S Robinson Motherwell Manager

CoF

Can you give us a bit more of your opinion of Simo? I had thought that he was very highly regarded and popular among the fans in Helsinki but your post doesn't make it sound so simple and straight forward.

He was really popular here in Seinäjoki. Now there are people how support him and people how support club owner. HJK fans surely like him more now. In Finland we have lot leftists kind of thinking so naturally people always support individuals over clubs or higher position people. Personally I don't understand why some people are mad at our club owner since Simo himself said that maybe club owner should fire him. Simo wanted expensive players while club owner told they have new strategy. Club owner want young finnish players get more opportunities and they want SJK become big Nordic team. They say its not working if SJK just put all money having expensive foreign players and many of them fail. In Finland Simo had always second best players and material after HJK Helsinki. I guess Motherwell not biggest teams in Scotland so its nice to see how coaching goes when not having top league players your team. Here in Finland he always had good results against weaker teams but when playing against good teams SJK lost too many games. SJK did play four Europa/Champions League games without getting any victories with Simo. We should won that Iceland team put somehow we end up losing both games. He is good practise kind of guy and also players like him a lot. His weakness are tactics kind of things couse being so young. But I guess he is really clever since he always make great deals himself. He surely have big passion and he wanna get forward. But I personally dont like people how give up when things not going like they want. But its not your problem right now.

• Like 3

Here in Finland he always had good results against weaker teams but when playing against good teams SJK lost too many games.

SJK did play four Europa/Champions League games without getting any victories with Simo. We should won that Iceland team put somehow we end up losing both games.

Sounds like he'd fit in well IMO, give him the job now.

• Like 1

'Flow indicating in a piece in The Sun re: Robinson that realistically it'll be next week before anything's announced

I always thought that the original deadline, if indeed there was one, of having our new man in place by this weekend was unrealistic for a club of our size. A few days longer won't make much difference in the great scheme of things.

I always thought that the original deadline, if indeed there was one, of having our new man in place by this weekend was unrealistic for a club of our size. A few days longer won't make much difference in the great scheme of things.

The only way I'd have thought the original timeline suggested would have been doable would have been if we'd already had someone lined up IMO.

For what it's worth - which is nothing - I wouldn't be averse to Robinson staying on at the club but only in a number two position. Just think some people are better suited to that role (hello Mr Malpas). Of course, that assumes the number one guy would want him, and that he'd want to stay, and that he'd mesh with the new guys thoughts and philosophies. Too many ifs and buts there, I suppose.

Simo is far to much of a gamble in our current position I would be shocked if he even makes shortlist, he isn't what we need at the moment. If it was a choice of him and Robinson I would opt for Robinson even though I have previously been critical.

I have a feeling someone not yet mentioned may be in the running

Apparently the shortlist for interview is Robinson, John Hughes, Jim Duffy, Billy Davies and Owen Coyle. Quite a strong list if true..

I would go for Billy Davies, failing that Jim Duffy. John Hughes would be interesting too.

Out of that lot I would take Robinson way before any of the rest

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Encouraged by Hughes being on there if true, he's been my 1st choice from get-go. For me what swings it for me over Coyle is that Coyle only will see us as stepping-stone/reputation rebuilding short-term opportunity, then he'd be off in couple of years. Both are equally as experienced in Scottish football, Hughes arguably gets teams playing better. Fan ownership also important, Duffy a no-no for this reason, Hughes a real enthusiastic figurehead who could build bridges with fans. Still Yogi for me.

• Like 2

Encouraged by Hughes being on there if true, he's been my 1st choice from get-go. For me what swings it for me over Coyle is that Coyle only will see us as stepping-stone/reputation rebuilding short-term opportunity, then he'd be off in couple of years. Both are equally as experienced in Scottish football, Hughes arguably gets teams playing better. Fan ownership also important, Duffy a no-no for this reason, Hughes a real enthusiastic figurehead who could build bridges with fans. Still Yogi for me.

I'm a big fan of Yogi although I can understand why some are not. Comes across a bit thick sometimes but he's as sharp as a tack IMO
  • Like 4

I can't really see Hughes fitting particularly well to be honest.

If you look at his departure from ICT their fans were largely glad to see the back of him, whether they got his replacement right is a completely different story.

