Kilmarnock v Motherwell 27/08/2022

SteelmaninOZ

I've just had a quick look at the stats for today. Motherwell allowed Kilmarnock  21 shots today. Allowing that many efforts on goal will almost always result in a defeat. We have to prevent teams from having so many chances.

Hammell cost us that with the subs. Morris effectively put us down to ten men and instead of having a tap in to kill the game overran the pass exactly the same as he did at home to Sligo. He's so bad you have to question his commitment. 

Ross Tierney is a circus act not a professional footballer. He should be put out on loan to prove himself but he's not the standard for our first team.

Just now, MFCL84 said:

The goals were soft, but Kilmarnock had plenty of opportunities earlier and failed to take them. A team with some half decent finishers would have embarrassed Motherwell today.

Spot on mate.  Kilmarnock better team by a mile and in the second half they bossed the game.

I know we lost 2 soft goals and our back four is very weak but in their defence our midfield was again posted missing - Goss, Slattery and Spittall just not good enough.

If Stevie Hammell really thought there had been an uptick in performances from this lot he’s just had a right good rude awakening.

Well that was disappointing but we can’t complain about losing.

The positive from today was a very good goal which was well set up and well taken.

The negatives unfortunately were all too common. Bullied in midfield and weak defensively. We were inviting pressure onto our backline from the minute we went ahead and that was always going to end badly.

Results and performances like that are going to happen, that’s something we are just going to have to accept going forward with the current squad we have. We just need to pick up as many points against our ‘peers’ as we can to avoid relegation/the playoffs this season.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GrahamH said:

Poor performance, but it was going to come at some point. Hopefully once the new signings are up to speed and joined by a couple of others we’ll have a stronger starting 11 and more strength in depth.

Yes, in general we have been better but this game was a step backwards in as much as we never looked organized. Aside from the goal assist, lack of creativity and presence from the midfield. Hopefully, we can improve again for next week. Not sure why he subbed Cornelius. Didn’t think he was tiring yet and I think we miss his energy when he goes off. Need to kick united while they are down next week and get 3 points. 

16 minutes ago, spudmfc said:

Does his business..r u serious,he scored a good goal but his touch n build up play was pretty poor,he was in great positions but was just to selfish

Wtf are you girning about Van Veen for?  He is in the team to score goals and so far he’s proved pretty adept at that.

We’ve played 5 league matches, scored 7 goals and he’s gotten 5 of them.  If only the rest of them were as efficient at their job as him.

In this league those are the games you need to win, Kilmarnock were joint bottom with a -8 goal difference for a reason ie they are honking. When you're 70 mins into a game and winning 1-0 we should  be seeing those games out, but as I have said before were are feckin brutal at managing that, we constantly defend too deep and invite teams onto us, that's down to the midfield going missing.

As it stands 9 points from 5 games is decent but in all honesty it should have been another 3 today and 1 from the St Johnstone game which would have had us joint top ffs on 13.  The Dundee untd game is important now as I expect them to get nothing tomorrow  so  a win  against them at Fir park next week is vital to keep a nice gap early in the season and have us looking up and not down going forward.

• Like 1

As I posted on P&B. We have 9 points. When in reality we only deserve 7 points or probably only 6. So there is that positive. Better to win one lose one in this league. 

Morris is not on Hammell. But he really has not delivered anything other than utter mediocrity. 

This result only strengthens the need for a few quality additions. A forward to compete with Van Veen and that is not Efford or Shields. A commanding CB that can defend crosses.  Hopefully we can move on a couple to create space as well. 

Disappointing but better to win one lose one in this league. Lucky to beat Livi last weekend with a non penalty. A draw last week and draw this week and we would probably b OK with that but have one less point……..trying to cheer myself up with that logic :-) 

4 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

In this league those are the games you need to win, Kilmarnock were joint bottom with a -8 goal difference for a reason ie they are honking. When you're 70 mins into a game and winning 1-0 we should  be seeing those games out, but as I have said before were are feckin brutal at managing that, we constantly defend too deep and invite teams onto us, that's down to the midfield going missing.

As it stands 9 points from 5 games is decent but in all honesty it should have been another 3 today and 1 from the St Johnstone game which would have had us joint top ffs on 13.  The Dundee untd game is important now as I expect them to get nothing tomorrow  so  a win  against them at Fir park next week is vital to keep a nice gap early in the season and have us looking up and not down going forward.

You conveniently forget about the lucky penalty v Livi. The performance and fluky result v St Mirren. 

You remind me of my golf.  Moan about the bad bounces and forget about the time I hit a tree and landed in the middle of the fairway !

We are lucky to have 9 points. So will take that. Agree v United. Likely they will lose or certainly not win v Celtic. So will come to Fir Park looking for 1st league win. We need a few decent additions this week. Crucial if we want to kick on. 

Frontline apart from KVV is shocking,Shields needs to got on a 6 month loan if he hasn't  banged in a fair few goes then let him go in January.KVV gets injured we are going to be bang in trouble have no faith in any of the rest of them to score.

We need someone in midfield box to box player that can tackle least stick f--king foot in!

Shields is a lower league player, he’s completely out of his depth at this level. The same could be said of Efford and Morris. Both of them made an impact last week but they will never be the long term answer.

We need to be a lot more shrewd in our transfer dealings.

