2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

"He lost his job because the club panicked after we lost in Europe" ???

Should that not read

"He left his job after we lost in Europe which was the final straw for the Board Members who had supported  him despite a terrible record over the previous six months. During which time he showed no ability to turn things around or put a decent product on the pitch"

or perhaps

"Having witnessed new signing Josh Morris attempting to play football, enough was enough"

To state that the Sligo shambles was the only reason for Alexander's departure is just not true. Agreed it was the final straw, but there was already enough evidence to question his position. He was fortunate to still be there.

Also, that previous six months record allied to the Sligo performances do little to suggest we would be in a better place now had he stayed. His time was up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pretzel said:

Seen reports that Mandron is only out for a few weeks. Obviously putting two and two together with us trying to add a new forward I thought he was going to be out for a lengthy spell.

The club are good at this, it's there new trick!

Louis was only a couple of weeks to begin with remember....it turned out he was only fit for a couple of weeks in 6 months!!!

53 minutes ago, dennyc said:

"He lost his job because the club panicked after we lost in Europe" ???

Should that not read

"He left his job after we lost in Europe which was the final straw for the Board Members who had supported  him despite a terrible record over the previous six months. During which time he showed no ability to turn things around or put a decent product on the pitch"

or perhaps

"Having witnessed new signing Josh Morris attempting to play football, enough was enough"

To state that the Sligo shambles was the only reason for Alexander's departure is just not true. Agreed it was the final straw, but there was already enough evidence to question his position. He was fortunate to still be there.

Also, that previous six months record allied to the Sligo performances do little to suggest we would be in a better place now had he stayed. His time was up.

Two points/questions then we can either revisit the Alexander thread or leave it be:

I've seen a few people claim that he left his job. But I've also seen it claimed that he's still being paid by the club to sit home and do nothing, and that this is the case until either his contract term is complete or he gets a new job. If this is the case then he almost certainly didn't leave the position of his own accord, as he would most likely be due nothing if he quit. That's why we see managers up and down the country hanging onto their jobs when they're well past their welcome. They want sacked because then they get a payoff that they wouldn't get if they quit.

So, which is it? Does anyone actually know?

Finally, I've said it numerous times already on this forum. The time to sack him or for him to leave was the end of the previous season. If the club weren't interested in that option then we should have run with him until about November and seen if he could turn it around. Like most other clubs would have. If we're still not happy, we remove him and bring in someone else just ahead of the January window. Parting company with him literally days before the new season kicked off was an absolute shambles of the highest order, and is at least partly responsible for the position we find ourselves in now.

And for the record, that entire pre-season was a total farce. We were having work done to our pitch which curtailed our ability to schedule home friendlies, and apparently a number of the friendly games we had scheduled to play away from home were cancelled quite late on. I don't know who's fault that was, but I doubt it was the job of the manager to be on the phones arranging pre-season friendlies. 

We went into our European games with two friendlies under our belt. Two. Nowhere near enough to be able to compete with a team that was, at that time, five months deep into their season. Yes, it's League of Ireland but the gulf in class between us and them isn't so great as to allow us to come in cold pre-season with two kick-abouts under our belt.

And I actually disagree with your final point. I think if Alexander had been kept on we'd be in a better position than we are now. He's a more experienced operator than Hammell, and while he did sign Morris, he also signed Spittal and McGinn, and was part of the process that saw Van Veen sign a new deal, so there was positive moves made in that summer. 

Of course the football would still be eye-bleeding stuff to watch and no doubt how he dressed and his "arrogance" would still be annoying to certain people, but I'd be far more confident of us avoiding the drop with someone like Alexander at the helm than Hammell. Just my own personal opinion, mind.

2 hours ago, wellfan said:

My thought process on that post was the desire to bait a lot of people who think our club is a Mickey Mouse club, which worked. Makes for a more exciting transfer deadline day. 

It really didnt work.

The 3 people who responded are by and large very supportive of the club and have never stated that it was "mickey mouse".

And to be fair, we have enough trolls on here without you joining in the "fun".

30 minutes ago, David said:

Two points/questions then we can either revisit the Alexander thread or leave it be:

I've seen a few people claim that he left his job. But I've also seen it claimed that he's still being paid by the club to sit home and do nothing, and that this is the case until either his contract term is complete or he gets a new job. If this is the case then he almost certainly didn't leave the position of his own accord, as he would most likely be due nothing if he quit. That's why we see managers up and down the country hanging onto their jobs when they're well past their welcome. They want sacked because then they get a payoff that they wouldn't get if they quit.

Finally, I've said it numerous times already on this forum. The time to sack him or for him to leave was the end of the previous season. If the club weren't interested in that option then we should have run with him until about November and seen if he could turn it around. Like most other clubs would have. If we're still not happy, we remove him and bring in someone else just ahead of the January window. Parting company with him literally days before the new season kicked off was an absolute shambles of the highest order, and is at least partly responsible for the position we find ourselves in now.

And for the record, that entire pre-season was a total farce. We were having work done to our pitch which curtailed our ability to schedule home friendlies, and apparently a number of the friendly games we had scheduled to play away from home were cancelled quite late on. I don't know who's fault that was, but I doubt it was the job of the manager to be on the phones arranging pre-season friendlies. 

We went into our European games with two friendlies under our belt. Two. Nowhere near enough to be able to compete with a team that was, at that time, five months deep into their season. Yes, it's League of Ireland but the gulf in class between us and them isn't so great as to allow us to come in cold pre-season with two kick-abouts under our belt.

