2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

12 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

At least today's performance proved that we need several players in January. Whether thats remotely possible or feasible, I don't know.

For starters, a commanding centre back who can organise. In midfield some pace please and an experienced old head as an anchor in front of the defence. Oh, and two strikers.  

If we could start with the two strikers who played most of the second half I would be happy (big if though).

19 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I know it's a lower decision but I would take a punt on akinyemi of Ayr utd, worth a bid in January 

Just watched him in the game against  Hamilton tonight, he's a  big unit, good on the ball and seems to be scoring lots for Ayr, so he might be worth a punt but depends on what sort of contract he is on and given he is their main goal threat Ayr won't want to lose him so might be difficult to deal with.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Just watched him in the game against  Hamilton tonight, he's a  big unit, good on the ball and seems to be scoring lots for Ayr, so he might be worth a punt but depends on what sort of contract he is on and given he is their main goal threat Ayr won't want to lose him so might be difficult to deal with.

Swap deal for Morris and Maguire....seemples

14 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

I'm getting Ally Graham vibes from this suggestion.

Watching st mirren game and ohara captain for them. He's looked gd in every game I've seen him for them and imo was a mistake letting him go. Better than everyone of our midfield. 
Not many were arguing to keep him at the time, and maybe he wanted to go.

5 hours ago, gaz7 said:

Watching st mirren game and ohara captain for them. He's looked gd in every game I've seen him for them and imo was a mistake letting him go. Better than everyone of our midfield. 

Have to agree with that, maybe the change of manager has brought out the best in him, but I always liked him and wish we still had him as currently we have no options for midfield 

2 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Have to agree with that, maybe the change of manager has brought out the best in him, but I always liked him and wish we still had him as currently we have no options for midfield 

He wasn't the worst player to go through the club recently but he was inconsistent and injured half the time.  

For me he had his chance and moving him on  was fair enough.  We should judge players on 'did they do enough' rather than 'are they better than this lot'.

Need at least five in in January, if Penney is away need a LB, need a CB, need a midfielder like wee Al that will run all day and create space, and two forward players, a goal scorer and one with pace that can play either wing. Not asking for much, hope the board will back us.

Some kind of defensive midfielder, a center half, and at least one striker who has some pace.

All we really have coming back from injury is Efford and Mcginn, who are decent, but aren't going to move the needle to get us out of the bottom half shit fest.

6 hours ago, fizoxy said:

Some kind of defensive midfielder, a center half, and at least one striker who has some pace.

All we really have coming back from injury is Efford and Mcginn, who are decent, but aren't going to move the needle to get us out of the bottom half shit fest.

If Alexander had followed that blueprint he’d still be in employment.

If we consistently can't bring in the right type of players during the summer I wouldn't get your hopes up for the winter window. 

It's getting harder and harder to bring in good quality players .  You've got the impression it's been a real struggle going back over several managers now and Hammell probably has fewer contacts in the game.

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

If we consistently can't bring in the right type of players during the summer I wouldn't get your hopes up for the winter window. 

It's getting harder and harder to bring in good quality players .  You've got the impression it's been a real struggle going back over several managers now and Hammell probably has fewer contacts in the game.

Thats certainly the case.

Im not expecting miracles in January and anyone we do sign is unlikely to have played much football in the first half of the season.

Im just hoping that given we have known the issues since the last window closed, work has been ongoing and there is at least the chance of some decent loans coming in as other clubs now know for certain which players are in their plans and which ones are not.

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

And that’s why it comes back to improving those we already have, we’re not going to bring in half a dozen quality players.

2 hours ago, wellwell91 said:

Think people on here need to take a reality check on what to expect in January if they think we’re going to making multiple signings in January.

Unless we are somehow able to get O’Donnell, Shileds and Morris of the wage bill the best we can hope for is 1 loan signing.

I'd be happy to keep S'OD and slip McGinn into central defence - all depends on what we can do.

I'm hoping that we can bring in some decent loan signings.  

7 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

I'd be happy to keep S'OD and slip McGinn into central defence - all depends on what we can do.

I'm hoping that we can bring in some decent loan signings.  

so do half of the league       but we will probably end up with the usual dross from gillingham, exeter ( or insert club of choice )    

Surely the point of having a head of recruitment is that we don't need to rely on the manager's contacts? I'm yet to be convinced by Daws, but finding and acquiring players is his job.

Agree on the windows, if we keep going into January requiring major surgery we're going to have a bad time.

Most managers talk about how they are inundated with agents pushing players multiple times per week. I doubt Hammell will be any different in that respect.

The challenge with January windows is that the vast majority of teams are going to hang to the the vast majority of their best players; especially at our level. So once again you are left looking at players with "a point to prove" or who are "looking for game time" etc. Which can work out well, of course, but is always higher risk.

• David locked this topic