International Players Thread

GazzyB

8 hours ago, David said:

Lawrence Shankland, for one. 

He picks up "a little injury" and misses, what? One game? And Clarke says that influenced his decision. Shankland was back playing this weekend!

However, Lyndon Dykes, who was actually in hospital with pneumonia, missed almost two months of football, comes back and plays less than an hour and gets picked? He also keeps picking this Jacob Brown lad. 5 goals in 33 league games this season. Why even bother? He's never going to be of a high enough quality to really make an impact with us. He's not a young kid, he's 25. 

Where's Kevin Nisbet? I bet he'd have got picked if he'd made that move to Millwall. 

Like you said, Shankland was injured when the squad was picked as is Nisbet who has only played a couple of games since coming back from a very serious injury before getting injured again. Personally, Id love both to be fit and available for selection as Id rather players like Jacob Brown (no offence) were nowhere near the squad. Nisbet has featured before and looked very sharp on his brief return. I think he will feature again once he has had a run of games.

6 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Another pretend Scotsman who is only playing for us as he was never going to be good enough to be called up by England, and as it turns out he's not even good enough for us.

Not a huge McBurnie fan, but thats not true. He definitely feels Scottish and is proud to play for Scotland. Just in a kinda Rangerzy way........

• Like 1

13 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Not a huge McBurnie fan, but thats not true. He definitely feels Scottish and is proud to play for Scotland. Just in a kinda Rangerzy way........

Feels Scottish.... aye ok, he's on record stating how shit it is being part of the international squads and being away with Scotland, it does not matter if your dad, Grandad etc are Scots, the boy owes everything he has in football to England, youth teams semi pro, and pro contracts etc and if he had as much as a sniff of an England call up he would be nowhere near us, so I'm not having any of that " I feel Scottish " shite.

How many genuine home grown players has Scotland lost over the years because they were not picked in place of Random English players whose Grannies once had shortbread at Gretna Green.

Why are players like Alan Campbell,  Turnbull, Nisbet to name a few getting over looked for guys like, Che Adams, Jacob Brown, lyndon Dykes, and the latest guy from Blackburn Dominic Hyam its feckin nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Like you said, Shankland was injured when the squad was picked as is Nisbet who has only played a couple of games since coming back from a very serious injury before getting injured again. Personally, Id love both to be fit and available for selection as Id rather players like Jacob Brown (no offence) were nowhere near the squad. Nisbet has featured before and looked very sharp on his brief return. I think he will feature again once he has had a run of games.

And Jack Hendry withdraws. A player his Club had declared injured several weeks ago and who has not played since. So when it suits Clarke he selects injured players and those lacking game time,  but when it also suits he uses injuries and lack of game time as reasons for not picking players. No Shankland ...or Taylor....for those reasons but let's include Hendry and Gilmour, and now Celtic's third choice full back. Somebody, somewhere should be asking Clarke what is going on with his squads and not accepting his nonsensical reasoning. 

23 minutes ago, dennyc said:

So when it suits Clarke he selects injured players and those lacking game time,  but when it also suits he uses injuries and lack of game time as reasons for not picking players.

Yup. He uses it as an excuse to pick the guys he doesn't like, for whatever reason. 

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Feels Scottish.... aye ok, he's on record stating how shit it is being part of the international squads and being away with Scotland, it does not matter if your dad, Grandad etc are Scots, the boy owes everything he has in football to England, youth teams semi pro, and pro contracts etc and if he had as much as a sniff of an England call up he would be nowhere near us, so I'm not having any of that " I feel Scottish " shite.

How many genuine home grown players has Scotland lost over the years because they were not picked in place of Random English players whose Grannies once had shortbread at Gretna Green.

Why are players like Alan Campbell,  Turnbull, Nisbet to name a few getting over looked for guys like, Che Adams, Jacob Brown, lyndon Dykes, and the latest guy from Blackburn Dominic Hyam its feckin nonsense.

