Scottish Premiership Motherwell V Aberdeen Fri 23 Dec 19:45

Yabba's Turd

All week people talk about our 9 1 under 20s result and McGhee says Mackin deserves a chance yet none of that team given opportunity tonight . I am not saying throw them all in but wound have preferred any of them instead of Thomas as sorry but the boy has not got it at this level .

So, McGhee fucked up by not giving an under 20 player a chance but fucked up by giving an under 20 player a chance instead?

Right you are then...

• Like 2

Just watched the TV highlights and its oversimplistic and unfair to blame Samson for everything that went wrong last night. Yes, he made a blunder at the first goal but Tait was well out of position at Heneghan's error. No cover in the middle either. The second was never a penalty but again our midfield was AWOL. For Aberdeen's third where was our defensive midfield that allowed McGinn all the time and space he wanted to pick his spot?

Our defensive record is poor right now but its not just the keeper whos at fault. He is the last line of defence but is receiving precious little in the way of cover.

Just watched the TV highlights and its oversimplistic and unfair to blame Samson for everything that went wrong last night. Yes, he made a blunder at the first goal but Tait was well out of position at Heneghan's error. No cover in the middle either. The second was never a penalty but again our midfield was AWOL. For Aberdeen's third where was our defensive midfield that allowed McGinn all the time and space he wanted to pick his spot?

Our defensive record is poor right now but its not just the keeper whos at fault. He is the last line of defence but is receiving precious little in the way of cover.

Think you need to go back and watch the highlights again. Samson's pass is awful, and Tait is down the line offering for the ball. If he was in position he'd be a yard away from Heneghan. As for the 2nd, our midfield forces a guy to shoot from 30 yards on his left foot, and Samson gifts it to Rooney.

A bad bad night for Samson, and a competent keeper would be able to pass a ball 20 yards and catch a tame strike from distance.

Defence was terrible at set pieces all night. Taylor had 4 free headers and Consediene had 1. This has been a failing for a couple of seasons and needs to be eradicated.

Also, we were over run in midfield. Every time we lost a ball (very frequently!!!) in an attacking move they broke and had 20-30 yards to run into. Leaving aside the poor quality we have in midfield we should have played another man in midfield. How do we do this? Not sure with the current squad but we have a very unbalanced squad at present. Hopefully we can get McHugh back and sign a proper midfielder that can tackle and pass.

Disappointing night and a number of the players don't look up for the fight. We need a few additions in January.

It was a very frustrating game as I said last night. But as poor as we played we could have came away with a draw quite easily. Individual mistakes cost us dearly. not glossing over the many negatives but that's basically the upside of it.

Ya Bezzer is right in that we are just lacking in many areas and that includes confidence.I don't think we are far away but it needs to click soon.

Think you need to go back and watch the highlights again. Samson's pass is awful, and Tait is down the line offering for the ball. If he was in position he'd be a yard away from Heneghan. As for the 2nd, our midfield forces a guy to shoot from 30 yards on his left foot, and Samson gifts it to Rooney.

A bad bad night for Samson, and a competent keeper would be able to pass a ball 20 yards and catch a tame strike from distance.

Tait is taking the position I would expect him to take. But Heneghan can't be absolved of blame either. The ball then conveniently drops to an unmarked Dons player standing in midfield. Total fuck up of a pass/clearance and marking even if it was a poor pass from Samson to start it all.

Samson for the second though. Fuck me. If Brill doesn't deserve a chance now then he will never get it.

The third...we were pushing and playing 3 at the back. Any loose pass , like Lucas played, is always going to be a risk with the pace they have V us. However a few of our players seemed to think it was a done deal and couldnt be fucked defending it. Best thing about that goal was someone giving McManus in the neck when he wasn't even know the park. Haha.

Same players making the same mistakes 18 games in. No progression and seemingly no desire to eradicate said mistakes as they're still being made. We have an unbalanced squad of players who are not good enough and/or not up for the fight. What could possibly go wrong?

Another thing that makes me believe this is finally the year we fall through the trap door is our inability to pick up "unexpected" points. Thistle won 3-1 away from home last night. They have also won at McDiarmid Park and drew at Tynecastle. Dundee beat Hearts. From being 2-0 down too! Accies have beat Aberdeen, drawn with Hearts and drew at Ibrox! Killie have beat Hearts, Inverness have drew with Hearts and drew with Celtic etc etc

We can only dream of such results and have achieved nothing comparible (out only unexpected point(s) was our draw at McDiarmid) meaning we're only picking up points where we really are, maybe not expected, but certainly on paper realistically hopeful, and even then it's 0-0's at home to Dundee and Killie. Even then folk are saying "last season we would've lost that"

My point is, are we just writing off games, especially away games, against not just the Old Firm which is fair enough, but even Hearts, Aberdeen and St Johnstone, as our peers have proven and continue to prove, there are points to be gained there.

Are we realistically only ever going to take points, or a point, against our peers? Because that won't end well.

Not so long ago we were top of "the pack", a bit of a false equvilance as it was only on goal difference and still only 3 points from 12th, but nonetheless we had 5/6 teams separating us from bottom. 1 win 7 later and the odd point here and there has seen a slow but steady descent to the bottom of "the pack"

We undoubtedly need some new players in January but do we even have the money and do we trust McGhee to identify them?

One last point. The look on McManus's face when he realised it was him being substituted in the 89th minute. I'm not a McGhee fan but it was clearly a final throw of the dice to put a forward on and go for broke. We were unlikely to make it 2-2 but we were trying and 2-1 might aswell be 3-1. Can McManus not understand that? His arrogance is astounding.

