International Players Thread

GazzyB

16 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

Glad to see Gunn in the squad as he has much more than "a hint of Scottish ancestry". His old man played for Scotland and he looks like a solid addition to the squad.

Let's be honest here, in this scenario Scotland is basically the drunk fat bird who some guy settles for at the end of a night in Motherwell Point because he knows the younger, fitter lassie he's had his eye on all night isn't interested. I could understand Clarke going to Gunn cap in hand if we were talking about a proper top-level keeper who would make a real difference, but we're really not. 

As far as Kelly goes, he would actually have had more chance of nabbing a few Scotland caps by this stage if he'd turned down the chance of regular first-team football at Motherwell and stayed at QPR to be their second choice and league cup goalkeeper, as we all know Clarke has a hard-on for anyone who's even close to the first team of a club down south.

At one point Nathan Patterson had more international caps than he did first-team appearances for any club in his career!

• Haha 1

I think it's clear how Clarke feels about the likes of Liam Kelly and Zander Clark, there has been a couple of friendlies in recent times that provided an ideal opportunity to test one or the other but he persisted with Gordon. Now he has plucked a guy from the English Championship who has represented England from the U16 level all the way to the U21's who had made it clear before that he wasn't interested in representing Scotland, no doubt he'll be installed as number one which would be a kick in the tadger to the other two.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wellfan said:

I’ve said it before, Clarke is a twat. 

3 hours ago, wellfan said:

I’ve said it before, Clarke is a twat. 

100% this, the man is a fud,Scotland will achieve nothing with him in charge, every squad he names is full of players he has no intention of playing.

1 hour ago, Stuwell2 said:

To be fair, what I’ve seen of Liam this season id think twice about picking him. 

Kelly has been called up around 17 times I think, and has never been close to getting a cap. Ever. Meaningless friendlies? Nope, he can sit on the bench. Even when he was doing really well for us.

Look at the squad Clarke selects. He's a moron.

Clarke has made a right cunt of the goalkeeping situation,Gordon was number one and rightly so but given his age there should have been some forward thinking about who is going to be number one in the long term,to not have giving the likes of Kelly and Clarke any game time is poor management and we're now most likely relying on a player that in the past has said he has no intention of being capped for Scotland.

If there's one thing that made me laugh about the whole thing was Clarke in his press conference saying he had three good keepers now, and that it was on them all to fight for that starting spot. 

He kept a straight face when he said it as well. 

On the basis of this seasons form, does anyone on here really think Liam Kelly should be starting against Cyprus on Saturday?

Im no fan of co-opting players who would rather play for another country, so I wouldnt have called up Gunn.

But there is no way Id be starting Kelly.

Personally Id have been begging David Marshall to come out of retirement until Gordon was fit again, but in the absence of that Zander Clarke deserves the nod before Liam.

I dont think either are particularly high level international keepers, but you can only play the best you've got.

It does raise serious questions though re the future of the Scotland no.1 spot.

On 3/16/2023 at 7:10 PM, David said:

Kelly has been called up around 17 times I think, and has never been close to getting a cap. Ever. Meaningless friendlies? Nope, he can sit on the bench. Even when he was doing really well for us.

Look at the squad Clarke selects. He's a moron.

Which players has he not picked this time around that should be in the squad?

If Kelly was man of the match yesterday it would have made no difference. Gunn certainty to start which is a disgrace.

Yep same as Joe. I would have asked big Marsh to help us out. Gunn should be nowhere near the squad...I would start him v Cyprus and take him off after 2 mins and say cheerio! Lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

Gunn certainty to start which is a disgrace.

No, the disgrace is that we have three keepers with zero caps. Clarke ought to have been playing reserve keepers in friendlies, dead rubbers and qualifiers against the lowest opposition for the past 2-3 years at least.

7 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

No, the disgrace is that we have three keepers with zero caps. Clarke ought to have been playing reserve keepers in friendlies, dead rubbers and qualifiers against the lowest opposition for the past 2-3 years at least.

Spot on , Clarke is feckin hopeless and his bosses at the SFA are just as bad for letting that situation arise, irrespective of whether Gordon was injured or not we would still have the same scenario. But Clarke gets an easy ride from the Media and the SFA, so nothing ever gets done. 

19 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Agree totally, the friendly in Turkey last November was Perfect opportunity to try new goalie but no let's stick with a 40yr old 

If McTominay plays in centre defence also it sums Clarke up 

On 3/19/2023 at 12:05 PM, joewarkfanclub said:

Which players has he not picked this time around that should be in the squad?

Lawrence Shankland, for one. 

He picks up "a little injury" and misses, what? One game? And Clarke says that influenced his decision. Shankland was back playing this weekend!

However, Lyndon Dykes, who was actually in hospital with pneumonia, missed almost two months of football, comes back and plays less than an hour and gets picked? He also keeps picking this Jacob Brown lad. 5 goals in 33 league games this season. Why even bother? He's never going to be of a high enough quality to really make an impact with us. He's not a young kid, he's 25. 

Where's Kevin Nisbet? I bet he'd have got picked if he'd made that move to Millwall. 

18 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Ollie McBurnie has been in great form for Sheff. Utd. this season too so he may have been worth another chance.

Another pretend Scotsman who is only playing for us as he was never going to be good enough to be called up by England, and as it turns out he's not even good enough for us.

48 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Another pretend Scotsman who is only playing for us as he was never going to be good enough to be called up by England, and as it turns out he's not even good enough for us.

Bullshit. He only ever played for Scotland as a youth. I agree that he hasn't been the best in previous appearances but on his current form he could be given another chance.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

Dad Scottish and he has always pledged his allegiance, only problem is he ain't that good but he gained a lot of respect for me as had guts to take a penalty in shoot out v serbia

• Like 1