Fir Park Pitch Criticised On Bbc Website

Kmcalpin

Once again on the beeb:

Canning believes that Hamilton's surface it is better than many grass pitches in the Scottish Premiership.

"Our pitch in particular, we enjoy playing on," he said. "When you go up to places like Ross County, St Johnstone or Motherwell at times - and this is not having a go at the ground staff, it's just the conditions and weather we get in the country - to keep grass pitches in a good condition for a long time is difficult

Cheeky fcuker Canning, what about Dundee? Partick? A few years back we deserved the criticism but it seems as if it has stuck despite our pitch being pretty good at the mo.

• 1 month later...

This probably isnt the right place for this but i didnt want to open a new topic for it. Has anyone heard anything more about us moving up the craig? I know that this rumour has always been going around but I heard it again recently via my girlfriend whos sister in law works for the council planning department.

[quote name="Lobey_Dosser" post="469417" timestamp="

Don't fancy Motherwell moving to Ravenscraig though, such a bleak area.

The area is being continually developed so if the new stadium is done correctly with integrated bus/ train stops and some leisure facilities it could also become a venue for other events.

The area is being continually developed so if the new stadium is done correctly with integrated bus/ train stops and some leisure facilities it could also become a venue for other events.

It's been getting continually developed for years though with the majority of plans failing to come to fruition.

While you might expect that would be necessary, it's North Lanarkshire Council we are dealing with here. I fear if we did go down that route we'd end up with a shoe box stadium, no public transport and 20 quid to park your car.

It's been getting continually developed for years though with the majority of plans failing to come to fruition.

Ravenscraig regeneration is still going ahead although the focus on a new town centre has been dropped or decreased, I'm not sure which. The entire site needs development and part of that is the construction of new housing, which is badly needed. The site could well accommodate a new stadium but the financing will be a huge stumbling block. I just wonder how Aberdeen and their Council can afford a new ground.

This probably isnt the right place for this but i didnt want to open a new topic for it. Has anyone heard anything more about us moving up the craig? I know that this rumour has always been going around but I heard it again recently via my girlfriend whos sister in law works for the council planning department.

I know that there is land up for grabs. I contacted the owners of the site last month looking at the prospect of renting land for an airsoft site. I got the impression that they had large areas without plans for it but apparently couldn't rent to me due to insurance reasons.

Would hate to move to new stadium. Also not good for local businesses. Can hardly go for post or pre match pint if in middle of Ravenscraig site.

New businesses will come in. The area needs to evolve as do all cities, towns and villages. As much as we love Fir Park, it is no longer fit for purpose.

To a degree, they do!

The whole ethos is to be a community club, and with that, contribution to the local economy should be expected.

If the club were ever to move up there, I would expect it would be part of a much wider development plan.

I used to knock about with a lad who was a civil engineer who worked on the ravenscraig site during the 90s shortly after the steel mill was demolished who told me way back then that they had plans already drawn up for a whole new town that was funded for build. The draw back was that there was considerable soil pollution meaning that the site wouldn't be fit for development for in some parts decades.

Perhaps this is why it remains so desolate?

Developers are spending considerable time battling for planning permission to build 1,000+ homes across other parts of Motherwell.

Meanwhile they don't touch the vast space at Ravenscraig with a barge pole. Think that tells its only story regarding concerns over land.

Was there not a protest recently too to ensure a school didn't get built there?