Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

On 3/5/2023 at 2:31 PM, wellfan said:

Celtic won 5-1, made five subs, and Turnbull is still warming Postecoglou's bench, so I imagine he will be looking to leave that cistern of seething sanctimony soon. 

And again today. The boy needs to leave that portaloo of pious pish as soon as is possible. 

Just now, Coatsy said:

Said at the time it was the worst move for him he would be a star down south. Badly advised i'm afraid

Not sure it was bad advice as much as he really wanted to play for them.

I thought the originally touted move to Norwich would have been much better for him, especially as they were in the EPL at the time and had a manager that would likely have played him in the first team.

He still has time on his side, but he needs to find a team where he is a regular starter.

26 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

Said at the time it was the worst move for him he would be a star down south. Badly advised i'm afraid

Aye ok, David, you'll  get thousands of pounds a week more than you get at Fir park for the next 3 or 4 years, better bonuses and facilities,  etc, this deal will see you financially secure....aye bad advice right enough 

3 hours ago, wellfan said:

And again today. The boy needs to leave that portaloo of pious pish as soon as is possible. 

In one of Ange's recent love ins with his media buddies, without mentioning names he referred to having no time for players who complain about not being selected. Since then Turnbull has sat on the bench watching every minute of every first team match. Turnbull being the player who had been brought on after 70 minutes or so and contributed goals and assists in a run of games leading up to those Ange comments. Admittedly looking on from the outside, but I do wonder if those comments were aimed at Turnbull. Although Forrest is another possibility.

Hopefully he gets paroled soon and heads elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

Aye ok, David, you'll  get thousands of pounds a week more than you get at Fir park for the next 3 or 4 years, better bonuses and facilities,  etc, this deal will see you financially secure....aye bad advice right enough 

And you can add one...soon to be two.. League winner medals, one Scottish Cup winner medal and Two League Cup Winner medals. And still only 23 years old.

Bad advice indeed.

53 minutes ago, dennyc said:

And you can add one...soon to be two.. League winner medals, one Scottish Cup winner medal and Two League Cup Winner medals. And still only 23 years old.

Bad advice indeed.

He's went backwards. He's hardly kicked a ball in an important game for 2 years. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, steelboy said:

He's went backwards. He's hardly kicked a ball in an important game for 2 years. 

Backwards......Experience in European competition, a clutch of winners medals, a decent goal return, learning his trade from better players around him, etc he's a better player now than when he left us, and only 23 years old, for me his career is doing OK so far.

3 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

I'm sure he had other options which i believe would have made him as financially secure if not more so. His career has stalled sitting on the bench its not helping his development he should be one of Scotlands top midfielders by now, and i believe if he was getting regular games in EPL he would be recognised as that, alas he may never fulfill his potential 

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Blinkered nonsense. Based purely on who he signed for.

Wonder how many important games he would have played in for Norwich following their relegation? Wonder how many medals he would have won? Wonder what his Bank Balance would be following a relegation wage cut and no winner bonuses? Wonder if he has improved being around top players and being managed by top coaches?

He made the correct move for him at that time. And still has plenty of time to move South if he wants in the knowledge that he is now financially secure for life. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dennyc said:

Bad advice indeed.

Should be the top Scottish talent in midfield by now, not sitting on the bench, playing in a two team league

1 minute ago, Coatsy said:

Should be the top Scottish talent in midfield by now, not sitting on the bench, playing in a two team league

As opposed to playing in the Championship for a team that has been in freefall for three years. Or would Man City or Arsenal have snapped him up?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

There is no doubt that David's career has probably stalled inthe last wee while, with Ange preferring his Japanese Boys, but one thing is clear, Form is temporary and class is permanent and the boy certainly has class. Made the right move at the right time, especially for us and if he is to move on, it will be for a lot more than they paid for him, as that's their way. 

No doubt he will be frustrated at getting less game time than he thinks he merits. His career was stalled again due to injury, suffered in that first League Cup Final. Might be a surprise to some on here, but that season he featured in every match under Ange right up until that final. I think he was the only player that managed that feat. Hardly the history of somebody that made the wrong transfer choice.

He will be a much better and mature player now than when he left us and in my opinion more able to adapt to everything a move to England entails .....if that happens....than he would have been 3 years ago.

Of course he might have been a roaring success had he headed South instead of opting to remain up here. But we will never know. In a football sense I wonder if Billy Gilmour wishes he had matured a little before moving to Chelsea? His career isn't exactly taking off right now. In fact it appears to be in decline.

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

Preposterous nonsense!

Theres no way you can say Turnbull is a poorer player now than when he left us.

I agree he needs a move soon to ensure he doesnt stagnate, but gone backwards he has not.

On 3/11/2023 at 3:36 PM, Coatsy said:

Was he badly advised? I heard that he was advised to look at all the options and he personally decided to not make the move down south and instead stay in Scotland with Celtic, closer to family etc.

I could see him going to a top Championship maybe Middlesboro or Sunderland a bit closer to home if that's a big concern for him but to say he has regressed and such is total nonsense.

I regret we didn't have the chance to see him more in a Well shirt like alot of our young talent now we are getting to see them less and less sometimes not at all then they are away.