S Robinson Motherwell Manager

CoF

My thoughts on the names mentioned:

Stephen Robinson: I would be happy with this, A well respected coach who has seen success with NI as is at the point in his career where management of at team our size seems the next logical step. I would not hold his time at Oldham against him. I listened to an interview with John Sheriden where he admitted that he left the club first time round because he did not believe that he had the resources to keep the club in the Championship. As a first managerial experience it would have been a baptism of fire.

If would be a real shame if he does not get the job because he seems like a decent guy who has done much in a positive sense for the club over the last few seasons.

Yogi Hughes: I really like him has a character and as others have said, I don't think he will be nearly as daft as he comes across. Won a Scottish Cup for ICT and had them playing good football with little resources. I have heard him speak very positively about Motherwell as a club and I think he has the personality to unify the club. Again would be happy with this.

Simo Valakari: Normally this would be the kind of appointment that would excite me. A hungry, up and coming manager, with fresh ideas and success at a slightly lower level. On this occasion however I am not so sure. Maybe it is the memories of the Harri Kampman experience or maybe it is just because I feel that it is just too much of a step into the unknown.

As I have said before our support does not have the patience or stomach for an experiment and a few poor results could see the mood change very quickly. Heart says yes to Simo, head says no.

Owen Coyle/ Billy Davis: Not for me. Would be expensive options and may be guilty of thinking, like McGhee, that the job is beneath them. Not sure that they would have the hunger for the fight.

Alan Stubbs: Seems to be unpopular on here but for me would be a great option. Took on a team in Hibs that were in freefall. Calderwood and Butcher had been able to do nothing to stop the rot, Stubbs rebuilt very succesfully and achieved a Scottish Cup win. People would argue that he could not get Hibs out of the Championship but he had the not so small matter of Rangers and Hearts to contend with.

Young coach with a wealth of experience looking to rebuild his reputation. Would be delighted if it was Stubbs.

Jim Duffy: Part of the Scottish football establishment so for that reason alone, it's a massive NO for me.

• Like 1

Completely agree that the "senior" players are needing phased out. This season has been one too far for a couple.

This will sound daft but the players we should be looking to build the team around IMO are the younger players who are breaking through. We need to bring in players who can play alongside the likes of Cadden, Hastie, Turnbull et al and will make them better and enhance them as sellable assets. Obviously that sounds quite ridiculous as our MO is essentially to develop and sell these guys on, so with such a transient outlook you'd obviously question how they can be a foundation for anything if they're just going to be sold on for profit. However I'd say that our approach should be less about 'experience' per se and more about building around the talent we have around the squad right now.

I`d happily watch the style of football the U20`s play any day of the week!

However, the physical step up for some of these young guys is massive. Definately think this could be the way to go forward. However, it`s a juggle to stay up and develope at the same time.

I`d happily go down a division if we could emulate what Fergie done at St Mirren and laterly at Man Utd.

However, it could easily backfire and you could follow the path of St Mirren present.

Big call for BOD`s but pretty sure they will go for a more moderate option and play safe.

I`d happily watch the style of football the U20`s play any day of the week!

However, the physical step up for some of these young guys is massive. Definately think this could be the way to go forward. However, it`s a juggle to stay up and develope at the same time.

I`d happily go down a division if we could emulate what Fergie done at St Mirren and laterly at Man Utd.

However, it could easily backfire and you could follow the path of St Mirren present.

Big call for BOD`s but pretty sure they will go for a more moderate option and play safe.

For avoidance of doubt I'm not saying that we chuck half a dozen of the 20s into the first team, that would be mental and dropping a division isn't something I'd want to see (obviously).

I was more getting at the idea that we should be looking to build our team round our *best* players rather than building round "experience", if that makes sense?

I suppose what the new manager needs to address is how to make our good players better and turn the ones with potential into the real deal (horrible phrase but it'll do for now).

