Scottish Cup - Fourth Round Rangers V Motherwell Sat 21 Jan 12:30

Toxteth O'Grady

It's hard to say this without seeming ridiculously harsh after a really good performance from him today, and you can never really criticise a goalie in a one on one, but Samson literally dives away from the ball for the winner and gives Miller the entire near side of the goal to aim for.

Again, the result wasn't Samson's fault at all but it's just another incredibly frustrating thing about today.

It's hard to say this without seeming ridiculously harsh after a really good performance from him today, and you can never really criticise a goalie in a one on one, but Samson literally dives away from the ball for the winner and gives Miller the entire near side of the goal to aim for.

Again, the result wasn't Samson's fault at all but it's just another incredibly frustrating thing about today.

He had nothing to do until the last 5 minutes, picking the ball out the net twice when he was given no chance with either then a great save to stop a third. No blame attached to him today

• Like 1

He put on McMillan for 9 minutes and we lost 2 goals.

What a pish statement to make. McMillan was on 9 minutes so our left side decided to give Rangers winger a week and a half to move the ball inside for a cross and made McManus pass the ball to a player in blue when under no pressure...

Apart from a few notable exceptions, we’ve been bottling it against the Old Firm in cup games since the dawn of time. What makes it worse is, we can’t even blame the intimidating atmosphere, as the stadium looked half empty. This is not the Rangers of old, this is a pale imitation playing in the same stadium. In cup competitions we are historically weak, cowardly and intimidated by the Old Firm. No matter what standard of player they have at the time. Yesterday, we were beaten by an ageing striker, who like it or not, plays every game as if it was his last. If you had to ask me who I would prefer in my team, Skippy or Miller? It would be Miller every time.

our left side decided to give Rangers winger a week and a half to move the ball inside for a cross and made McManus pass the ball to a player in blue when under no pressure...

I agree that that the Rangers player was given the time and space he wanted to fire over the cross but that was down to us defending too deeply and McHugh failing to close him down or hassle him in any way.

It's basically a penalty situation so he has to guess and go one way or the other. It's on Miller's right foot so he goes left. Samson made several very good saves and a really tremendous one. Caught all the high balls as well. He was one of our better players yesterday.

McHugh on the other hand has an obvious and easy pass to Clay up field and he passes it back and puts McManus in trouble. McManus should still do a lot better there but McHugh has to take a share of the blame as well.

What a pish statement to make. McMillan was on 9 minutes so our left side decided to give Rangers winger a week and a half to move the ball inside for a cross and made McManus pass the ball to a player in blue when under no pressure...

The poster asked why McGhee couldn't put a youngster on for the last ten minutes. I'm just stating the facts - he did and then we lost.

I'm not blaming McMillan for the defeat but ideally you want experience coming on in those situations.

My sense of disappointment was severely heightened walking back to my car in the crowd with my Motherwell scarf still on. A reminder that they have some amount of absolute space cadets following them.

I'm actually heartened by McGhee's interview and hopefully it puts to bed the ridiculous notion that he doesn't care. I do get the impression that the players do play for him so their reaction to yesterday will be interesting.

Rumours on the FPC site that MacDonald didn't train last week after taking umbrage at the club for blocking a move back to Australia. Just a rumour though.

If that's the case he can fuck off on a plane back home. I'll drive him to the airport.

'Back injury' according to the manager in the paper.

We need to drop this 'season over, chat.

Staying in the top flight is essential this year and if the players start thinking the season is over the Championship beckons.

The reality is that crowds are affected by it. The Scottish Cup generates an interest in going to games that no other competition can. So for lots of lapsed fans, it is indeed season over.

• Like 2

Apart from a few notable exceptions, weve been bottling it against the Old Firm in cup games since the dawn of time. What makes it worse is, we cant even blame the intimidating atmosphere, as the stadium looked half empty. This is not the Rangers of old, this is a pale imitation playing in the same stadium. In cup competitions we are historically weak, cowardly and intimidated by the Old Firm. No matter what standard of player they have at the time. Yesterday, we were beaten by an ageing striker, who like it or not, plays every game as if it was his last. If you had to ask me who I would prefer in my team, Skippy or Miller? It would be Miller every time.

