2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

5 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

You wonder if he suddenly turns round and wants to join us. Would Hammell want him. Strange Q maybe but with all the chat of only wanting players who want to be here etc. All that said he may have been waiting until deadline to see what offers were available before making a decision. Which on the face of it nothing really wrong with that. 

Strange that no one signed yesterday. We must have had principal and back up targets for the forward we stated we were looking to bring in. Perhaps something will happen today if we got something over the line at midnight. Who knows. All rather underwhelming…..

Of course Hammell would want him. Lots of variables, him wanting to join isn’t/wasn’t one.

Not sure I agree with strange on yesterday - he’s added to attacking options and strengthened the left back position, by his own admission, part of the pitch at interview. Squad numbers don’t match up to many more additions especially if player pathway is genuine and not lip service.

Rights and wrongs of that are a different debate, think you’ve answered part for yourself. Let’s see what today brings…

6 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Rights and wrongs of that are a different debate, think you’ve answered part for yourself. Let’s see what today brings…

Great. Look forward to our signing/s being unveiled :-)

The fact Flow has not surfaced to explain we missed out on targets gives me hope that something will materialise.

6 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Great. Look forward to our signing/s being unveiled :-)

The fact Flow has not surfaced to explain we missed out on targets gives me hope that something will materialise.

I’d doubt he will for reasons mentioned previously. Some just being overly optimistic on numbers being added methinks.

I think it is fair enough to look on this as a fairly disappointing transfer window. The main plus is that we have been able to get rid of a fair amount of dead wood from the squad and hopefully saved a proportion of our operating budget. Unfortunately we have not been able to address the various failings in our squad in terms of personnel and the injection of quality I am sure most of us were craving hasn't really happened. Having said that, looking at the players moving to and from our immediate rivals, I don't see too many that I feel I am disappointed that we missed out on. The truth may well be that the players we were looking for were just not available, especially when you have to work with  limited financial resources. 

Another factor to consider is that Alexander, for whatever reason, thought that he had done enough . This error was one of the many reasons why he had to go. The disruption caused by changing manager so late in the pre season left Hammell with a difficult position. I think he has made mistakes including being too open and honest with a media who are only interested in creating friction and negativity to justify their existence. I do see the fact that he did not panic and recruit just for the sake of filling squad places. Hopefully we can fill gaps with the young guys coming through from the academy, if required. My one worry is that we seem light in terms of genuine goal scorers. We may need to get lucky with regard to KVV staying fit and free from suspension or someone unexpected stepping up and pitching in with a few goals.

I'm not too disappointed we have got some potential out for first team games, we have a new left back and 2 wingers. We have a path for the best youngsters to come thru and some of the dead wood is off the books. What's not to like.

Fails like mcginlay and carroll are out long term so i'll need to find another dud to vent my frustration at.

• Like 1

Could have been better, could have been worse, we look to have a decent left back at last and have added another two useful additions on top. The main worry for me at the moment is up front, Van Veen will miss game time and we have nobody to replace him ( I will believe the Moult rumours when we see him in the stadium but not the right option anyway if true). So maybe free agents it is.

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

He hasn't named any other players we have been looking at. It looks like Snodgrass messed him about, hopefully he learns from it. 

I know its difficult for you but try and engage your brain before posting ,so assuming a bid was made, how has snodgrass messed Hammell  about? He goes to the board and asks for cash to fund a bid, they say no problem Stevie go for it, he speaks to Snodgrass how about it then Snoddy want to join us at Fir park and subsequently gets a knock back so cash saved. Do you think we were the only option Snodgrass had, given the level he has played at so no messing about its just normal transfer dealings.

Im not sure where the disappointment in the business we have done is coming from?

We all know we needed a left back, some width and pace and some back up for KVV.

The only thing we havent covered is the back up for KVV and we have a hastily re-arranged press conference coming at 1pm. 

If we announce a striker, then surely Hammell has done everything required of him with the limited time and funds at his disposal?

