Canterbury

Guest 'Flow

Aw just replace the third kit you would have been pestered about for the new home one. This deal will provide more security for the club who can't be blamed for looking after number 1, afterall, the jump from Bukta to Canterbury is a huge one and upwards!

Im fortunate enough that it is not the case for myself , but its not really that simple for some folk.

Well done to the club on the deal but I'm certainly not getting over excited about it. After all it will bring sweet fa in terms of enhancing our matchday experience.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Del,

I think everyone at MFC/PSL totally appreciate where you are coming from...

Without going into too much details (for obvious reasons) there is quite a lot behind this move - the main one being Canterbury are one of the biggest sportswear companies in the world and to have them on our doorstep is a massive coup for Motherwell FC. This sort of deal doesn't come round too often and in the financial times you are talking about; it would have been no less than dangerous for us NOT to do something with them.

In response to Fraz's point about the charter, we have tried to follow its guidelines by consulting the fans at the earliest possible opportunity. MFC/PSL could've remained silent about the deal, allowed fans to continue to purchase tops then spring it at the end of the season.

Instead, we've announced it as early as was possible and slashed the current stock in the Club Shop.

I really, really think people are going to like what CCC have on offer - The kits will be, I think, fantastic and as I said in the original post, takes us to a different world to what we've had in the last decade or so.

'Flow

Flow, any idea when we'll get to see next seasons kit? I'm like a big wean when it comes to new kits :lol:

I think you'll be quite pleased with how we plan to do it mate.... The guys at PSL and CCC have been right on the ball with this so we hope to have something (small :P ) with you quite soon!

'Flow

Think this is good news. Canterbury are one of if not the best manufacturer of rugby kits in the world, and hopefully the kits they provide for us will be of the same standard.

On another note, are the any other teams in the UK that have there kits manufactured by Canterbury?

Only Portsmouth. We'll be only the 5th team in Europe alongside Deportivo La Coruna, Lille and AZ Alkmaar. Beats being with Bukta who have Ross County, Dundee and Millwall IMHO!!

Making all the websites now Daily Rangers

Every time any club changes kit this whole debate comes about. Most clubs change every year now (even with the same supplier and sponsor). Kids will put pressure on parents to buy the new kit but they will also be pressuring them to get the new Nintendo games when they come out along with a whole host of things. My boys want something new every day but they don't get everything they want as I can't afford it. It's not easy but they have to be told. Having said that, I hope Motherwell can keep the home shirt for the next two years but in this day and age its not always that straightforward. I think Rangers and Celtic change every year now. As do Aberdeen and Hearts I think. Dundee Utd seem to be two years. St.Mirren change every year. Its not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Much better to be hearing some positive news today as I don't think I could talk about the pitch for one second longer!!!!! My work mates have been having a field day with that one. If I hear one more joke about grass!!!!

Flow

I understand that this is a good move for the club financially, and I am certain the kits will be excellent.

However I will not benefit financially or otherwise from the current merchandise being reduced, I have already bought 3 strips which were supposed to be for 2 seasons and cnnot afford to buy another 3 at the same time that I will be renewing 3 season tickets.

I don't doubt the quality of the new gear - I just think it's another bug-bear for the fans that they have to shell out on yet another new strip. Given that this is the third season on the trot that both shirts have been changed, I think there should at least be some discount in price for people who have bought the previous two, or some similar sweetner.

At a time when money's tight for everyone, and when the 'Well fans feel less considered by the club than ever, this is badly timed.

Frazzle

While I wholeheartedly agree that Canteburry is a great deal to have, there is no escaping the fact it will be another new home and away strip for the third season running - and since the Jaxx deal is up next year, it could very well be another new one again for 10-11 season!

I really liked the strips this season, and for the first time ever bought both Home and Away knowing we had them for two seasons - so I feel fleeced in a way!

I would like to see the club secure a deal with Jaxx for at least another season ASAP so the new Canteburry top is for two years - I feel the fans are owed that much.

