S Robinson Motherwell Manager

CoF

Fan wise there seems to be two different thoughts about John Hughes.

The first, fans of clubs who he's been manager of and those fans of clubs that he hasn't managed. The former will hardly have a good thing to say about his "brand" of football and the latter the opposite.

I know a fair few fans of his former clubs and their assessment is universal. Very good coach and motivator, horrendous at building his own teams.

If we start the season playing the same kind of long ball shite that has featured in every single game since he took over it'll be about three games until he's under pressure to be sacked.

So your job for the summer Steve is to sign some decent players including at least one quality striker, learn how to coach a team to play attacking football or hire an assistant who can and actually bring the players back early enough that they are fit for the first competitive game. Good luck!

Totally agree about the long ball stuff.

However, he has talked a good game about wanting to play entertaining football and inject a bit of pace into the side. Time to put his money (or our money) where his mouth is.

This boy doesn't miss on Hughes: https://twitter.com/ScotMailSport/status/864051403660161029

I tried to embed the image but it's not letting me and I can only find the as part of the tweet so I'm guessing the article only appears in the Scottish print edition (it should be readable if you open the image and zoom in).

There are quite a few really erm...good, honest (sorry) pieces about what's happened at Raith this season around. Andy Harrow's article over on The Terrace gives a fair bit of insight. Link is here if you want to check it out: http://terracepodcast.net/raiths-annus-horribilis/it's not MFC related so I won't bother copy & pasting but it's worth a read if you're so inclined.

It definitely seems like there's been a bit of a sea change in terms of the perception of Hughes though.

I'm no Hughes fan boy but Raith's relegation had more to do with them going 15 matches of the season without a win. 11 of them were outside Hughes tenure.

The almost unprecedented rise from the dead of St. Mirren in the second half of the season when they went from the worst team in the division to probably the best was also pretty extraordinary.....and unfortunate for Raith.

Raith had a lot of hard luck, from going into the play offs on goal difference with two other teams, to losing a penalty shoot out having equalized in injury time and then taking the lead in extra time.

Ultimately it comes down to players. Raith probably had a bottom three squad in the Championship last season, Dumbarton continue to achieve miracles, so Raith's time was up.

Hughes record wasn't bad under the circumstances but he perhaps over estimated his ability and underestimated the rut Raith Rovers were in. Should they have beaten Brechin - yes. But it came down to a mad 2nd half, extra time and penalties and as the old cliche goes 'football's a funny old game'.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/15293711.Neil_Cameron__Who_in_Scottish_football_is_going_to_hire_John_Hughes_now_/

Interesting article, I didn't have a major issue with Hughes, always thought his teams played decent football, but this article puts another slant on things........p.s well done Robbo , you achieved what was asked if you.

That's not as scathing as this article, also from the Herald, where the Raith chairman states he was the wrong appointment as his harder approach lost the dressing room. Of course, he doesn't really blame himself for making that appointment but it's pretty damning stuff.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/15289785.Raith_Rovers_chairman_admits_club__got_more_than_they_bargained_for__when_John_Hughes_was_appointed/

Raith had a lot of hard luck, from going into the play offs on goal difference with two other teams, to losing a penalty shoot out having equalized in injury time and then taking the lead in extra time.

Ultimately it comes down to players. Raith probably had a bottom three squad in the Championship last season, Dumbarton continue to achieve miracles, so Raith's time was up.

Hughes record wasn't bad under the circumstances but he perhaps over estimated his ability and underestimated the rut Raith Rovers were in. Should they have beaten Brechin - yes. But it came down to a mad 2nd half, extra time and penalties and as the old cliche goes 'football's a funny old game'.

While I don't disagree with this entirely, Hughes sending Vaughan on loan to Dumbarton, who I may be wrong, but I think scored the goal that confirmed their safety, in exchange for Ryan Stevenson, who's best performance came in goal before he chucked football entirely...for a week doesn't play all that well.

This will be a big summer for McCulloch as well, he will lose all the loan signings Lee Clark brought in as well as lots of others who are out of contract.

Be interesting to see what signings he makes, that will really determine whether or not Killie will be in a relegation scrap next season.

No one is trying to stifle debate ya halfwit.

This is the Motherwell forum and ya'll are talking about Raith Rovers.

