The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

Is it wrong to be a wee bit annoyed at some of his quotes there?

The guy came through the academy at an EPL side. Its tough for British players to make a break through at a young age at that level.

He went a bit mental, dropped down the leagues but has since then screwed the nut at Wrexham and Motherwell to get himself back in the direction he wants to go. Yes, its shit for us fans that Motherwell are not a top side paying huge wages infront of tens of thousands of fans and challenging for trophys, but at the end of the day we have to accept it. I would rather have a team of 11 moults who belong at bigger and better places, than 11 Bowmans or Clays who will never make us etter

• Like 1

I would rather have 11 Moults than the other 2 mentioned also and I think we're all more than aware of Motherwell's place in the grand scheme of things.

That said, a couple of the quotes in that interview (possibly taken out of context if I'm going to be extremely generous with the benefit of the doubt) don't sit well with me though and whilst we surely can't grudge Moult the big move his performances deserve (unless it's to Aberdeen!) there's a way to go about these things.

The entire point of signing Moult was to sell him on.

The only disappointment would be if we don't do that.

He's done a great job for us and himself with his performances (and seems like a good guy), but next season it will be some other team who are waiting for him to return to fitness after a groin op.

Looking forward to see who we have lined up to replace him.

Its no secret that the club's pitch is to give any potential signing a decent platform to play on with great exposure and with the understanding when a fair bid comes in it'll be accepted. Even if Moult accepts a contract offer, I still believe he would be off soon, a contract extension obviously puts us in a much stronger position in regards to getting the fee we want.

Can't argue with the last few posts. We are a stepping stone when it comes to a lot of our signings - it's no big secret, the club has confirmed that it's a big part of the business model for a few years now. It'll be the same reason we've also been signing guys like Carl McHugh and Gael Bigirimana. It would be nice to think they'd stick around and become Motherwell legends but it's just not happening - the reason most of the more highly rated guys sign is because we sell them the stepping stone vision.

In terms of Moult, he's already been here two years. I'd be surprised if, during the original signing talks, it wasn't suggested that he'd be sold around this time given he has a season left on his deal. It could also be argued that the club offering Moult a new contract is outwith the original plan - not that we shouldn't have done so, it would be madness for the club not to have at least asked the question but it was always going to be incredibly unlikely that he'd sign an extension.

I'm still not convinced he'll be away this window. There doesn't seem to be the great interest in him that many expected, with Aberdeen currently seeming like the only realistic option despite the fact that I doubt they'd fork out our valuation. Of course, as the window goes on and clubs down south miss out on their top targets, he might start to attract more interest.

But for now, I'm content that he's still our player as it stands and that he almost certainly won't sign a new deal. If he leaves, fair enough - even if it's to Aberdeen, as long as they pay the going rate then it's job done as far as the club is concerned - but I don't see any issues in anything he's said in the article above, and certainly nothing to suggest he won't be giving 100% when he returns to the team.

In fact, if he now wants to take the next step in his career - which I'm sure he probably does now - then it's in his best interests to bang in the goals from now until whenever he leaves, be it August, January, or next summer.

I would rather have 11 Moults than the other 2 mentioned also and I think we're all more than aware of Motherwell's place in the grand scheme of things.

That said, a couple of the quotes in that interview (possibly taken out of context if I'm going to be extremely generous with the benefit of the doubt) don't sit well with me though and whilst we surely can't grudge Moult the big move his performances deserve (unless it's to Aberdeen!) there's a way to go about these things.

Well if it doesnt sit well with you, you could always look at it another way. You have been telling us all season how shite we are and we were certain to get relegated. Maybe Moult agreed with you and thinks quite rightly, he's above Scottish championship level!

• Like 1

I agree with the latter bit but the first part I'd say it'a more likely to be a 4231 (tomato/tomatoe I suppose) McHugh, Bigirimana, Cambell and Rose are the obvious candidates for the 2 holding spots and as you say, Frear, Tanner, MacLean, Cadden +1 for the 3 behind Bowman or Fisher.

I'd imagine there's a fair chance Hastie will be out on loan given Craigan wasn't against the idea in January.

No surprise if we go down the 4231 route. However, for that formation to be successful you need a right good number 10. We may or may not have made an offer for Scougall or Carey but either of them would have made perfect sense. Surprises me that we seem content with a list of unproven options for such a key position.

Well if it doesnt sit well with you, you could always look at it another way. You have been telling us all season how shite we are and we were certain to get relegated. Maybe Moult agreed with you and thinks quite rightly, he's above Scottish championship level!

I concede there definitely is another way to look at it but I'm not sure you've provided it.

I honestly think Louis will be gone by the end of August as the club will cash in him while in contract, my worry is plan B, if he is sold in the last couple of days of August, we certainly would need to bring someone else as Bowman/Blyth is not the answer.

May I suggest Dean Shiels as at present not with anyone, there is talk of Dunfermline signing him, even a couple of my Rangers mates thought he was half decent!!

I'd be genuinely interested to know what it is about some of the quotes that doesn't sit well with you?

I completely agree that there's a way to go about these kinds of things (see Marvin Johnson for a good indication of how not to) and, for me, Louis seems to be doing it correctly.

I have no problem at all with Moult comments, I just feel he is under valued.

I read Hibs rejected 1milion for McGinn

For me Moult has been the most consistent player outside Celtic 1st team.

An offer of 250k is an insult we paid 175k for Shaun Mcskimming

I'd be genuinely interested to know what it is about some of the quotes that doesn't sit well with you?

I completely agree that there's a way to go about these kinds of things (see Marvin Johnson for a good indication of how not to) and, for me, Louis seems to be doing it correctly.

I just don't think it needs to be specifically articulated that we are a "stepping stone" club. I mean, I know we are, you know we are, I just don't think that's needs to be put out in there in the way it was.

That's all.

THAT is what's upset you? Something the club themselves have been touting for years?

As one of the owners of the club, I'm happy for it to be known given the positive impact it has on the quality of the players we can attract.

• Andy_P locked this topic