Scottish Cup - Fourth Round Rangers V Motherwell Sat 21 Jan 12:30

Toxteth O'Grady

Rangers should have been 2 or 3 up and coasting before we scored, but through some luck and poor composure by them we somehow got ahead. We created nothing until McDonald came on, and the whole midfield was poor in general. Have to be concerned at Caddens injuries too.

It's hard to guess how the rest of the season is going to go based on that, but right now it looks like our only chance of not getting involved in relegation is if we can keep skippy, moult and cadden fit, and find someone to play on the left.

Lost count of times we have lost late goal at Ibrox. I am not a usual McGhee hater but today raging as why we sit back when we aren't good enough defensively. Why not be brave and have a go. Yet another non existent cup run so well done McGhee

We didn't have the players.

McDonald wasn't in contention to start. Cadden is preferred to Ainsworth. Bowman is mince.

The only change you could really make today to go more attacking would be Hastie for Chalmers and that's a massive gamble.

Also, Lasley was way off he pace today. He won the ball a couple of times but was then too fucked to do anything about it. Clay seemed to have a 90 minute warm up, showed no urgency at all. Chalmers wasn't the worst on the park, but that isn't what you should be aiming for.

Also, Lasley was way off he pace today. He won the ball a couple of times but was then too fucked to do anything about it. Clay seemed to have a 90 minute warm up, showed no urgency at all. Chalmers wasn't the worst on the park, but that isn't what you should be aiming for.

Said it many times Lasley is done but successive managers have failed to see that we desparately need to strenghthen the midfield so until we do he plays and more often than not the team suffers for it, the same us true for Hammell at left back.

Said it many times Lasley is done but successive managers have failed to see that we desparately need to strenghthen the midfield so until we do he plays and more often than not the team suffers for it, the same us true for Hammell at left back.

In fairness, we have signed Clay McHugh and Lucas this season but injuries have stymied things a bit

In fairness, we have signed Clay McHugh and Lucas this season but injuries have stymied things a bit

Fair point we have been unlucky with McHugh he got a bad injury but i am still to be convinced by Clay seems he has more bad games than good and as for Lucas he seems to be permanently injured. with McHugh back things might get better but only if Clay steps up to partner him.

• Like 1

Anyone seen McGhee's post match interview? Looks a broken man.

Said we didn't play as well as he'd hoped but the game plan went fairly well and the game was there for us. Then basically falls just short of saying the players were utter shitebags who bottled it in the last 10 mins.

Pretty fair summary tbh.

Oh dear...

Said we didn't play as well as he'd hoped but the game plan went fairly well and the game was there for us.

Pretty much.

First half we've basically defended the whole half but that's fine if you do it well enough. Rangers had a lot of ball but did nothing with it. The sum of their possession was a deflected shot and a header that's hit the top of the bar and wasn't really a danger.

Second half, especially after McDonald comes on, we show some threat and score the goal.

Don't think we have defended the first goal great but fair enough and Rangers should have had a penalty in the first half so that's fine. But the winning goal is just a blunder by an individual that fucks up everything. You can't blame the manager for that or even the other players. It's on McManus' head and that's that. I'm sure he'd agree and will be feeling pretty rotten tonight the same as we are.

Rangers have spawned it against us for the third time in a row but we just have to put it behind us and make sure we don't make the same mistakes next week. On today's showing getting a result against Rangers is very possible.

Surprised at line up today and even more surprised at 4-4-1-1 formation, with Clay behind Moult?

Surrendered possession and seemed to stand off for large parts.

However I was surprised at how few chances they created up until halftime and beyond.

Moult worked tirelessly and had little or no support.

However, after taking the lead, we should have seen that game out.

Both goals totally avoidable but not unusual for us!

Gutted to throw that away in the end and carries on a Motherwell FC tradition of bottling it to this lot. Can't even blame the officials today who officiated well and who could have awarded a penalty first half.

Bottles crashed when it mattered!

Pretty much.

