Scottish Premiership Motherwell V Heart Of Midlothian Sat 4 Feb 12:15

Yabba's Turd

Would like to see Lionel and Moult start up front. Highly unlikely I know but if we have Moult winning the ball and playing Lionel through could be effective. It would also remove the issue of Lionel not being defensively minded, allowing him to concentrate on attack.

Feels like a wasted resource to not have Lionel involved at all.

Problem is that Moult isn't really a target man. We have a few options but pluses and minuses with each one. Bowman up front with Moult or playing a 4-4-1-1 formation with Cadden just behind?

I reckon we will see 4-5-1 on Saturday.

Samson

Tait Heneghan McManus Hammell

Cadden Lasley McHugh Lucas Pearson

Moult

I don't particularly like going 1 up top. But, I also don't equally like the looks of Bowman. So, I'd maybe actually be inclined to go with some sort of iteration of that as long as midfield can get forward to support. Could work with Cadden and Pearson.

Assuming Pearson's fit then in McDonald's absence I wouldn't be against giving Ainsworth a shot up front playing off Moult.

Samson

Tait Heneghan McManus Hammell

Cadden Lucas McHugh Pearson

Ainsworth Moult

I agree that it seems a waste to just have him sat on the bench given what he can contribute but at the same time Cadden's clearly nailed on for the wide right position, which is fair enough because he's a smashing player. However if we're missing McDonald as someone to link midfield and attack Ainsworth can at least pick the ball up and run at folk.

Hearts have a very strong midfield and we'll struggle to compete with them, never mind outplay them. I can see the benefit of packing our midfield but as Weeyin says the danger is that Moult become isolated and we then resort to throwing high balls up to him when he's covered by 2 huge defenders. I also wonder how fit Pearo is - would he last 90 or even 80 minutes? Mark McGhee may also set us up to counteract Hearts and that would affect his line up. Still, its good to have options.

Hearts have a very strong midfield and we'll struggle to compete with them, never mind outplay them. I can see the benefit of packing our midfield but as Weeyin says the danger is that Moult become isolated and we then resort to throwing high balls up to him when he's covered by 2 huge defenders. I also wonder how fit Pearo is - would he last 90 or even 80 minutes? Mark McGhee may also set us up to counteract Hearts and that would affect his line up. Still, its good to have options.

I'd be very surprised if he is in contention for a place(even on the bench) this weekend.

Agreeing with the above, I wouldn't be averse to trying Hastie off of Moult as part of a 4-2-3-1.

Every time Hammell has played two games in a week this season, he has failed to complete the second (Tuesday night included), I wonder if us asking him to play three times in a week will have any bearing on the team selection.

We really should be looking to bring Bowman in, as if we've paid a fee for this guy, he should at least be able to come in when one of our strikers are out but I'm not sure it would be my first choice. I'd be tempted to play three from our wide array of centre mids and have Cadden and Frear (albeit an unknown quantity still) supporting Moult from wide areas.

It's funny how one game can totally change your outlook. Hearts looked really good last night and have added some real quality to their squad. Equally Rangers' weakness was exposed and just drives home what could have been had we used our attacking quality to expose Kiernan and co. Prior to last night I seen nothing in Cathro's Hearts but it looks like they have done a total 180 and finally clicked into place. My fear is McGhee will do a 'sit in and stand off' job as we have tried to do and ultimately failed with against the Old Firm numerous times this season.

I'd go with:-

Samson

Tait McManus Heneghen Jules

Ainsworth McHugh Pearo Cadden

Moult EDIT* Bowman

Didn't see the County game but every recent game I have felt we have looked vunerable with Hammell at the back. Any sort of pace and he is getting over run. I would give Jules a chance there seeing as he is left sided. I'm not fully on the Tait bandwagon yet, I think he is good going forward however as with the left side I think we look vunerable especially to crosses. The amount of crosses he actually blocks seems to be a low number. Unfortunately he is the best we have there. If Pearson is fit i think this would give us a massive boost, the energy he provides has been sorely missed. He will also add a physical presence against the likes of Kitchen in the middle of the park. I am excited to see his partnership with McHugh and I think this could work really well together. Absolute no danger McGhee will include Lionel but the above is the team I would implement for what is is worth. The small amount of Frear I have seen, I don't think he is up to speed to offer a solution on the left side of midfield.

Fingers crossed for a positive result, I would took a point all day long.

I'd go with:-

Samson

Tait McManus Heneghen Jules

Ainsworth McHugh Pearo Cadden

Moult EDIT* Bowman

Jules might not be a bad shout at left back actually. Supposedly he's a very big lad and Mark McGhee has commented before that we need to counter Hearts' physicality.

The problem with Moult by himself is he is also keen to drift back if he is isolated, we then end up with him on the ball in our own half and nothing in front and he doesn't have the pace to bring us forward OR we go long and the other team's defence have it as meat and drink. One up can only work if someone in the midfield is between the rest of the midfield and the forward so we are close enough.

• Like 2

The problem with Moult by himself is he is also keen to drift back if he is isolated, we then end up with him on the ball in our own half and nothing in front and he doesn't have the pace to bring us forward OR we go long and the other team's defence have it as meat and drink. One up can only work if someone in the midfield is between the rest of the midfield and the forward so we are close enough.

Or to put it another way - One up can only work if someone is playing for a team that's not Motherwell.

I'm sure we must have had success with it over the years, but I'm struggling to think of a specific example.

Given his absolute melt down at a laptop manager who'd never been one of the lads getting a top job,he might just deserve it.

One of the lads. Love it. That's the problem with Scottish football. It's an old boys club that has been stagnating for decades now, From the SFA down, the so called 'lads' have strangled the game in this country so that we now have one of the poorest leagues in Europe.

That the Kris Boyd's and Crag's of this world, themselves mediocre at best, feel qualified to comment, I find laughable. From Paul Le Guen onwards, managers with modern ideas have been bullied from the moment they enter the Scottish game.

I am no fan of Hearts, Walter Kidd saw to that, but I hope that Cathro is a massive success. The Scottish game needs something to bring it out of the dark ages.

One of the lads. Love it. That's the problem with Scottish football. It's an old boys club that has been stagnating for decades now, From the SFA down, the so called 'lads' have strangled the game in this country so that we now have one of the poorest leagues in Europe.

That the Kris Boyd's and Crag's of this world, themselves mediocre at best, feel qualified to comment, I find laughable. From Paul Le Guen onwards, managers with modern ideas have been bullied from the moment they enter the Scottish game.

I am no fan of Hearts, Walter Kidd saw to that, but I hope that Cathro is a massive success. The Scottish game needs something to bring it out of the dark ages.

Hopes Cathro is a massive success, think Craggs is mediocre. Belter.