Scottish Cup - Fourth Round Rangers V Motherwell Sat 21 Jan 12:30

Toxteth O'Grady

I dont agree with the gameplan pish. We were lucky not to be 3 down by the time we scored, The gameplan didnt work, Rangers butchered their possession. We had NOTHING for 50-60 mins until McDonald came on. The we have a pop and score, everyone knows Rangers are good going forward but shocking in defence and fragile if you put it to them, but we allowed them to build confidence by giving them 80% possession and sitting back when we have the defence of a pub team. Yes we can defend well for a time but you can guarantee we will throw away a crazy goal or two and lo behold, we did it again

We got lucky until McManus....cost us £120k +

Pretty much my thoughts. It was not a game to play lads who were not fit (Cadden & MacDonald). I'd have gone 4-4-2 with Bowman or Ainsworth up front with Moult and MacLean wide right. Not perfect I admit. Also a case for playing Campbell along with McHugh with Clay/Lasley dropping out. The latter two seemed to be particularly out of their depth. So much for comments that after the break we had a fully fit squad! That really gets my goat. Two players definitely out and two not fit. At the end of the day we're out of the cup anyway (no surprise) with 2 players who may have jeopardised their recovery before a crucial league game.

Not seen the goals yet but I'll be surprised if McManus alone is 100% culpable.

Said for years (even during the top 2 and 3 finishes in the league under McCall with an undoubtedly better squad) that when we decide to put up the barricades then it's always hearts in the mouth stuff. Sitting deep, every cross followed by a muttered swear word and a shaky clearance or stramash.

Conversely, when we are doing the pressing, it's being held at the halfway line, stupid mistakes and loose passes.

You could argue that McGhee's game plan pretty much worked for 85 mins, however that is also down to ineffective the currants were. In a cup tie I want to see my team go out at them from the off (the same way that St Johnstone of late and ICT for the past 10 years have when playing the OF).

Don't get me wrong, if we had held out, I'd be sitting here toasting McGhee's tactical nouse and the stoic professionalism of our players.

Pretty much my thoughts. It was not a game to play lads who were not fit (Cadden & MacDonald). I'd have gone 4-4-2 with Bowman or Ainsworth up front with Moult and MacLean wide right. Not perfect I admit. Also a case for playing Campbell along with McHugh with Clay/Lasley dropping out. The latter two seemed to be particularly out of their depth. So much for comments that after the break we had a fully fit squad! That really gets my goat. Two players definitely out and two not fit. At the end of the day we're out of the cup anyway (no surprise) with 2 players who may have jeopardised their recovery before a crucial league game.

Not seen the goals yet but I'll be surprised if McManus alone is 100% culpable.

Agree with this. Why risk Cadden? What is his injury, and it must be pretty serious if 3/4 weeks isn't enough to heal it. Play Ainsworth in his place! He's no use to us half fit so why hamper his recovery?

Is the young lad McLean still out with a broken toe?

For me I'd be giving Campbell a run in the team ahead of Clay.

I've also heard that McDonald HAD trained all week. Maybe that's true, maybe it's not. What we do know is we're a much poorer team without him in it.

• Like 1

I dont agree with the gameplan pish. We were lucky not to be 3 down by the time we scored, The gameplan didnt work, Rangers butchered their possession. We had NOTHING for 50-60 mins until McDonald came on. The we have a pop and score, everyone knows Rangers are good going forward but shocking in defence and fragile if you put it to them, but we allowed them to build confidence by giving them 80% possession and sitting back when we have the defence of a pub team. Yes we can defend well for a time but you can guarantee we will throw away a crazy goal or two and lo behold, we did it again

We got lucky until McManus made a cunt of it and cost us £120k + . Fucking disgusted.

Similar thoughts mate.

Shame for the fans that travelled; when I seen the team I knew it was going to be a one way street.

Thomson probably sleeping good tonight knowing the result will gloss over his failure to award a stonewall penalty, that would have got the rangers wagon in motion sooner.

Before we scored Clay was needing hooked as was constantly in no mans land and not hustling their players, totally ineffective in that formation.

Loved McDonald's effort when he came on and the our goal. Really did think we could steal it at that point.

However trying to see the game out it was evident Moult was done and we could have done with Bowman on to do the dirty work and keep their backline honest instead of pushing forward as we got deeper. While McGhee can't control the mistakes by Ben (getting beat in air by Miller all game) and McManus with the careless pass...he's let too many players keep their places too long after repeated mistakes while likes of Ainsworth get shat on. His tactics are shite.

Need to see the team next week before I take my seat at Fir Park.

Similar thoughts mate.

Shame for the fans that travelled; when I seen the team I knew it was going to be a one way street.