McGhee with a bit of luck nearly got his tactics spot on yesterday. Though with it being a cup game I'd have liked to see a similar approach as to the playoff match at Ibrox under Baraclough. We gave Rangers too much respect yesterday. Granted we no longer have Marvin (note Dom Thomas is finally turning it on now - at Queens- let's hope he comes back with some confidence he can turn it in at a higher level) on the left, the large pitch might have been ideal for Ainsworth. Then again Lionel didn't even get a run out at 2-1 down when we really should have chucked the kitchen sink at it. McDonald has to do so much better with his chance. As for McManus doing a Stevie Woods late on, what chance have you got when arguably our most experienced player (for some time) sells the jerseys like that. Celebrations for Moults goal worth the entrance fee but so disappointed with the capitulation at the end - however it was kind of expected. We scored too early. That's 3 games v old firm we've lost from winning positions to virtually last minute goals this season. Utter bollocks. We need to come out all guns blazing on Saturday and maintain the effort (after a 2 week break) and concentration for 90 minutes and show the support they hurt as much as we do after yesterday.

It is quite worrying to hear a senior player may be throwing his toys out the pram. That can breed unrest and really, its something we can do without in the next few months.

As for the game, still gutted. More so because we gifted them the winner. I wasnt too impressed by our set up in the first half and leaving 2 of our 3 goal threats on the bench but it nearly worked out.

Moults header was perfect and unstoppable where he put it.

I wasnt in the least bit impressed with Rangers yesterday, hopefully neither was the manager or the players. Would really like to see us take the game to them on Saturday at Fir Park. Yes, we will leave ourselves open but i fancy we could take a good few off them if we go at them.

Hopefully the McDonald issue gets resolved in the next few days, albeit the situation looks to have already hindered our biggest game of the season to date.

McGhee's pre and post match comments has done nobody any favours. And if McDonald was fit and wanting to play, I'd have started him regardless of his toys being out the pram.

Been out since the final whistle! Lethal driving the motor, bodies all over the place!! I've recovered a bit...BUT!!!

Played manager's reaction a few times, and yes, he was speechless, but again imo, it was his fault. A few have wondered how many times we've lost goals and games in the last ten minutes, but did he have a plan for that today? Not that anybody could see. It was Rangers for God's sake, at Ibrox. Did anybody think they wouldn't be coming full steam in the last ten minutes? He should, but never has had a last ten minute strategy, especially against better teams. Stuff we saw leading to the last goal should have been drummed into their heads so much that stupidity should never have happened, and that is all down to the manager, sorry, but that's just a fact. Here was a chance for all of us to be sky high for a week, and a tired player actually thinks he should pass the ball. If ever there was a time for a long ball up the field.

Gutted is not the word, but I know a manager who should be by just looking in the mirror. :ireful::ireful::ireful:

I wasn't a fan of McGhees tactics in the 1st half, we were ultra-defensive, nothing else can describe a formation that sees Louis Moult up front on his own, Joe Chalmers and Stevie Hammell both playing left back and Craig Clay as the 'forward thinker' from a midfield 3 he occupied with Lasley and McHugh.

How much of that was down to the cards he was dealt? I'm not sure. Something has clearly gone on with Skippy, as even half-fit he's still one of our more accomplished players. whilst Ainsworth obviously isn't getting the message that he needs to up his defensive game if he wants more minutes on the pitch. That said, we rode our luck continually in the 1st half, the penalty incident aside (which was as stonewall as you'll see) Rangers found themselves in great positions but without the guile to take advantage...Rangers are completely powderpuff, and the fact they had so much possession and done so little with it says just as much about their inabilities as it does ours. The 'great' Barrie McKay, is a decent player, but he was incredibly wasteful and seems unable to use his left foot.

Rangers on the whole just aren't up to much and it disappointed me that we never went at them from the off, as they are clearly fragile right across their back line as was shown from the goal we scored, which I'd imagine they'll be raging about...as I said though, it may tell us something with regards to what McGhee thinks of his squad. Two senior players watching from the bench were really the only potential changes that could have been made...the fact both started on the bench and only one got on says a lot.

However, for all I've said that I was disappointed with the original set-up, there was clearly a spell where I thought, 'if we get a result here, McGhee has got it absolutely bang on the money'...just like he did in the 2nd half against Accies a few weeks back, when he refused to make a sub earlier than he felt necessary and came away with a deserved draw. The fact that one of his centre backs slipped when trying to keep up with a geriatric (who incidentally, was Rangers best player by a mile) and another one (who I've praised all season) had some sort of breakdown in the final minute, resulting in two cheap goals is most definitely not the fault of Mark McGhee...throw into the mix Scott McDonald filling his drawers in the Rangers box just after they had scored, and you can see why the manager was clearly upset in his after match interview. There have been many occasions this season where McGhee has stuck up for his players when they haven't deserved it, which can be seen as good man-management, but if it doesnt get a reaction and the players continue to fail then how long can he continue to blow smoke up their arse and attempt to dress everything up as rosy...you can only be unlucky so many times. I'm hoping that now, we see a reaction from the players and we come out firing next Saturday.

• Like 10