2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

4 hours ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

Really?

A wee reminder 

I mean, I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do this time around as much as anyone, but in that clip he basically stands still, then hits a pass that everyone missed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Let's at least give him a chance, no idea how he will do but I will give him time. Folk had Spittal written off and he has got 1 goal and 3 assists already.. COYW 

Good point grizzly , spittals stats suggested this would be the case I felt and I'm glad it is. I also felt some on here were talking him down for no apparent reason other than ignorance of his stats and ability.

Aarons is a big risk due to his lack of gametime certainly but my hope is he can produce what he done in 2nd half of st mirren 4-4 Cup replay when he was outstanding and created umpteen chances and scored.  That's my recollection of him as well as untied boots which does my head in for some reason.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

I’m not sure I share that statistic of 3 assists for Spittal? Has the criteria changed?

He’s made 2 forward passes of note, Saturday’s assist was sublime in fairness (just before his fanboys hit the outrage button)

Just took grizzlyg word for it but off top of my head. His shot off bar rebounded to van veen at aberdeen. His shot won penalty at St mirren. And his pass v killie. 

Thats 3 in my book and I wouldn't consider myself a fan boy unfortunately .

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Just took grizzlyg word for it but off top of my head. His shot off bar rebounded to van veen at aberdeen. His shot won penalty at St mirren. And his pass v killie. 

Fair enough, I thought it was Shields who hit the bar, now checked differently.

A shot for a penalty isn’t in mine, hence, I asked if criteria had changed.

1 hour ago, gaz7 said:

Yep that was the 3 I was counting.  Some folk might not consider some assists, what I was trying to highlight was he has been involved in a lot of our goals

1 hour ago, Onthefringes said:

Fair enough, I thought it was Shields who hit the bar, now checked differently.

A shot for a penalty isn’t in mine, hence, I asked if criteria had changed.

If he doesn't shoot it doesn't hit guys arm.  Yep maybe clutching at straws but just highlighting he isn't as bad as a lot of folk were judging after only 2 appearances

Aarons isn’t a bad signing. It actually makes a lot of sense considering that Hammell still seems to want to play 3 up top and both Efford and Morris are absolutely pish - so we needed another option. 

What is doesn’t change however is that we have less than 48 hours to get the spine of the team sorted.  

We are still a CB, CM and CF short

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kmac said:

Aarons isn’t a bad signing. It actually makes a lot of sense considering that Hammell still seems to want to play 3 up top and both Efford and Morris are absolutely pish - so we needed another option.

I might be wrong but I thought Morris was a midfielder being played out of position up front. That said, he hasn't impressed me so far.

2 hours ago, Kmac said:

What is doesn’t change however is that we have less than 48 hours to get the spine of the team sorted.  

We are still a CB, CM and CF short

I agree with this and these positions.  3 quality additions that will more than likely start games. The CF as back up / competition for Kev. 

We badly need a solid and dependable CB that can defend cross balls. Ojala looks out of the picture. Which leaves us Sol, Lamie and Mugabi. If one of them get injured we literally have no cover other than playing players out of position or promoting youngsters. Leaving aside that Alexander himself acknowledged the defence / goals against column was not good enough last season. And yet here we are and literally nothing has changed. 

The 2nd goal on Saturday highlights that these weaknesses are still very apparent and it cost us a point at least. On their day all 3 CB are decent. But they are not always at it and certainly not for a full 90 minutes. We should never lose a goal like that on Saturday. How none of our defenders could judge a ball that came in from (almost) the half line beggars belief ! 

Aarons first appearance for us was very positive and full of promise. He only got a handful of appearances after that and was sent packing due to the covid issue so i don't think we should be rushing to judge him just yet.

When everything was shut down but before the season was officially called, i did see him out training himself at the palace grounds on quite a few occasions. Speed work, bands, bag of balls. The guy was obviously trying to keep himself in shape/sharp which is encouraging.

Given that GA shipped out all of our width and pace, then Aarons certainly brings us something we don't have. Hopefully going to be a good addition to the team.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Yodo said:

What this signing tells u is the head of recruitment is still the same as before and he’s not an actual SH signing 

The head of recruitment that didn’t join the club until 2021?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I agree with this and these positions.  3 quality additions that will more than likely start games. The CF as back up / competition for Kev. 

We badly need a solid and dependable CB that can defend cross balls. Ojala looks out of the picture. Which leaves us Sol, Lamie and Mugabi. If one of them get injured we literally have no cover other than playing players out of position or promoting youngsters. Leaving aside that Alexander himself acknowledged the defence / goals against column was not good enough last season. And yet here we are and literally nothing has changed. 

The 2nd goal on Saturday highlights that these weaknesses are still very apparent and it cost us a point at least. On their day all 3 CB are decent. But they are not always at it and certainly not for a full 90 minutes. We should never lose a goal like that on Saturday. How none of our defenders could judge a ball that came in from (almost) the half line beggars belief ! 

The 2nd goal didnt show a weakness in the defence...taylor ran off a midfielder(goss)he wasn't within 4/5yards of him when he scored,if he beats u in the air then fair do's but ffs u need t b there t make it difficult, i cant lay blame at kelly but a dykstra or a ruddy wouldve come for that ball,as u mention its come a long way.we can pick holes in it all day long,ive been a well fan long enough t remember if we didnt keep a clean sheet we were rarely going t pick up points as we created nothing,we r creating chances,good chances  someone will take a thumping when it all clicks..against utd on saturday would b a good time t start

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, spudmfc said:

The 2nd goal didnt show a weakness in the defence...

It 100% did.  I agree Kelly could have come and claimed it and I notice that he is not very adept at coming out for crosses. But anytime when a player can score with a header a few yards from the goal then the defence has been found wanting.  

Sol had plenty of time to judge the ball but not for the 1st time it went sailing over his head. He should be dealing with that more than I would blame Goss. That is his job. I like Sol and when balls come straight at him he is excellent. But when he gets his positioning wrong and is backtracking he is pretty useless sadly. 

49 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

It 100% did.  I agree Kelly could have come and claimed it and I notice that he is not very adept at coming out for crosses. But anytime when a player can score with a header a few yards from the goal then the defence has been found wanting.  

Sol had plenty of time to judge the ball but not for the 1st time it went sailing over his head. He should be dealing with that more than I would blame Goss. That is his job. I like Sol and when balls come straight at him he is excellent. But when he gets his positioning wrong and is backtracking he is pretty useless sadly. 

I wonder what the impact it has on the performance of defenders when they have a keeper (who most fans think can do no wrong) continually fails to even attempt to come and claim balls into the box?

49 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Given that Lafferty had gone off, I would have hoped that whoever had been instructed to cover him at set pieces would have picked up Taylor rather than leaving it to Goss. But having taken Taylor, Goss allowed him a free run at the ball setting up a fairly straightforward finish.  Although physically at a disadvantage, Goss could at least have tried to block the run. 

But yes the ball was in the air for ages and Sol should have had time to position himself better. Given the run Taylor was allowed, he may well have overpowered Sol in any case. I think Taylor scored a back post equaliser late on in a previous match so the entire defence should have been aware of that possibility.

In short I think there were several players at fault for the goal.

• Like 1

• David locked this topic