I know some have said we need a reliable centre half, but looking at the squad numbers I dont think that was ever in the equation.

With the emphasis on youth coming through, Im pretty comfortable with what we have now.

Just announce that striker.......

14 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Im not sure where the disappointment in the business we have done is coming from?

Morris is utter shite, McGinn is a good signing but means we are paying SOD a healthy wage to sit on the bench and Arrons is a known quantity who's crossing is still horrendous. Going back further extending McGinley is still mystifying.

Now we are apparently going to make a song and dance about bringing in a striker with the worst injury record in the UK. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Morris is utter shite, McGinn is a good signing but means we are paying SOD a healthy wage to sit on the bench and Arrons is a known quantity who's crossing is still horrendous. Going back further extending McGinley is still mystifying.

Now we are apparently going to make a song and dance about bringing in a striker with the worst injury record in the UK. 

WTF are you talking about?

Pretty much everyone here is referring to the business Stevie Hammell has done.

If you want to stay mired in the GA era, fill your boots......

5 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I’d have extended Grimshaw’s stay too for you to vent your spleen. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Aarons has hardly kicked a ball in a year and your criticising his crossing ability from a 20 minute debut...seriously....!!

SOD is getting what we pay him so what...he will be needed over the course of the season. Should we pay SOD off and get rid then bring in someone who is not so good just so you feel better about what we are paying them?.

As for the striker? who knows who it is if it is indeed Moult. I am sure the club will ensure he will have passed a medical before he signs for us. There is a process and hardly a song and dance.

You really make mountains out of mole hills.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Despite the brickbats you are correct.

The Moult talk seems to be rumours at the moment, or even wishful thinking.

It’s similar to when McFadden first returned in 2013. Saying that knowing us we’re waiting to 1pm to announce that Faddy has sensationally agreed to come out of retirement and sign a deal with us until the end of the season with BBC Sportscene paying half of his wages.

1 hour ago, Well Well said:

SOD is getting what we pay him so what...he will be needed over the course of the season. Should we pay SOD off and get rid then bring in someone who is not so good just so you feel better about what we are paying them?.

Agreed. Having SOD really helps  solve a few potential issues.   

McGinn can easily slot in at centre half of holding mid. 
SOD can play either LB/RB or further up the park. 

It all gives us options for any injury, loss of form, suspension.   

Overall I'm happy with our current position, particularly if we're only playing 1 out and out striker.  In essence Shields/Efford are cover for KVV. 

11 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

If there is substance to Louis stories and he signs then I hope fans are realistic and don't expect instant miracles.  However let's just wait and see. COYW

If he signs then i cant see how it can be anything other than good news. Will he be the same player as we had before? Highly doubtful. However can he be an able back up for VV when he's knackered or suspended? Surely.

Also, we all know if he gets himself fit, he will fight tooth & nail for a starting spot.

2 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

I hope all this Moult talk is just that talk.  No interest in him returning with his injury record since he left us

What if he is actually fit? He has been on the Burton bench since season start so that is positive. Why would they have him on the bench if he is crocked?

Agree it would be a risk. But on the right terms it might be one worth taking. Can we maybe wait and see how he performs and how often before writing him off. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Agreed. Having SOD really helps  solve a few potential issues.   

McGinn can easily slot in at centre half of holding mid. 
SOD can play either LB/RB or further up the park. 

It all gives us options for any injury, loss of form, suspension.   

Overall I'm happy with our current position, particularly if we're only playing 1 out and out striker.  In essence Shields/Efford are cover for KVV. 

Finally someone seeing the team as i do,to be fair its not that difficult if some people would just take the blinkers off

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dennyc said:

What if he is actually fit? He has been on the Burton bench since season start so that is positive. Why would they have him on the bench if he is crocked?

Agree it would be a risk. But on the right terms it might be one worth taking. Can we maybe wait and see how he performs and how often before writing him off. 

If he's actually fit why is he on the bench? in a team that is bottom of League 1

• David locked this topic