For avoidance of doubt I'm not saying that we chuck half a dozen of the 20s into the first team, that would be mental and dropping a division isn't something I'd want to see (obviously).

I was more getting at the idea that we should be looking to build our team round our *best* players rather than building round "experience", if that makes sense?

I suppose what the new manager needs to address is how to make our good players better and turn the ones with potential into the real deal (horrible phrase but it'll do for now).

The thing is, you need the experienced players in the team to help blood the youngsters.

I think we are moving in a positive direction in that regard, however, and the new manager will need to continue that progress.

Don't see why not.

Robinson will be very much in the race or any shortlist. Based on a lot more than the result last Saturday.

Not sure about Owen Coyle. Very mixed record.

If we give a decent account of ourselves on Saturday it would strengthen his hand.

Would be prepared to give Yogi Hughes a go. A little eccentric but think he would be a decent shout. Not sure what his situation is at Raith however. Is he contracted there ?

i don't get the chat about robinson,he left for oldham and was quickly sacked within a few months,we bring him back to help out at a time when were really struggling,i can see why we did that as having a fairly experienced guy on the coaching staff between now and the end of the season cant be a bad thing.each to there own but i don't get why he should be in the running for the managers job,i wouldn't be against him staying on and working with someone else as he seems to be well thought of as a coach or number two but giving him the top job just doesn't sit well with me.

Brian McClair the latest ex-Motherwell player to be quoted by skybet. Personally, I can't see any of the names quoted so far ending up at Fir Park. Hughes, Duffy, Simo etc just seem like non-starters to me while I think if it was a Coyle/Davies style appointment we wouldn't be going through interviews next week.

I don't follow English football as closely as I used to but there's bound to be unemployed managers down there with decent experience that have submitted an application.

Brian McClair the latest ex-Motherwell player to be quoted by skybet. Personally, I can't see any of the names quoted so far ending up at Fir Park. Hughes, Duffy, Simo etc just seem like non-starters to me while I think if it was a Coyle/Davies style appointment we wouldn't be going through interviews next week.

I don't follow English football as closely as I used to but there's bound to be unemployed managers down there with decent experience that have submitted an application.

McClair came from a requested bet on Twitter (not me) so that's why that name is there. I noticed it earlier when I did a wee search for "Motherwell".

I agree with what you are saying!

Interesting times for sure. Hope we can find that allusive manager, that fits well with our business model

and satisfies our support. Attractive attacking football would top it off!

Shall we see if we can get some daft names added then via this request a bet?

Pretty sure that would have been how the weird Thierry Henry chat started the last time. I enquired about them pricing Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, on account of him being out of work (after the high profile issues last year), him having done a great job at Burton and him having been briefly mentioned for the job after McCall resigned but as yet they've not added his name.

Pro Tip: In Firefox, just cut and past the URL into a Private Window (Ctrl+Shift+P to open one, or select it from the File menu).

You can open any Herald link that way,

I expect it works in other browsers too such as Incognito Mode in Chrome.

• Like 2

I can't say that any of the names quoted in the media so far excite me. Thats not to say that they are actually in the running for our vacancy of course. The club is rightly keeping things quiet.

As far as Stephen Robinson is concerned I think he is very much an unknown quantity. His only, short, managerial stint was at Oldham in admittedly very difficult circumstances. So as far as that goes the jury is still out on him. The step up from Coach to Assistant Manager is a very big one indeed and the step up from Assistant Manager to Manager is even bigger. So his time with us as Assistant may not offer much of a guide as to how he'd do in the hot seat.

I don't particularly care who the new manager is, as long as it's not a complete numpty. What is obvious to me is that "fan power", which is a phrase I hate, lost McGhee his job. I'm quite delighted by this because the guy was as likeable as pubes on soap and had completely lost the plot. However, what the fans have achieved was the easy bit. Becoming furious or apathetic when we're shite is a natural reaction. What takes a bit more effort is galvanising ourselves when the chips are down. We need to get back to Fir Park for the St Johnstone game in droves and, more importantly, back the team and whoever is in the dugout. If we think things are bad just now, speak to a Dunfermline or a St Mirren fan who were in our position not too long ago. I think there is a subconscious expectation from a lot of our support that we'll be alright because over the last three decades we have always got ourselves out of it but make no mistake, especially under 'Well Society ownership we are staring down a barrel here. Let's step up and play our part.