I was at the game today.....disappointing. We started really well and it was a really nicely worked goal. After that we seemed to just sit off. Kilmarnock were winning all the 2nd balls and we could not track the midfield runners.....I can remember at 4 times in the 1st half where Cornelius was caught out by the same ball in the left channel. Midfield is where we really lack. No spark, no movement and we end up so deep inviting pressure and leaving our limited players (especially morris) up front with too much to do.  Kelly's kicking was so aimless at times too. That being said there was some positives in McGinn, the goal and the fact we didn't chuck it. Expecting quite a bit of movement this week after that if there wasn't going to be already.

Hammell mentioned yesterday that he's looking for a winger and a striker,hopefully he can make that happen as we definitely need another couple of options up front.i would like to see efford moved on but not sure that will happen,he was a headless chicken when he came on today,sadly him and shields are far to similar.im not sure what morris is going to offer us,he looks the type that come the end of the season we still won't know what his position really is.kilmarnock are shite,there was no need to be sitting in trying to defend that lead,we really need to sharpen up at the back though,that's a few soft goals we have gave away already this season.

We have issues all over the pitch, but they can't all be addressed in one or even two transfer windows. Hammell has recognised the problem at left back and done something about it. That will hopefully shore up that side of the defence. However, the midfield have to do more to prevent the opposition getting at our back line and also be more creative for the guys up top. So, that is where I'd be looking to strengthen. If we sort out the midfield, we'll protect the defence and so ship fewer goals and also give the forwards more opportunities by winning the ball higher up the pitch. If we can also get a forward in that can support Van Veen, that'll be a bonus.

26 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

You conveniently forget about the lucky penalty v Livi. The performance and fluky result v St Mirren. 

You remind me of my golf.  Moan about the bad bounces and forget about the time I hit a tree and landed in the middle of the fairway !

We are lucky to have 9 points. So will take that. Agree v United. Likely they will lose or certainly not win v Celtic. So will come to Fir Park looking for 1st league win. We need a few decent additions this week. Crucial if we want to kick on. 

Lucky penalties,  flukey results aye you could be battered for 89 mins but the only thing that matters is who scores the most goals and if you score more goals than your  opponent you deserve  to win the game that's how football works,  goals get you points, so we deserved the wins against St Mirren and Aberdeen. As for the penalty later in the season with Var we probably would not have been given it, but as we stand the Livi player gave the linesman and Ref a decision to make and we got it, they thought it was a pen nothing to do with luck.

It will even itself out over the season as we are bound to be on the wrong side of a decision at some point, so my post was not based on selective memory we have earned and deserved all the points we have so far and if we knew how to see a game out we definitely should have had another 1 from the St J game and at worst 1 from Killie.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, El Grew said:

Wtf are you girning about Van Veen for?  He is in the team to score goals and so far he’s proved pretty adept at that.

We’ve played 5 league matches, scored 7 goals and he’s gotten 5 of them.  If only the rest of them were as efficient at their job as him.

Im girning at the fact that if he played others in as he should've done we wouldnt need t rely on him scoring all the goals,hes been guilty of that in most of our games 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, mfc said:

Hammell mentioned yesterday that he's looking for a winger and a striker,hopefully he can make that happen as we definitely need another couple of options up front.i would like to see efford moved on but not sure that will happen,he was a headless chicken when he came on today,sadly him and shields are far to similar.im not sure what morris is going to offer us,he looks the type that come the end of the season we still won't know what his position really is.kilmarnock are shite,there was no need to be sitting in trying to defend that lead,we really need to sharpen up at the back though,that's a few soft goals we have gave away already this season.

If he doesn't get a winger and a striker I would just stick big Bevis up front with KVV cause I am convinced we would get more results out of that combo than Efford and Shields.

Shields and Efford between them  played 10 games this season in the league  and 1 assist that's yer lot!Nope not good enough utter shocking.

Since then have came to the Well 

Efford played 19 games 2 goals 1 assist

Shields played 30 games 2 goals 2 assist 

Most alarming stat KVV last season played 32 games 13 yellow cards lol.

That was a reality check and after hammy saying a couple of players may have shown more than he thought,he must nowknow there's a few just no good enough, too many players falling on their arse on that shite surface but no excuse,same problems we had with ga,defence,midfield and forward line,lol,mid especially went missing,knew the equaliser was coming and then only one team was going to win,desperately need a few coming in,the pressures on to get ones that will go straight in to team,2 big games coming up to regain confidence 

5 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

If he doesn't get a winger and a striker I would just stick big Bevis up front with KVV cause I am convinced we would get more results out of that combo than Efford and Shields.

Shields and Efford between them  played 10 games this season in the league  and 1 assist that's yer lot!Nope not good enough utter shocking.

Since then have came to the Well 

Efford played 19 games 2 goals 1 assist

Shields played 30 games 2 goals 2 assist 

Most alarming stat KVV last season played 32 games 13 yellow cards lol.

I like a stat or 2,those don't make for good reading especially the assists,i think that may b the system they play in when they only have one target in the middle

14 minutes ago, spudmfc said:

Im girning at the fact that if he played others in as he should've done we wouldnt need t rely on him scoring all the goals,hes been guilty of that in most of our games 

He did set up Tierney when we were 3 on 2, who got a weak shot off but agree he needs better decision making on when to keep and when to lay it off.  I’m still not sure about Tierney. Seems like he has had a fair number number scoring chances since arriving but not able to capitalize on them. Still, I think he may turn out to be decent. 

38 minutes ago, spudmfc said:

He played Efford and Tierney in in the second half and we came away with nothing. Shields ballsed up a 1 on 1 as well. 

• Like 1