First half we've basically defended the whole half but that's fine if you do it well enough. Rangers had a lot of ball but did nothing with it. The sum of their possession was a deflected shot and a header that's hit the top of the bar and wasn't really a danger.

Second half, especially after McDonald comes on, we show some threat and score the goal.

Don't think we have defended the first goal great but fair enough and Rangers should have had a penalty in the first half so that's fine. But the winning goal is just a blunder by an individual that fucks up everything. You can't blame the manager for that or even the other players. It's on McManus' head and that's that. I'm sure he'd agree and will be feeling pretty rotten tonight the same as we are.

Rangers have spawned it against us for the third time in a row but we just have to put it behind us and make sure we don't make the same mistakes next week. On today's showing getting a result against Rangers is very possible.

was trying to reply to ya beezer post and making an arse of it, hence the two posts.....don't think rangers can be lucky 3 times in a row.....we have a couple of decent players and a lot of ordinary players

Same as Rangers then. Miller, Mckay who else stood out for you?

We were one boot of the ball away from getting a 1-1. That's nothing to do with Rangers, that's on us, and in particular on McManus.

Overall Rangers are a better team than us but there is no great gulf and they have been lucky, especially in the last two.

Spot on Allan.

I don't go along along with the line that Rangers are rubbish. They're 18 points better off than us in the league and that tells its own story. Their players are quicker, better, fitter and more motivated than ours are...simples. Looking at our current squad, they do lack character and bottle and thats a huge disadvantage going into such a game as todays. I haven't seen any of the game yet but I'm fairly sure our midfield would have let us down. Players lacking pace, aggression and belief and perhaps being not being 100% fit in some cases. Irrespective of what Mark McGhee said to his players in the lead up to the game, his tactics said it all and the players are no mugs and would have picked up on that. You can't expect them to be up for a fight if the manager shows little belief in them. We were set up to stop Rangers and it just didn't work. In his time with us Mark McGhee's cup record is appalling and today was never going to change that. As we've said ad nauseum on these boards, if you defend deeply you'll always lose goals.

Of more concern to me are Mark McGhee's post match comments...........how on earth is he going to motivate the players for next week in what is a far more important game for me? They are reminiscent of Maurice Malpas's doom laden and depressing post match interviews or Private Fraser's pessimistic outlook on life.

Hopefully Mark McGhee will take Kilmarnock and Dundee's results to heart.....things could be worse. At least we have the comfort of a good pay day.

I'm quite taken aback by that McGhee interview.

We were unlucky but the better team won on the day and that's fairly acceptable when you are carrying a half fit Cadden and McDonald. Carve out a team that doesn't include dross like Chalmers and Clay and we might have the footballing ability and mental capacity to do a bit better.

“Architects of our own downfall ” Pretty much sums it up.

Personally, I thought that he tried to be too smart with the line up.

However, Rangers created nothing and with 10 mins to go, I was thinking, finally you've tactically nailed it!

Should have known better as I've seen it all before supporting Motherwell FC.

No J.P.R. Gordon to blame this time. It lies squarely with some of the players!

I dont agree with the gameplan pish. We were lucky not to be 3 down by the time we scored, The gameplan didnt work, Rangers butchered their possession. We had NOTHING for 50-60 mins until McDonald came on. The we have a pop and score, everyone knows Rangers are good going forward but shocking in defence and fragile if you put it to them, but we allowed them to build confidence by giving them 80% possession and sitting back when we have the defence of a pub team. Yes we can defend well for a time but you can guarantee we will throw away a crazy goal or two and lo behold, we did it again

We got lucky until McManus made a cunt of it and cost us £120k + . Fucking disgusted.

• Like 2

Same as Rangers then. Miller, Mckay who else stood out for you?

We were one boot of the ball away from getting a 1-1. That's nothing to do with Rangers, that's on us, and in particular on McManus.

Overall Rangers are a better team than us but there is no great gulf and they have been lucky, especially in the last two.

Never said rangers are a great team , but you don't get lucky 3 times in a row .....maybe their ordinary players are better than ours.We've chucked it away big time today, which is sorter than just going well beaten