• Like 8

I don't particularly care who the new manager is, as long as it's not a complete numpty. What is obvious to me is that "fan power", which is a phrase I hate, lost McGhee his job. I'm quite delighted by this because the guy was as likeable as pubes on soap and had completely lost the plot. However, what the fans have achieved was the easy bit. Becoming furious or apathetic when we're shite is a natural reaction. What takes a bit more effort is galvanising ourselves when the chips are down. We need to get back to Fir Park for the St Johnstone game in droves and, more importantly, back the team and whoever is in the dugout. If we think things are bad just now, speak to a Dunfermline or a St Mirren fan who were in our position not too long ago. I think there is a subconscious expectation from a lot of our support that we'll be alright because over the last three decades we have always got ourselves out of it but make no mistake, especially under 'Well Society ownership we are staring down a barrel here. Let's step up and play our part.

Well said that man

''Pubes on soap''

Don't want Coyle after the input from Blackburn fans. Definitely don't want Hughes either.

Think I want Robinson or Valakari. I was a fan of the idea of Barraclough, a young enthusiastic manager with ambition and modern ideas. Valakari fits that I guess.

Hold on, you don't want Coyle because a Blackburn Rovers fan has appeared here bad-mouthing him, yet you want Valakari despite a fan of his most recent Club has appeared on here bad-mouthing him?

I know precious little about Valakari's record in management other than that he has won a couple of trophies in Finnish football, and think that appointing him now would be extremely risky.

I know a bit more about the situation at Blackburn Rovers, where they go through Managers like nobodies business, and have been on a serious downward slope ever since the Chicken-farmers tookover. The situation at Blackburn is mirrored at umpteen Clubs in England nowadays, where Clubs that have previously been of Premiership standard, find themselves relegated before drifting off into obscurity...Bolton and Wigan another two, who Coyle has had the misfortune (other than bulking up his bank balance) of managing.

I'm not saying Coyle will be our saviour, because he hasnt managed up here for some time and his reputation has taken a pounding recently, but I'd have far more faith in his ability to understand what is needed over the next 6months than a guy that happened to play for us almost 2 decades ago, and probably hasnt set foot in the country or taken any sort of passing interest in Scottish Football since he left for Derby.

• Like 2

I'm not for a second saying robinson is the answer to our problems, but he is a very well thought of coach, successful with northern ireland and respected around the club, i think his time at oldham is irrelevant, he went into a club that needed ripped apart and started all over again, signed 23 players in three and a half weeks, did they expect miracles within the 3-4 months he was there ? someone mentioned despite the league position they had conceded the least amount of goals in the league. If he can bring that to us, we certainly have the attacking options to hurt teams at the other end of the pitch.

I'm not for a second saying robinson is the answer to our problems, but he is a very well thought of coach, successful with northern ireland and respected around the club, i think his time at oldham is irrelevant, he went into a club that needed ripped apart and started all over again, signed 23 players in three and a half weeks, did they expect miracles within the 3-4 months he was there ? someone mentioned despite the league position they had conceded the least amount of goals in the league. If he can bring that to us, we certainly have the attacking options to hurt teams at the other end of the pitch.

I wouldn't say that his stay there is irrelevant, just that we have to afford it limited weight in any assessment of his track record. He is a well respected coach and again that counts for something but again thats a world apart from being the man in charge. I'm not saying that he wouldn't make a great or even good manager but we have to be cautious in weighing up candidate's track records. As others have said we must also weigh up the competing candidates, whoever they may be. It is after all a competitive process.