International Players Thread

GazzyB

27 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

I don't know what he's like post injury but he was great against us for hearts before that  . 

He certainly was, he kept the scoreline respectable for Hearts at Fir Park a couple of years back when we beat them 2-0 and saved them from a gubbing against Rangers in the Scottish Cup Final a couple of seasons back. If he can stay fit Craig Gordon could play for another couple of years, he’s still a top class shot stopper with ridiculous reflexes, his problem is as has always been, he’s murder with the ball at his feet and trying to play the ball out from the back. 

• 4 months later...
41 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Lennon Miller is playing for u19s right now against Italy. It's on the SFA YouTube channel. Kicked off at 2pm. 

Looking at the Italian ground, I think we should install one of those water slides beside Fir Park - could be a new source of revenue.

53 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Looking at the Italian ground, I think we should install one of those water slides beside Fir Park - could be a new source of revenue.

That could be the start of a slippery slope down the league. 

Miller going off injured. Holding his hammy. 

Get him home. Billy Stark is an utter joke as a coach. Before Miller went off the Italians had made five changes and we had only changed the two strikers in 70 and 82 minutes. 

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Get him home. Billy Stark is an utter joke as a coach.

Disliked him as a player, dislike him as a coach. The Scotland setup has employed some pretty poor people over the years to develop our talent.

14 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Disliked him as a player, dislike him as a coach. The Scotland setup has employed some pretty poor people over the years to develop our talent.

It may just be me, but I often find that most of the talent tends to be players who bypass the U19/21 squads and go straight into the A squad. Whereas most players who feature consistently for the U19/21s never seem to develop further or make it into the A squad.

I'm not sure how good a job Stark and Gemmill are doing or if they even bother to set their players up to develop into Clarke's system. Probably not. These squads seem like little fiefdoms rather than a proper conveyor belt for the A squad. Perhaps I am wrong, and it's just that we're so devoid of swathes of noticeable talent at the youth level these days, or it's going unnoticed or is being mismanaged.

19 minutes ago, wellfan said:

It may just be me, but I often find that most of the talent tends to be players who bypass the U19/21 squads and go straight into the A squad. Whereas most players who feature consistently for the U19/21s never seem to develop further or make it into the A squad.

I don't think any players have actually done that. McTominay was too old for the u21s by the time he declared for Scotland. Hickey refused to play for the 19s and 21s for a while before he got a senior call up. 

It's good level for players to develop at and there definitely would have been scouts watching Miller and Watson today. It's jobs for the boys at the SFA with Gemmill and Stark presumably because it's important to them that the Youth coaches came through their own coaching pathway. Making sure the best young Scottish players get up to date modern coaching doesn't seem to be a priority. 

39 minutes ago, steelboy said:

It's jobs for the boys at the SFA with Gemmill and Stark presumably because it's important to them that the Youth coaches came through their own coaching pathway. Making sure the best young Scottish players get up to date modern coaching doesn't seem to be a priority. 

The backslapping circle-jerk of a lads club we all know too well, unfortunately. 

Get international football in the fucking bin! It’s bad enough we can’t seem to go a few weeks without key players picking up injuries when they’re with us but when it’s playing a meaningless friendly for the National team then it just rubs salt in the wound.

I hope Holland pump Scotland tomorrow night as a GIRUY to the SFA.

14 hours ago, Clackscat said:

I am hearing that Lennon's injury is serious and he may be out for the rest of the season. 

Of course it’ll be a season ended. Our players just can’t pick up wee niggles that keep them out for one or two games. :wallbash:

3 minutes ago, MJC said:

Get international football in the fucking bin! It’s bad enough we can’t seem to go a few weeks without key players picking up injuries when they’re with us but when it’s playing a meaningless friendly for the National team then it just rubs salt in the wound.

It wasn't a friendly and I doubt it was meaningless to Lennon Miller. If the players don't want to play international football, they can simply choose not to go, but I suspect it means more to them than it does to you.

And what possible difference is Scotland  getting pumped going to make?

Being able to point to players who have gained international recognition after they signed for us is a great selling point when we are trying to recruit - especially when we can't compete on wages.

Younger players being regular internationals adds to their value when we sell them.

So whether or not you enjoy watching the national team, it's difficult to argue against the benefits it brings our club.

From an injury perspective, we hurt more players in our own training than we lose to injuries playing with Scotland.

37 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

It wasn't a friendly and I doubt it was meaningless to Lennon Miller. If the players don't want to play international football, they can simply choose not to go, but I suspect it means more to them than it does to you.

And what possible difference is Scotland  getting pumped going to make?

You’re right it wasn’t a friendly, so I stand corrected on that one.

But for me International football is pointless and it is especially pointless not to mention completely disruptive when it forces the real football to stop for an entire week or so during the season. Why can’t they just play these games in May/June in years where there is no World Cup or Euros? 

And Scotland getting pumped by Holland isn’t going to make many difference to anything, but I will still have a chuckle about it. 

16 minutes ago, MJC said:

You’re right it wasn’t a friendly, so I stand corrected on that one.

But for me International football is pointless and it is especially pointless not to mention completely disruptive when it forces the real football to stop for an entire week or so during the season. Why can’t they just play these games in May/June in years where there is no World Cup or Euros? 

And Scotland getting pumped by Holland isn’t going to make many difference to anything, but I will still have a chuckle about it. 

Some of my best (and worst) football memories came from international football, but I get that isn't the case for everyone.

I'm sure you know why they can't play an entire set of qualifiers over a 2 month period at the end of the season every second year.

8 hours ago, MJC said:

I know not everyone on here is a Scotland fan, but cant you even hear yourself?

I try not to bite with some of the stuff you post, but this is reactionary nonsense.

Given the amount of injuries we have suffered with our players in training this kind of thing could easily have happened had international football not even be a thing.

But seeing as it is and Im Scottish, I love to see our players being picked for Scotland (and any of the other countries our players play for). It shows they and we are doing well.

Enjoy your summer watching cricket or whatever other meaningless shit you fill your time with.

• Like 1