Dominic Hyam was born in Fife

1 hour ago, dennyc said:

And Jack Hendry withdraws. A player his Club had declared injured several weeks ago and who has not played since. So when it suits Clarke he selects injured players and those lacking game time,  but when it also suits he uses injuries and lack of game time as reasons for not picking players. No Shankland ...or Taylor....for those reasons but let's include Hendry and Gilmour, and now Celtic's third choice full back. Somebody, somewhere should be asking Clarke what is going on with his squads and not accepting his nonsensical reasoning. 

I can't understand Ralston call up when we already have Hickey and Patterson in squad.  On bonus front Haaland out of Norway squad so hopefully Spain and Georgia can do us a favour 

7 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

McBurnie has played for Scotland at every level through the youths and into the full team. I dont like him as a player or as an individual and probably wouldnt pick him myself, but it wouldnt be because I didnt think he was Scottish. His father is Scottish and a huge Rangers fan. The latter being my biggest issue with him.

Im all for picking naturally born Scottish players. Campbell and Turnbull are unfortunate that they play positions that happen to be the strongest area of our squad. 

Nisbet, I would definitely have in the squad. He looked great when he came back from his injury, but then quickly got injured again and hasnt had a run of games, but he is young and will definitely feature again.

Jacob Brown shouldnt be near the squad, but you cant argue that Dykes and Adams havent dug us out a hole when there was precious little other talent available for the most part. 

12 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

McBurnie has played for Scotland at every level through the youths and into the full team. I dont like him as a player or as an individual and probably wouldnt pick him myself, but it wouldnt be because I didnt think he was Scottish. His father is Scottish and a huge Rangers fan. The latter being my biggest issue with him.

Im all for picking naturally born Scottish players. Campbell and Turnbull are unfortunate that they play positions that happen to be the strongest area of our squad. 

Nisbet, I would definitely have in the squad. He looked great when he came back from his injury, but then quickly got injured again and hasnt had a run of games, but he is young and will definitely feature again.

Jacob Brown shouldnt be near the squad, but you cant argue that Dykes and Adams havent dug us out a hole when there was precious little other talent available for the most part. 

All fair points but the issue I have is that we have a lot of homegrown talent all playing 1st team football, capped at U21 and youth levels etc that never seem to be given the chance to step up to the full international team on a regular basis under successive Scotland managers.

Turnbull, Campbell, Gilmour, Nisbet, Patterson, and in years gone by, Coyne, McGeady, McCarthy etc. These are the players that the Scotland team should be built with, not bringing in constant pseudo Scots who are no better than what we already have available. It might change for the better one day but not with coaches like Clarke in charge for me the current structure is not fit for purpose.

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

All fair points but the issue I have is that we have a lot of homegrown talent all playing 1st team football, capped at U21 and youth levels etc that never seem to be given the chance to step up to the full international team on a regular basis under successive Scotland managers.

Turnbull, Campbell, Gilmour, Nisbet, Patterson, and in years gone by, Coyne, McGeady, McCarthy etc. These are the players that the Scotland team should be built with, not bringing in constant pseudo Scots who are no better than what we already have available. It might change for the better one day but not with coaches like Clarke in charge for me the current structure is not fit for purpose.

I agree with you to an extent.

I wouldnt have gone back to Angus Gunn.

He played for England thru the youth levels and turned McLeish down in the past. He shouldnt be getting capped for Scotland full stop.

Zander Clarke should get the jersey on current form.