Sums him up.

I thought we did alright in the first half. Our midfield of Lucas Lasley and Clay played quite narrow and competed well. I am not Lasley's biggest fan but he was sorely missed in the second half. Bizarre substitution by McGhee to bring on Dom Thomas. It would have been better to have kept the same shape and pushed Cadden inside and played Thomas on the right. He was isolated out on the wing and Clay and Lucas could not cope on their own.

The game probably swung on the two penalties, both were soft and Lasley got hurt at ours. However I maintain that ours should have been retaken. The two players Jack and Considine are at least two yards inside the box when it is taken. I would have no issue with this if the goalie had held the kick or turned it for a corner or even if Moult had smashed the rebound over the bar but he sclaffed his shot and the two players got back to clear. They got a clear advantage from their encroachment.

Our defending at set pieces is dire. Their big centre half had three free headers and could had them out of site by half time.

Moult looked as if he was in the huff after his penalty miss and Ainsworth's confidence must be shot after being passed over for first sub.

The goals we lost were poor. Lucas passed the ball back to Samson from the half way line and then it was a complete cock up. There is no excuse for Samson at the second it was not a powerful shot and we have seen him do this often.

As for the third it was another poor pass from Lucas. Maybe Tait would have let the ball run out if it had been earlier in the game but we were desperate to get forward so he kept it in and Hayes who tore him a new one all night ran through.

A big overhaul is needed in January. When a 37 year old is your main midfielder then you have problems. We need two new players in that area.

• Like 1

Samson was clearly at fault for the first two goals he is incapable of actually holding the ball and his distribution is nothing short of useless.

The Well Society's first act as owners should be to rip up Samson and Hammell's contracts. I genuinely can't believe Hammell started last night and the points Samson consistently costs us could be devastating come the seasons end.

You better watch or Fanboy bezzer will bite you.

We've not been closer to automatic relegation since the administration season, and bezzer is running about with Pom poms and a ra ra skirt stating the fucking obvious.

Tait is taking the position I would expect him to take. But Heneghan can't be absolved of blame either. The ball then conveniently drops to an unmarked Dons player standing in midfield. Total fuck up of a pass/clearance and marking even if it was a poor pass from Samson to start it all.

Samson for the second though. Fuck me. If Brill doesn't deserve a chance now then he will never get it.

The third...we were pushing and playing 3 at the back. Any loose pass , like Lucas played, is always going to be a risk with the pace they have V us. However a few of our players seemed to think it was a done deal and couldnt be fucked defending it. Best thing about that goal was someone giving McManus in the neck when he wasn't even know the park. Haha.

I totally agree about goal 2 and 3, and you're right about Heneghan for the first, but if Samson could pass a ball 20 yards he wouldn't have to have dealt with it. Encouraging to hear McGhee's comments, hope he rings the changes.

Also was McManus mouthing off as he came off? He didn't look happy to be the one sacrificed!

Remember that at the start of the move we were going forward, Lucas wrong footed everyone with a pass back. Tait was up supporting the forward play before having to back track. The calamity was rounded off by Lasley not tracking his man from midfield and allowing him to score. But if Samson had played a simple ball we might have been discussing a different result.

Every time Tait is one on one he starts off in a poor position and then backs off even further allowing the cross to go in unopposed.

It's still a 7 way battle for relegation so we might be saved by other teams being worse but if we are to improve we will need fresh blood in the middle of the park and Moult to string a few decent games together rather than turning up once every six weeks.

• Like 1

You better watch or Fanboy bezzer will bite you.

We've not been closer to automatic relegation since the administration season, and bezzer is running about with Pom poms and a ra ra skirt stating the fucking obvious.

Only my opinion, but I would rather read his posts than yours...

Same here, only because the former isn't a spotty 14 year old sitting in his mum's basement pretending to be a seasoned internet marketing guru that has made it in the taxi world and is now holidaying for 6 months a year...

• Like 1

I've heard several players including McManus who played last night werent fully fit, which begs the question why play them if they arent fit, play those who are even if it means drafting in the under 20s. Thought Cadden looked miles off the pace last night as well, poorest i've seen him this season.

I've heard several players including McManus who played last night werent fully fit, which begs the question why play them if they arent fit, play those who are even if it means drafting in the under 20s. Thought Cadden looked miles off the pace last night as well, poorest i've seen him this season.

Obviously players get a start even they aren't fully fit because even at 80 - 90% they are still a better option than what's in the under 20s. I often don't think folk fully appreciate the step up between the two levels.

• Like 1

That's always been McGhee's style. Pick favourites and isolate guys you want rid of, play half fit players and try to keep subs to the minimum.

He probably thinks he's emulating Fergie at Pittodrie and ignoring that 30 years have passed since then.

He's used all 3 subs in 8 of the last 10 matches. The 2 games he hasn't were the two we won.

I'm not his biggest fan currently either but ye cannae just make stuff up.

• Like 1

Everybody looked match fit to me. Just not as good and didn't win any individual battles.

McManus picked up the injury from a challenge where he was down after it for a good few seconds then hobbling about.

Just reading through posts and don't mind being pulled up for posts but Stu if you pull someone up get your facts right .Thomas in not eligible for under 20s was not playing in the 9 1 game as played all under 20s so don't get your point as will say again I thought at least 1 of that team deserved some minutes last night instead of Thomas who is not an under 20 anymore .