Fuck off

The reason Raith Rovers are being talked about is there was annumber of posters expressed a preference for Hughes when we are at the shortlist stage. The recent comments are all pointing out how poorly he did at Raith with the inference that we dodged a bullet.

I'm certainly happier that we went with Robinson over Hughesand have recently been impressed by his willingness to change things during games and hope that his summer signings will allow an improvement in the style of play. That remains to be seen but obviously I want him to succeed as it means the team is doing well.

That's not as scathing as this article, also from the Herald, where the Raith chairman states he was the wrong appointment as his harder approach lost the dressing room. Of course, he doesn't really blame himself for making that appointment but it's pretty damning stuff.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/15289785.Raith_Rovers_chairman_admits_club__got_more_than_they_bargained_for__when_John_Hughes_was_appointed/

He does actually, saying at end of article he will consider his own position

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

No one is trying to stifle debate ya halfwit.

This is the Motherwell forum and ya'll are talking about Raith Rovers.

Fuck off

Yip...you want threads closed down, but not stifle debate.

People are discussing John Hughes and his managerial ability, purely because many people wanted him in our managers position...me? I've not even been involved in it, but I'm happy to read everyones point of view on anything they so wish to discuss...even how tenuous the link to Motherwell.

• Like 1

I do agree with the comment about the title needing changed. Even if the "who next? " part is removed as it doesn't reflect the topic.

The title was amended when Robbo got the gig so that those looking for the Who Next topic could find it, I don't think we attract that much new traffic, but if you really want it changed...

While I don't disagree with this entirely, Hughes sending Vaughan on loan to Dumbarton, who I may be wrong, but I think scored the goal that confirmed their safety, in exchange for Ryan Stevenson, who's best performance came in goal before he chucked football entirely...for a week doesn't play all that well.

I agree it was a terrible decision but it wasn't Hughes. Vaughan was sent there by the Raith board a month before Hughes was appointed as manager.

Cheers. I'm sure there will be plenty of comments on Robinson next season. You might even have to add the Who Next? bit back in - hopefully not!

I didn't want Robinson back in the first place and certainly not as manager. I remain unconvinced by him over his tenure but we stayed up and you have to give the guy a chance to rebuild over the summer.

In terms of style of football I think we have been pretty dire since Robinson took over, albeit I seemed to have missed our best performance under him on Wednesday, so I want to see a big improvement on that score. We also have to seriously improve our home form.

The result in midweek feels like a huge weight off everyone but looking forward, with another city club coming into the league, a big rebuild required, and limited funds I think he is going to have his work cut out for him.

I didn't want Robinson back in the first place and certainly not as manager. I remain unconvinced by him over his tenure but we stayed up and you have to give the guy a chance to rebuild over the summer.

In terms of style of football I think we have been pretty dire since Robinson took over, albeit I seemed to have missed our best performance under him on Wednesday, so I want to see a big improvement on that score. We also have to seriously improve our home form.

The result in midweek feels like a huge weight off everyone but looking forward, with another city club coming into the league, a big rebuild required, and limited funds I think he is going to have his work cut out for him.

He did say it would be tough and his aim was to keep us up then he begins as a manager.

He's did what he said he would do even when most fans thought we were doomed me included.

So let's give him the chance he asked for. He kept us up so he's fulfilled one promise so far so let's not write him off

On s side not he wasn't my choice but il wait n see before i will say he's crap.

• Like 1

I like Robinson, clean slate next year, new squad, looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

I'm actually quite excited.

He said he would stop us leaking goals and he did.

He said if we did we'd stay up and we did.

Now if he can sort a leaking defence in a few weeks. What can he do with a full pre season and a transfer window.

I'm actually really looking forwarded to this season as sure as hell we won't leak as many goals as our free flowing managers did before.

Il take boring 1-0 all season.

• Like 1

Forkin weirdos like eddiemuppster and brasilwank.

Yip...you want threads closed down, but not stifle debate.

People are discussing John Hughes and his managerial ability, purely because many people wanted him in our managers position...me? I've not even been involved in it, but I'm happy to read everyones point of view on anything they so wish to discuss...even how tenuous the link to Motherwell.

He's got fuck all to do with Motherwell ya prick.

Fuck all.

If you want to talk about Hughes, go start a thread called "!Managers Who Have Never Managed Motherwell."