That said, I am a complete hypocrite. If he plays and produces a Worldy or saves a pen at the weekend I will of course celebrate it like a goal. Similarly if Adams or Dykes score a winner......

what a slap in the coupon for kelly and clark

no1 keeper breaks his leg

no2/3 keepers see there big chance

no 2/3 keepers turning  up for every squad picked

manager decides both are not up to it ( shite )

manager brings in a played  at every level goalkeeper  ( bar senior ) for engurland

manager shites on no 2/3 keepers

dress it up however you like,  both are not up to it

let the argument / discussions begin

ps clarke will come out in the papers morra saying heez got 3 good reliable keepers pish talk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Gunn starts then, Kelly and Clark should tell Clarke to shove squad up his proverbial.  Though of course if we are beating Spain and he saves last min pen then he will be a hero

Clark and Kelly should have walked ten minutes before kick off leaving that muppet Clarke with only one goalie.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, well_said said:

Clark and Kelly should have walked ten minutes before kick off leaving that muppet Clarke with only one goalie.

I think Kelly is doing well to keep his place for us, I don’t think he has had a bad season but let’s be honest it hasn’t been his best season and wasn’t surprised he wasn’t picked today, today’s game would have been OK if picked but against Spain I am not sure if he would be good enough, maybe a blessing in my opinion!

1 hour ago, smiddy said:

what a slap in the coupon for kelly and clark

no1 keeper breaks his leg

no2/3 keepers see there big chance

no 2/3 keepers turning  up for every squad picked

manager decides both are not up to it ( shite )

manager brings in a played  at every level goalkeeper  ( bar senior ) for engurland

manager shites on no 2/3 keepers

dress it up however you like,  both are not up to it

let the argument / discussions begin

ps clarke will come out in the papers morra saying heez got 3 good reliable keepers pish talk

Clarke bangs on about loyalty and is actually overloyal to players as we saw today (Armstrong....Adams....Christie (apart from. 2nd goal assist).   He forgets how loyal his keepers have been.

Now I don't think Liam is the answer at international level but I have a big problem with a guy only playing for us as not good enough to play for England. If he had declared interest a year ago then fair do's but to say available after Gordon gets serious injury is a joke and fact Clarke entertained it is even worse. 

19 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Clarke bangs on about loyalty and is actually overloyal to players as we saw today (Armstrong....Adams....Christie (apart from. 2nd goal assist).   He forgets how loyal his keepers have been.

Now I don't think Liam is the answer at international level but I have a big problem with a guy only playing for us as not good enough to play for England. If he had declared interest a year ago then fair do's but to say available after Gordon gets serious injury is a joke and fact Clarke entertained it is even worse. 

As Clarke has just signed a new contract till 2026 its only going to get worse, and a lot of homegrown talent won't get a sniff at international level with him the whole SFA set up stinks, Scotland won't be qualifying for the Euro's or the next World Cup with him in charge.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

As Clarke has just signed a new contract till 2026 its only going to get worse, and a lot of homegrown talent won't get a sniff at international level with him the whole SFA set up stinks, Scotland won't be qualifying for the Euro's or the next World Cup with him in charge.

Lewis Ferguson playing in Serie A and being linked with juventus but no chance getting game ahead of Armstrong and Christie.  Strachans downfall was being too loyal and I fear same will happen with Clarke, plus he gets a free ride from the media

6 hours ago, Thunderlips said:

Clarke literally got us to our first major finals since 1998. I get that he seems unpopular on here but on paper he has more than earned his stay as Scotland manager. I'd love to see Kelly get his first cap but I also feel Clarke has earned the benefit of the doubt with his selections. 

I disagree with a few things Clarke has done but I do still feel he is best person for the job. I just think in time he needs to be careful and  not stay too loyal to some players who of course have done well for us but not at same level at moment, Armstrong and Christie are the 2 that spring to mind but that's just my own opinion 

6 hours ago, Thunderlips said:

Clarke literally got us to our first major finals since 1998. I get that he seems unpopular on here but on paper he has more than earned his stay as Scotland manager. I'd love to see Kelly get his first cap but I also feel Clarke has earned the benefit of the doubt with his selections. 

Brilliant post.   We're very quick to criticise.  

Clarke has proven himself at International level, we should be delighted to have him. 

• Like 2