I think the general consensus was that he did well with Butcher's side but the wheels started to fall off when he had to build his own. His toys went out the pram when he wasn't allowed to interview for the Dundee United job, he seemed to be antagonistic towards the ICT board about budget and from a playing point of view his approach seemed to be possession for possession's sake. That's before you get to his quite cringeworthy pandering to Celtic with comments about how "proud" he was to see Ryan Christie "pull on the Hoops". Compared to Hughes, McGhee was positively scathing when it came to commenting about Celtic.

He did however win a cup with ICT. so there's that along with the 3rd place finish and other Top 6s. Obviously absolutely nothing I've said there suggests whether he's be a good or bad manager for Motherwell.

Either way, it's worth pointing out that the "shortlist" that's been mentioned in this thread isn't actually the shortlist. The Motherwell Times reporter just took the few names from the bookies market. The only one who seems guaranteed to be interviewed is Robinson, while given Valakari's travel plans it'd seem a safe bet that we'll be looking to at least interview him.

• Like 1

Coyle can bolt, tbh. Has been a shambles for a while, and wouldn't have given us the time of day if he wasn't devoid of any other option.

No thanks.

as I have said before the mans a shambles, as a Rovers season ticket holder you only have to look at what Mowbray as done with the same players. He got lucky at Burnley got found out at Wigan,Texas and Blackburn. But if you want a manager that takes no responsibility, blames fans and uses endlessly unfounded optimism then OC is the man. He is beyond yesterdays man

Edited by PeteD
  • Like 2

Don't want Coyle after the input from Blackburn fans. Definitely don't want Hughes either.

Think I want Robinson or Valakari. I was a fan of the idea of Barraclough, a young enthusiastic manager with ambition and modern ideas. Valakari fits that I guess.

One problem baraclough may have had is that there was a group of experienced players that could undermine new ideas. With lasley, hammell, McFadden, Pearson and McDonald all leaving in the summer it is a good opportunity for new ideas. Unfortunately we need to make sure we're still in the premier league before this happens.

• Like 2

It's also a good opportunity to become a team of journeymen who don't give two shits about the club. I'm not saying I don't agree that there's an opportunity there, but we could just easily go down the route of several clubs before who have nobody with any real affinity with the club, which can pose its own problems.

As with most things, to me it's about keeping the balance right between experienced "club" players and incoming talent from elsewhere.

Looking at our successful period over the last decade, we've always had an O'Donnell, Craigan, Lasley, Hammell type as a key part of that.

• Like 1

Not sure of John Hughes credentials as manager, but all the good football that was associated with him, seemed to tie in when Russell Latapy was coaching along with him.

I know Latapy left ICT to become a manager in his own right and may have coincided with the downturn in

Hughes stock.

Not sure who i fancy as manager, but, however it is, needs to juggle with a promenance on youth players, experienced players to assist and generate a buzz around Fir Park again, especially with fan ownership.

However it is, has a huge job on his hands!

Fingers crossed for a talented appointment.

• Like 1

It's also a good opportunity to become a team of journeymen who don't give two shits about the club. I'm not saying I don't agree that there's an opportunity there, but we could just easily go down the route of several clubs before who have nobody with any real affinity with the club, which can pose its own problems.

As with most things, to me it's about keeping the balance right between experienced "club" players and incoming talent from elsewhere.

Looking at our successful period over the last decade, we've always had an O'Donnell, Craigan, Lasley, Hammell type as a key part of that.

I've kind of always been of the same opinion as you in that having these guys who knew the club was a "good thing". So much so that I had concerns about how we replace Hammell and Lasley in terms of keeping new players right ("don't say you're looking forward to playing at Ibrox/Parkhead in your first interview").

That being said, some of these players have now been responsible for several managers losing their jobs (on some occasions appearing to down tools). The goodwill they hold at the club means that they could be perceived to have too much influence at the club.

Fact is, most of these guys have to be replaced anyway so it kind of becomes a moot point. Do we have the players to build a new team around is maybe more the question...

• Like 1

Fact is, most of these guys have to be replaced anyway so it kind of becomes a moot point. Do we have the players to build a new team around is maybe more the question...

Completely agree that the "senior" players are needing phased out. This season has been one too far for a couple.

This will sound daft but the players we should be looking to build the team around IMO are the younger players who are breaking through. We need to bring in players who can play alongside the likes of Cadden, Campbell, Hastie, Turnbull et al and will make them better and enhance them as sellable assets. Obviously that sounds quite ridiculous as our MO is essentially to develop and sell these guys on, so with such a transient outlook you'd obviously question how they can be a foundation for anything if they're just going to be sold on for profit. However I'd say that our approach should be less about 'experience' per se and more about building around the talent we have around the squad right now.