwell FC to win football games, deliberately sent out a dreadful team selection in order to prove that he needs more players? Quite an accusation...

And also the most laughable nonsense I've read on here for a while. Do you not think that McGhee is eloquent enough to make the point to the "money men" about what he feels are Leitch's and Cadden's shortcomings in order to secure a new signing or two?

Frankly, that performance on Saturday, would you trust the man that picked that team to spend money on players? Maybe the board won't want to sanction any of his signings.

Absolute bollocks. But no more so than McGhee deliberately chucking a game to prove how threadbare his squad is. His ego wouldn't allow it for starters...

So what you're trying to say is that Mark McGhee, employed by Motherwell FC to win football games, deliberately sent out a dreadful team selection in order to prove that he needs more players? Quite an accusation...

Although I'm not saying its true in this instant Greg, its not as absurd a suggestion as you might think. We've had examples of managers deliberately keeping the same 11 on the field for the second 45 after having lost a barrowload in the first half just to make the players suffer; managers who "rest" players in games at in Ibrox and Parkhead. I've known quite a few managers in my time (not in football admittedly) who were more than happy for obstinate staff to make mistakes just to prove a point. Its called management and there is more than one way to skin a cat. Another tool is vicious compliance, which I've used myself when a colleague simply wouldn't listen. Football managers are infamous for employing all kinds of tricks and stunts.

He's 22 but he runs like he's 42.

I'm sure he's a world beater at fives, but the simple fact is that a decent level of pace just isn't a preference these days, it's a necessity.

It's not as if he's an old head who should be in ahead of the likes of Watt, he just looks like an old pair of legs.

I suspect we'll add to the squad with a couple of loan players, but more than likely at the end of the window, when the bargain clearance bins are rolled out. If you're on a Cash Converters budget, you shop accordingly .

Unlikely that we will find an uncut diamond to polish, but hopefully a decent turd we can roll in glitter .

McGhee has always said he needs to assess the squad. Yesterday he played Chalmers I think for the first time. Now he knows about him. I also wonder if he was making a point to the money men at the club. He played Law in midfield where he is not very good. So now he can go to them and say look I need two midfielders because Law is no use there Cadden and Leitch are not ready and we could be in trouble again this season if we do not get people in.

I've love to be a fly on the wall if you and Steelboy got together discuss your conspiracy theories, Half Time draw, McGhee doing this, who really killed Diana and 9-11, you could sell tickets .....

Simple thing is, some days in football the planets align and everything clicks, Saturday was not one of those days. It was a car crash from start to finish. Interesting to see how we pick ourselves up for the next game because that scoreline eradicated a lot of the good work done over the past month.

Next!

Simple thing is, some days in football the planets align and everything clicks, Saturday was not one of those days. It was a car crash from start to finish. Interesting to see how we pick ourselves up for the next game because that scoreline eradicated a lot of the good work done over the past month.

Next!

That's a great point.

Saturday was one of those days for Hearts!

There's no doubt we had a bad day and didn't deserve anything from that game, but as others have said, we did have chances.

On another day, Hearts 1st goal stays out (not seen anything conclusive to say it was in), they don't get the 1st penalty and Motherwell take their chances. All of a sudden we're 2-1 up on the hour mark.....

That's a great point.

Saturday was one of those days for Hearts!

There's no doubt we had a bad day and didn't deserve anything from that game, but as others have said, we did have chances.

On another day, Hearts 1st goal stays out (not seen anything conclusive to say it was in), they don't get the 1st penalty and Motherwell take their chances. All of a sudden we're 2-1 up on the hour mark.....

The first goal was crucial on Saturday( and I'm convinced it wasn't in) their confidence grew whilst some of our players seem to go into a shell and didn't want the ball to build anything from the back.

Even at 3-0 if we had taken one of the chances we had I thought we could've got something out of the game, but their 4th just sucked the remaining hope out and we seemed to lose all shape.

As everyone has said McGhee got the team all wrong, I still maintain the player's need to take their half of the blame as well. The reaction on social media has been a bit much though. We have been lacking depth in midfield for some time and the result was Saturday. We need to get shot of Chalmers, Robinson, Samson & Clarkson ASAP. Total waste of wages. On a separate point, I'd like to see Cadden and other youth given more game time rather than Dom Thomas. Whilst Thomas hasn't been given a lot of game time I think he has had more than most and recently hasn't impressed. Doesn't seem to be living up to his early appearances for us.

I don't believe we need both Twardzik and Samson, only really need 2 senior keepers on the books. Get rid of one, don't really care which one but I would assume Samson is on bigger wages.

Twardzik is nowhere near good enough for the premiership never has and never will be. I would keep Samson he has proven experience in the top league and when Ripley goes back to Boro at the end of the season he could be a competent first choice for us.