Steelmenonline Traffic

Kmcalpin

I can't be bothered.

An offer to set up an email marketing service free of charge for the forum - and it's met with this level of childish vitriol.

When you don't know what you are talking about - don't talk.

A skill this forum needs to learn.

A skill that obviously bypassed yourself.

I take you'll not be responding to me pulling you up previously then? Would this be because you don't have the first clue what you are on about?

A toys out the pram episode when questioned allows the mask to slip.

I think its safe to say the reason many (including myself) are a tad dismayed on here is how the previous 20 odd posts have gone.

While flawed, CM did try to offer a solution and was smacked down for it. And that smacking snowballed. Granted the method and the justification leaves a lot to be desired, the crux of his point was positive and optimistic in its foundation.

CM, your point would have been better served with an offer to help and not using the shaky results of a google search to give gravitas.

• Like 1

I think its safe to say the reason many (including myself) are a tad dismayed on here is how the previous 20 odd posts have gone.

While flawed, CM did try to offer a solution and was smacked down for it. And that smacking snowballed. Granted the method and the justification leaves a lot to be desired, the crux of his point was positive and optimistic in its foundation.

CM, your point would have been better served with an offer to help and not using the shaky results of a google search to give gravitas.

If he applied the same marketing talent to this site that he applies to marketing himself and his skills, this place would be 404'd in a week.

On what grounds?

1.His sad pathetic attempts at trolling are just boring now zzzzzzzz.

2. constant self obsessed rants about how much cash he makes, and how much of a global tycoon he is again nothing of any relevance.

3.He comes across as a total Arsehole whose only enjoyment in life seems to be internet trolling.

4. see 3

5. see 3

• Like 1

Right CMWellfan,

Not quite sure why you feel that steelmenonline is a product which needs selling, why you insist on mentioning you are out of the country/on holiday for months at a time, why you present yourself as some sort of business guru, whether it be taxi magnate or e-commerce king... on every thread that is posted?

What I do know is you always take the confrontational route, get people's back up and make a bit of a muppet of yourself.

You remind me of Donald Trump, but without the cash, the profile or glamorous wives.

I know absolutely nothing about digital marketing. I'm sure there are ways to market this site (and CMWellfan's suggestions may well be valid in that respect) but I'm also sure that there isn't a need for this site to be marketed.

The people that come on this site do so because they want to.Any other fans I know are aware of the site's existence and either look at it or not - through personal choice.

The admins run the site on a voluntary basis and get my sincere thanks for doing so (I don't know any of them personally). I just don't see why they would want more work to get more site traffic if they're happy with things the way they are.

He's quite clearly a troll.

Yes, but there are other trolls on here too. If anyone is going to be banned it should be in accordance with agreed guidelines. Online bullying and personal abuse would also have to be banned accordingly. I don't like wind ups but I dislike online bullying and personal abuse even more.

• Like 1

Yes, but there are other trolls on here too. If anyone is going to be banned it should be in accordance with agreed guidelines. Online bullying and personal abuse would also have to be banned accordingly. I don't like wind ups but I dislike online bullying and personal abuse even more.

Agree with you re the personal abuse and bullying but when every single thread is completely derailed by one poster it gets pretty frustrating and will turn people off.

Take this topic for example - it could have lead to a decent debate on how people consume news about the club and football in general, and how this has changed over time. Instead it's turned into one poster lecturing others (in a pretty abrasive tone) with his knowledge on how steelmen online can be transformed into an all conquering football forum and others responding as you would likely expect.

People can't be banned willy nilly for putting their views forward but there's a way to go about it that encourages debate and reasoned responses..I don't think we're seeing that here.

• Like 1

Take this topic for example - it could have lead to a decent debate on how people consume news about the club and football in general, and how this has changed over time.

Agreed.

The fundamental problem with any forum is it is being crowded out by social media. When Steelmenonline launched I think a few folk would have had MySpace and Bebo, which in terms of todays social media, are absolute dinosaurs. Facebook can do everything a forum can and then some. Twitter makes forums redundant as you can communicate with a much larger audience, albeit with only 140 characters. Periscope, podcasts, Youtube, Instagram, WhatsApp, SnapChat, etc, etc are all competing for folks attention and ultimately driving the people away from forums.

Not only that, but news has evolved where we live in a click-rate culture and as such more and more sites are popping up and overloading us with news. As such, the club has to be on the ball in releasing news, and to all intent purposes, they are at the top of their game in utilising the tools at their disposal (although the Well Society could really up their game).

Added all together, these things have seen the once vibrant compost corner all but die away. The only USP of the forum is the club we all love and the fact that despite what many may think, there is a community feel on here with many long term active posters.

How do you solve it? If you come up with the answer I'm sure you would be a millionaire.

A more active social media presence would help, driving folk back here with links, etc. A news section would also maybe help. But these things take time and effort and the fundamental question is do we want to see this place go down the click-bait path to pull in more of an audience in the hope they sign up? As for CMWellFans email marketing points, an email subscription with updates (which is actually already available) won't do a thing to increase traffic, and would actually in all likelihood turn folk away.

Think Yabba touched on it earlier, the next evolution of this site would be to take it onto a mobile app that is more user friendly and accessible. Other than that, it would be to take it onto a social media platform like Facebook - but if any of you are part of the Well fans II group on there right now you will see what a utter cesspit of trolling and nonsense it has already become.

Personally? The only thing that I would look to change is the sheer amount of negativity on here that has driven away many posters over the years. But realistically thats an even harder task!

The world is evolving, social media and technology are progressing at an alarming rate that when you break it down, it really is a credit to the team here that this site is still as active as it is, as the forum platform is definitely fighting a losing battle. Bearing in mind our match day attendances are way down on 5-10 years ago which is also another reason the forum has suffered a loss in active members.

• Like 1

Regardless of it being real-life/online, if someone comes into a group of people and acts like an arsehole, and the group of people don't stand for it and turn on said person...that is not, and never will be bullying. It's almost the antithesis of bullying.

Regardless of it being real-life/online, if someone comes into a group of people and acts like an arsehole, and the group of people don't stand for it and turn on said person...that is not, and never will be bullying. It's almost the antithesis of bullying.

Reminds me of my favourite Freedom of Speech explanation:

free_speech.png

• Like 3

(To be honest, I'd already quite like to have something like a Slack channel instead, but that's probably just me and my silly AB preferences...)

Sign me up to the silly club, too then. Much prefer Slack to yet another email I'll probably just delete without opening. And since we're all swinging dicks, that's coming from someone who builds email marketing systems...

And as for one poster derailing threads, isn't there an ignore button? (Viewing on mobile so can't see)

I had no idea there was an ignore button. Please show me. Please.

If you click on your user name at the top of the page (beside the Sign Out link), you will see a Manage Ignore Prefs option.

On the Ignore page, if you start typing the name of the person you want to ignore it will bring up a list of matches, and you can select who you like.

• Like 1