Marv Birmingham Mail

livivoice

What is annoying me is McGhee talking constantly about it in the press. It just attracts more attention to the matter. As long as w can get a great deal and also add in a sell-on clause

giphy.gif

I seriously hope that the club would consider the "Calderwood" factor when doing business with any club employing him. He is a proven c*** of the highest order and we should just tell him to f*** off.

Not a fan of Calderwood due to that particular incident by any stretch of the imagination, but it is utterly ridiculous to suggest if Brighton meet our asking the price, that we turn it down based on who their assistant manager is. Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face...

What we need is for Johnson to have a stormer tomorrow night and rip Celtic apart. We get into next round and his value and appeal goes through the roof.

We need to beat Celtic tomorrow, everything else is an irrelevance, frankly.

I'm just astounded that hibs are knocking back £1m plus for Cummings and we're getting offers of £300,000 for one of our best players. I would've been relatively happy with £500,000 for marv, making a £450,000 profit isn't a bad piece of business. I just don't think we can sell him for anything less than a million now (whether that's a one off payment or has the potential to become at least a million with sell on fees and appearance fees). Clubs won't take us seriously if we say we want a million and then roll over and accept £750,000 and we'll continue to receive low ball offers. The club seems to be more astutely run nowadays though so here's hoping if he is to go it is for at least a million.

There doesn't seem to be any logic to the fees being mentioned for players. Compare Cummings at one end with the £100k offered for McGennis (admittedly also turned down).

I thought that was weird as well. For all Magennis has looked like a diddy for ages, he's really worked at his game to be a threat, seems to have a great attitude, is physically more robust and is hardly ancient compared to Cummings either,

There doesn't seem to be any logic to the fees being mentioned for players. Compare Cummings at one end with the £100k offered for McGennis (admittedly also turned down).

It depends what you're comparing or where you're looking for the logic I suppose. Cummings is 21 has only just signed a new 4 year deal at a club who won a trophy last year and you'd think are pretty much aiming solely on getting promotion this season, he's viewed as a key part of that and presumably Hibs don't want to sell him. If he scores goals to get them promoted then his value to them in terms of increased income that would follow would, you'd think, be worth £1m to them, assuming they don't actually *need* to sell him.

Magennis on the other hand is about to turn 26, is in his last year of his contract and Killie, it'd appear are open to getting what they can for him rather than lose him for nothing at the end of the season. They've also got their own board room problems and posted significant losses so you'd think they'd be keen to get some money in for an asset whose value is soon to be negligible.

Beyond that as many have said on here, a player's only worth what someone else is willing to pay. So in that respect it's a case of who's making the offers and what they're willing to spend: Charlton were relegated last season and are a bit of a basketcase. At the very least there's a lot of friction between fans and board/owners. It'd be surprising if they'd be chucking a lot of money about. On the flip of that you've got Peterborough who seem quite happy to be spendy and have a wealthy owner who quite likes the attention.

I thought that was weird as well. For all Magennis has looked like a diddy for ages, he's really worked at his game to be a threat, seems to have a great attitude, is physically more robust and is hardly ancient compared to Cummings either,

I'm not a huge fan of Cummings but he scores goals and Magennis doesn't and there is the difference in valuation. It's also the difference in valuation with Johnson. Cummings has 50 goals in 112 matches and that's what the game is all about.

Hibs have placed a £5m price tag on Cummings' head - only to scare off timewasters of course in the short term. As with Dundee United, any half decent Hibs youngster is looked upon as being world class. Hibs like United are successful at marketing their youngsters.

Key things that bump the price of him up:

- 4 years to go on contract. Hibs don't need to cash in yet.

- Younger than Cummings. Has more sell on value potential for the buyer.

- Better than Magennis and scores more goals. Different types of players but both strikers.

Add all the above and the asking price is boosted.

I think the £300,000 offer for Johnson is actually probably quite a good thing, as it has given us the platform to publicly reject the offer and "slap" a price tag on him. Had Oxford not made that bid then we wouldn't have had the chance to do that.