Canterbury

Guest 'Flow

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've worn C&A since 1913, the Hoop has adorned the jersey in the majority of those years so yes, tradition. In modern times there has been a shift so time to get back to the proper hoop before more disrespectful young pups take your attitude B-)

So going by that, the majority ofmankind has been spent running about the woods. Stick to tradition.

We've worn C&A since 1913, the Hoop has adorned the jersey in the majority of those years so yes, tradition. In modern times there has been a shift so time to get back to the proper hoop before more disrespectful young pups take your attitude B-)

From 1928-1969 pretty much uninterupted hoopness. 31 years out of a history of 123 years. Not all that traditional if you ask me. :-)

That said it a classic design which I quite like so be nice to get it back for a season or two at least every few years.

Like I said in modern times there's been a shift but when I was growing up in the 70s it was 31 years out of much less than 123 so in my mind it was traditional, understand now?

Young uns now obviously look at it differently cos it was lost for so long it became just another design rather than something worth preserving. That was wrong, it should have been kept so we're now at a stage where many fans don't consider it traditional, therefore it should be brought back forthwith and retained until such times as it is considered as such once more otherwise we lose it forever.

Well, sort of, yes. As another thread recently touched upon on here, most 'Well fans are such because it's in their family - in their blood. I'm not a 'Well fan because the team was magnificent in the late eighties, or even because of the cup win in 1991. I'm a 'Well fan because of everything the club stands for, and has stood for over generations and because my father, and my fathers father stood on the terraces before I did. So, in that respect, what's gone before us is hugely significant towards what we've become, both as people and as a football club, and I think that should be respected and carried on as much as possible.

Or is that just a load of sentimental pish? B-)

Frazzle

That's exactly it. You need to remember some fans (younger ones) have never seen us run out in a hoop so why should they think of it as tradition? Cause an older generation says they should?

And that is exactly why I say it needs to be restored to our kits. You don't think of it as traditional because those in charge of our club at a certain period didn't deem it worthwhile to protect that tradition. It's not my tradition or those of my generation even, it's our clubs and it was diluted by decision makers in the 70s, 80s & 90s so I would like it brought back before it's forgotten completely. I reckon when you have something distinctive like that it's worth fighting to keep. The fact it's been ignored for so long is all the more reason to keep banging on about it. Might only be a shirt to some but I see it as something special which makes our kits distinctive against a very plain backdrop of other designs.

He doesn't like next seasons Motherwell (football) strip (that he's never clapped eyes on!) because he doesn't like last seasons Scotland (rugby) strip. Different sport, different seasons range, different colours....

Aye, perfect logic right enough! :P

Frazzle

The logic was there if you had chosen to look for it, Frazzle.

Instead, as usual, you base your reply on what you think of the poster rather than what was posted.

I made it clear at the beginning of this thread that I hated Canterbury's stuff, I have never seen a Canterbury top that I liked, whatever the sport. I reserved particular hatred for what they have done to the Scotland rugby top over the years, but I did not say that that was my reason for not liking next years Motherwell top.

You may disagree with what I say but don't misinterpret me just to make a point.

You are getting pettier by the day.

And that is exactly why I say it needs to be restored to our kits. You don't think of it as traditional because those in charge of our club at a certain period didn't deem it worthwhile to protect that tradition. It's not my tradition or those of my generation even, it's our clubs and it was diluted by decision makers in the 70s, 80s & 90s so I would like it brought back before it's forgotten completely. I reckon when you have something distinctive like that it's worth fighting to keep. The fact it's been ignored for so long is all the more reason to keep banging on about it. Might only be a shirt to some but I see it as something special which makes our kits distinctive against a very plain backdrop of other designs.

Exactly. The club is the club is the club and shouldn't have to sacrifice tradition for the whim of mere fashion.

f]

Agree MJ, we need to bring back the "HOOP" !

Our colours are Claret and Amber...which has been a "tradition" since 1913 and since 1928 we have managed to have a "HOOP" :D or "band" :D for the majority of the time since then.

post-759-1238536497_thumb.png

The most anoying thing for me is that our neighbours/biggest rivals Clydebank...sorry Airdrie United/onians have managed to keep their diamond for nearly a hundred years :) and maintained a tradition/trademark that our great club has sadly managed to lose

post-759-1238536616_thumb.png

Guest 'Flow

To be fair, the new England top is an absolute belter! Still wouldn't buy one right enough....

Yea, first "teaser" of the new strip will be available very soon indeed :)

'Flow

So in that case should we go back to playing in blue (1886-1891) instead of claret and amber?