Thomson probably sleeping good tonight knowing the result will gloss over his failure to award a stonewall penalty, that would have got the rangers wagon in motion sooner.

Before we scored Clay was needing hooked as was constantly in no mans land and not hustling their players, totally ineffective in that formation.

Loved McDonald's effort when he came on and the our goal. Really did think we could steal it at that point.

However trying to see the game out it was evident Moult was done and we could have done with Bowman on to do the dirty work and keep their backline honest instead of pushing forward as we got deeper. While McGhee can't control the mistakes by Ben (getting beat in air by Miller all game) and McManus with the careless pass...he's let too many players keep their places too long after repeated mistakes while likes of Ainsworth get shat on. His tactics are shite.

Need to see the team next week before I take my seat at Fir Park.

Some great points there too.

Why does McGhee never change things when players are clearly knackered and shite? Why does Clay start and play 90 minutes every week?

If he can throw youngsters in from the start at Parkhead why not for 10 minutes at Ibrox?

Absolutely gutted but for 84 minutes game plan was perfect we then lost goal and nearly immediately scored again but you can't do anything about ur most experienced player doing the unthinkable and bang your out the cup .Even had chance at end with Moult to rescue it but wasn't to be but to go to Ibrox and Rangers to have no attempts on target after 80 minutes is no mean feat. We never played well imo but can't blame Magee in this occasion as would have taken a draw at start but he was let down by McManus at the end as still can't believe a man of his experience tried that pass. Will take a while to get over this but 3 points next week would be a good starting point the season is certainly not over we need to stay in top 10 and imo we will .

Will take a while to get over this but 3 points next week would be a good starting point the season is certainly not over we need to stay in top 10 and imo we will .

Our season is far from over and we have plenty to play for but a plea to Mark McGhee - please don't play lads who are not fit and please set us up to compete and actually win the game.

• Like 1

Absolutely gutted but for 84 minutes game plan was perfect we then lost goal and nearly immediately scored again but you can't do anything about ur most experienced player doing the unthinkable and bang your out the cup .Even had chance at end with Moult to rescue it but wasn't to be but to go to Ibrox and Rangers to have no attempts on target after 80 minutes is no mean feat. We never played well imo but can't blame Magee in this occasion as would have taken a draw at start but he was let down by McManus at the end as still can't believe a man of his experience tried that pass. Will take a while to get over this but 3 points next week would be a good starting point the season is certainly not over we need to stay in top 10 and imo we will .

Don't get excited if the stats showed the rangers had zero shots on target; denied a penalty, miller hit fresh air when he had a tap in...we had some luck! Honestly, we are not Milan, McGhee is not Mourinho...we can't defend and should not setup that way.

So many players in the squad (or touchline...Faddy) could have made a difference/contribution at various points today, but McGhee just can't call it.

Some great points there too.

Why does McGhee never change things when players are clearly knackered and shite? Why does Clay start and play 90 minutes every week?

If he can throw youngsters in from the start at Parkhead why not for 10 minutes at Ibrox?

He put on McMillan for 9 minutes and we lost 2 goals.

Said for years (even during the top 2 and 3 finishes in the league under McCall with an undoubtedly better squad) that when we decide to put up the barricades then it's always hearts in the mouth stuff. Sitting deep, every cross followed by a muttered swear word and a shaky clearance or stramash.

Conversely, when we are doing the pressing, it's being held at the halfway line, stupid mistakes and loose passes.

You could argue that McGhee's game plan pretty much worked for 85 mins, however that is also down to ineffective the currants were. In a cup tie I want to see my team go out at them from the off (the same way that St Johnstone of late and ICT for the past 10 years have when playing the OF).

Don't get me wrong, if we had held out, I'd be sitting here toasting McGhee's tactical nouse and the stoic professionalism of our players.

Did we put up the barricades or did we lose our out ball (Cadden) in the 81st minute at 0-1 up? We had no attacking wide players on the park due to Cadden going off and Chalmers being subbed. Personally I would have put on Ainsworth but I totally understand why McGhee didn't. Without out wide players its harder to get the ball high up the pitch but overall we've probably had more chances in the last 10 minutes than the rest of the match put together. So I don't think we did put up the barricades the attacking intent was there but sometimes you just get forced back and can't get the ball into positions you'd want it.

As for going at them, we couldn't do that as they would have murdered us with their pace. Really the only times Rangers looked dangerous was on the counter attack. When we sat behind the ball our goal was more or less untroubled. It was only really after McDonald came on that the game opened up a bit. It helped us offensively but hindered us defensively, no doubt that's why the next substitute was a defensive one.

• Like 1