The thing that is sticking in my mind regards the Butka contract. From my experiences dealing with any contracts, particularly with my field of work, any premature cancellation by either party will result in bill being paid in full. Either that is the case and the club have thrown a good whack of cash toward Butka to pay them off, or the Butka deal was due to expire at the end of this season anyway - which basically means the club wholeheartedly lied to fans by saying that we would have the same strips for two seasons.

Also, I'd be keen to know how much of a say PSL have in this deal - did they push it through, as ultimately they will make more money from any new strip.

Still...I'm excited to see what the new strip will be like, and I'm sure it will be of tremendously high quality (just hope it doesn't make the price go up!

I don't think anyone is saying that wearing an old strip makes anyone anything, but I'm pretty pissed off about this to be honest.

Bukta were probably my favourite kit suppliers in my time as a 'Well fan, so I'll be disappointed to see them go. I'm also disappointed that the fans charter was basically broken again as there was no consultation with the fans. Thirdly I'm disappointed because I swapped my JAXX top with a Nancy fan and then went and bought another one. If I'd known, or even suspected, that there was going to be another change then I wouldn't have bothered paying full whack for six months wearing.

Frazzle

Yeah but you got a lovely red beret out that deal did you not?

Aw just replace the third kit you would have been pestered about for the new home one. This deal will provide more security for the club who can't be blamed for looking after number 1, afterall, the jump from Bukta to Canterbury is a huge one and upwards!

Maybe aye maybe naw. Ok so Canterbury are a bigger global brand but so what, it isn't going to transform global awareness of Motherwell. Who is to say we getting as good a deal with them as we had with Bukta? If there are a big fish compared to Bukta we still very much small fry I doubt we are the cutting edge of their efforts to crack the fitba marketplace! Maybe we are getting a better deal but it not a given. If it a 4 year deal well fine it offers us some security presumably re kit supply and presumably some income.

The quality is presumably going to be better, I never had any Canterbury gear but hear they are decent and heard grumbles about quality of Bukta stuff so I not unhappy with the deal but I really think our kit suppliers is a relatively minor deal whose significances isn't much greater than will the new kits be hackett or not.

Any grievance is the usual from Motherwell where they say one thing and lo and behold the reality turns out to be something else.

The thing that is sticking in my mind regards the Butka contract. From my experiences dealing with any contracts, particularly with my field of work, any premature cancellation by either party will result in bill being paid in full. Either that is the case and the club have thrown a good whack of cash toward Butka to pay them off, or the Butka deal was due to expire at the end of this season anyway
Reading between the lines, it sounds like the contract may have been cancelled due to Bukta failing to live up to their side of the deal. If that is the case, then I imagine there is a clause that lets the club break it with no financail penalty.

I don't doubt the quality of the new gear - I just think it's another bug-bear for the fans that they have to shell out on yet another new strip. Given that this is the third season on the trot that both shirts have been changed, I think there should at least be some discount in price for people who have bought the previous two, or some similar sweetner.

At a time when money's tight for everyone, and when the 'Well fans feel less considered by the club than ever, this is badly timed.

Frazzle

I understand fully the arguments against changin the strip and sypathise to a degree.

Nobody HAS to buy one though. Turnin up at the games is the #1 priority - but you could be wearin yer 9 day auld skidders and nobody would mind as long as you got behind the team.

It's character buildin for yer kids to cut about in the auld strips - my nephew did it for years - and he's no been affected that badly!

Flow

I understand that this is a good move for the club financially, and I am certain the kits will be excellent.

However I will not benefit financially or otherwise from the current merchandise being reduced, I have already bought 3 strips which were supposed to be for 2 seasons and cnnot afford to buy another 3 at the same time that I will be renewing 3 season tickets.

I understand that mate and that is one of the biggest misfortunes from a release of any new strip. However, the club (or PSL) never lied with our claim last summer - the genuine plan was to have the current strip for two years but circumstances dictated that wouldn't be possible.

It would be silly for me to go into those reasons on a public messageboard - I am sure you understand that. However, with Canterbury not only are we getting a much bigger (and hopefully, you'll agree, a much better) company/product - we're getting a much needed level of security and guarantees.

I am very confident that by the time we come to reveal the kit in its entirety, 'Well fans will be very pleased with the outcome.

Oh, and for the record, the price of the tops will not change from the current price.

'Flow