And I actually disagree with your final point. I think if Alexander had been kept on we'd be in a better position than we are now. He's a more experienced operator than Hammell, and while he did sign Morris, he also signed Spittal and McGinn, and was part of the process that saw Van Veen sign a new deal, so there was positive moves made in that summer. 

Of course the football would still be eye-bleeding stuff to watch and no doubt how he dressed and his "arrogance" would still be annoying to certain people, but I'd be far more confident of us avoiding the drop with someone like Alexander at the helm than Hammell. Just my own personal opinion, mind.

I completely agree with you. I also think we would be in a higher position right now under Alexander. Its completely irrelevant whether the team are playing slightly better football under Hammell (although that's debatable), the results aren't happening. Hammell looks completely out of his depth and we are in trouble. I also understand that Motherwell are trying to compete with clubs that can offer better terms but I've just watched his interview where he says we might get one or two players in before the transfer window closes. Might?

We're in big trouble if this squad isn't strengthened ASAP. 

41 minutes ago, David said:

None of us know whether Alexander walked, was fired or came to a mutual agreement.

None of us know if the club is still paying him some sort of wage, although it is likely if he was mutualled.

I was in total agreement with you last season that there was no way in the world that the club were sacking a manager that had got us top 6 and qualified for Europe, no matter how horrible the football was and how much I wanted him gone.

But the absolute poverty of perfomrance, not once, but twice and the level of vitriol towards Alexander after those games made it impossible for him to continue.

I dont give a shit about his clothes or his personality, but if the board had decided to tough it out, the first home game would have been absolutely toxic. He couldnt survive that.

I totally agree, the timing wasnt good and it has left Hammy under severe pressure because of the restrictions placed upon him as a result.

Thats why Im still behind him.

He deserves this window to get some players in. Try and effect some change in the squad and improve our results to try and keep us up. 

If we are into March and he has got some players in and we still havent won a game and seen some significant improvements, then I will concede he was the wrong man at the wrong time.

Its gonna be a long 8.5 hours.........

6 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

I completely agree with you. I also think we would be in a higher position right now under Alexander. Its completely irrelevant whether the team are playing slightly better football under Hammell (although that's debatable), the results aren't happening. Hammell looks completely out of his depth and we are in trouble. I also understand that Motherwell are trying to compete with clubs that can offer better terms but I've just watched his interview where he says we might get one or two players in before the transfer window closes. Might?

We're in big trouble if this squad isn't strengthened ASAP. 

Im not sure we would be in a higher position if Alexander was still here.

Just look at our form in the second half of last season.

Whose to say he would have got in better players at the tail end of the window.

Whose to say he wouldnt have had the same injuries and suspensions Hammy has had to deal with?

Whose to say he wouldnt have alienated more of tge squad with his attitude.

Kilmarnock have a very experienced manager in place right now that I would have taken over Alexander any day of the week. But they are still bottom and with a far worse goal difference than ours.

It has been mentioned elsewhere, but we have all got into the habit of thinking that we are a terrible defensive outfit because of the type of goals we concede (which have been awful). But when you look at the number of goals we actually concede, they arent high condidering our position.

I do think a proper defensive midfielder would help us out and make up for the deficiences in our current midfield.

We definitely need a LB.

Up top all depends on how long Mandron is out. If its more than a week or 2 we need someone else.

Tick tock. Tick tock.......

25 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

It really didnt work.

The 3 people who responded are by and large very supportive of the club and have never stated that it was "mickey mouse".

And to be fair, we have enough trolls on here without you joining in the "fun".

Sorry officer.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I totally agree, the timing wasnt good and it has left Hammy under severe pressure because of the restrictions placed upon him as a result.

Thats why Im still behind him.

He deserves this window to get some players in. Try and effect some change in the squad and improve our results to try and keep us up. 

This is key, and most relevant to discussion in the present moment. Those saying we should bin off yet another manager this season are mental. Hammell was always going to need this January window at the very minimum, with a proper pre-season and summer to really put his stamp on things.

We simply cannot judge the guy after less than six months in the job, especially when it's not even his team yet.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Tony Watt in Paisley for a medical , no surprise there. 

The sad thing is Robinson has put together a better team than us with players most did not rate, Watt will strengthen them again. I would take any of them over what we have now.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

The sad thing is Robinson has put together a better team than us with players most did not rate, Watt will strengthen them again. I would take any of them over what we have now.

I wouldn't say it's players we didn't rate. 

Carson - much loved by the fans but illness and Gillespie's form stopped him regaining No.1 spot

Dunne - again, popular player amongst fans but injuries made him a liability for a long term contract

Gallagher - great first season but head turned when Aberdeen came calling, ability never questioned but mentality was

Main - filled the Moult-shaped gap after January but went too long without scoring in first full season

O'Hara - concussion meant his performances were fleeting, but was never a poor player for us

21 minutes ago, Kris-A-Goalda said:

I wouldn't say it's players we didn't rate. 

Carson - much loved by the fans but illness and Gillespie's form stopped him regaining No.1 spot

Dunne - again, popular player amongst fans but injuries made him a liability for a long term contract

Gallagher - great first season but head turned when Aberdeen came calling, ability never questioned but mentality was

Main - filled the Moult-shaped gap after January but went too long without scoring in first full season

O'Hara - concussion meant his performances were fleeting, but was never a poor player for us

Dunn, Gallagher, Main, and O’Hara all took plenty of stick.

• David locked this topic