S Robinson Motherwell Manager

CoF

Burley has come up the last couple of times, but seems to be off the radar this time around for some reason. I'd like him here, he'd fit the "craig brown type" profile.

He would probably steady the ship and make us hard to beat. He did a great job with Hearts under awkward circumstances and I suspect with a supportive board he could do well here.

I kind of have a hard time working out how realistically attractive the club is to a manager/coach. I don't mean that disparagingly just genuinely the stumbling block I have is "would that person actually want to manage Motherwell?"

Going by the appointments that have for the most part worked IMO it's been the ones who have had a reasonable amount of experience and who know the league but have been out of work for a while. If you were to build a profile then it'd be the characteristics of McGhee, Brown, McCall etc.

Looking at something like Transfermarkt there are actually quite a few options that probably fit that sort of description; take someone like Steve Clarke neither managerial position he's had (WBA & Reading) worked out particularly well, he's got years of coaching experience but I'm not particularly sure he'll be getting a call from Championship clubs any time soon, he was being quoted for the Celtic job but that obvs didn't happen and I think he was largely viewed as a pretty underwhelming option by Celtic fans.

You'd have thought someone like that would have markedly more coaching experience than say a Robinson which would be attractive to us but then you flip it and think would someone whose coaching career has been Newcastle, Chelsea, West Ham, Liverpool & Villa rule him out of having any interest in a job like Motherwell? Though again, is Motherwell that much of a step down from being emptied by Reading on a run of 1 win in 9? I'm not actually sure it is.

I'm not suggesting that someone like Clarke would/wouldn't be interested but I'd have thought the people we're looking to speak to would have to clearly offer something (clearly) different to Robinson. I'm genuinely interested to see who else is in the running.

The last time we were looking for a manager Freedman was at Forest (01/02/15-13/03/16). That was his last job. (McGhee was appointed 13/10/15).

If you mean you liked the sound of Freedman when we ended up going with Baraclough then yeah, he's had a job since then.

My mistake.

Hard to keep up now that we change managers so regularly!

Still been without a club for a year. Not criticising the guy for being out of work but curious as to why no one else has taken a chance on him.

I suppose its a moot point. If he was in work he wouldnt be interested in joining us. If indeed he is interested at all this time round.

My mistake.

Hard to keep up now that we change managers so regularly!

Still been without a club for a year. Not criticising the guy for being out of work but curious as to why no one else has taken a chance on him.

I suppose its a moot point. If he was in work he wouldnt be interested in joining us. If indeed he is interested at all this time round.

He actually gave quite a revealing interview last year and was pretty candid about his move from Palace to Bolton and how it was a "mistake": https://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=82&story=6643

I wouldn't be surprised is that, along with his no doubt "interesting" experience at the basketcase that is Forest will have played a part.

The Sun are claiming we've been knocked back by Steven fucking Pressley.

For me the key line there is "sounded out" that's a leap away from offering someone a job. We could have "sounded out" a hundred and one managers. In fact if we weren't sounding out potential candidates you'd be wondering what they're at.

Still glad it won't be him mind!

For me the key line there is "sounded out" that's a leap away from offering someone a job. We could have "sounded out" a hundred and one managers. In fact if we weren't sounding out potential candidates you'd be wondering what they're at.

Still glad it won't be him mind!

^^^^ 100% this. Worth mentioning that there are no quotes to back up the story.

At best it suggests that we asked him (along with others I assume) if they'd be interested in interviewing for the job. He's said "no thanks". There's zero there to say he'd have been offered it, only that we may have asked him if he'd be interested. To go further there's actually nothing to say he'd have been shortlisted even if he'd said "aye".

The whole thing is a total non-story really; nothing to corroborate it, the only detail there is that Robinson and Valakari are likely to be on the shortlist which is somethings everyone knows, the only interesting aspect (if true) is that we've been approaching people who hadn't applied.

It's also possible that we never considered Presley, and he just ruled himself out so that people know he's around and we didn't knock him back. Or the sun just made it up.

Exactly.

Considering how many times we have been through this process in the past few years, you'd think people understand by now that what is written in the papers is based mostly on speculation and agents of managers looking to keep their profile active.

Non-attributed stories lacking in quotes mean less than nothing. No need to get concerned - the time for that is after the appointment has been made :biggrin:

Its now 2 weeks since McGhee was binned, this is a critical appointment and at a crucial period of the season with us ball-deep in a relegation battle.

What can possibly be taking so long to get someone in?

When the sacking of McGhee was announced and the club statement suggested a swift replacement, I was confident we had a one or two strong contenders in mind. We've either been knocked back or my initial confidence was misjudged. Alternatively we are carry out our due diligence to the nth degree.

As an aside, our ownership model of almost being run 'by committee' is unlikely to lead to a streamlined recruitment process and in some instances, the lack of a decisive figurehead may detract potential applicants.