SLCup Motherwell v Inverness CT 31/08/22

SteelmaninOZ

2 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Everybody knew that, you don't suddenly go from beating AZ Alkmaar in Europe without conceding a goal to finishing your next 4 games with a  -23 goal difference, Saturday will be a very tough game.

September is going to be a tough month but October will be worse. Need to try and get as many points as possible in the next 3 games. 

24 minutes ago, Well Well said:

This is an absolutely terrible comment...Did you actually go to the game?.. We created lots of chances, lots of one touch football and free flowing stuff all over the park...ball was pinged about on the deck all over the place. Efford probably had his best game for us on the right. Tierney was unplayable and Goss was spraying great passes all over the park. Defence were outstanding when called upon and mopped everything up. Even under pressure they didn't punt it up the park and played the ball on the deck out of bother. I have no problems about where the goals come from as the players were breaking their neck to get in about the goals and were just unlucky not to score.

Yes I was at the game so wind yer neck in.  My remarks were meant to be constructive and anyway they were factually correct.

Maybe the name of this site should be changed to Pravda because it seems if you dare to post anything even vaguely critical on it you just get pilloried?  Everybody is entitled to express their views whether you like, agree or disagree with them.

5 minutes ago, El Grew said:

Yes I was at the game so wind yer neck in.  My remarks were meant to be constructive and anyway they were factually correct.

Maybe the name of this site should be changed to Pravda because it seems if you dare to post anything even vaguely critical on it you just get pilloried?  Everybody is entitled to express their views whether you like, agree or disagree with them.

It was a ridiculous comment and your constant doom mongering is getting tiresome and predictably boring. 4-0 at home and your still having a dig...some people are never bloody happy. Give it a rest and enjoy the performance and win for a change.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

This boy played well tonight 

He did indeed play well. Anther positive from the game tonight. Some very composed play, nice touches and the confidence to take on an opponent and draw a foul. Let's hope that he continues to develop and that we see him contribute to the team for a few seasons. 

5 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

Nobody has mentioned the performance of debut boy Penney, I know the opposition were dire but have to say I was impressed by him tonight and certainly looks a decent addition.

Glad he had a good debut or he would have taken a POUNDing, I also believe his favourite player is Raheem STERLING.  sorry folks, still happy after tonight's result 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, El Grew said:

Good result absolutely no doubt. My only gripe (again) is that only one of our 4 goals came  from open play and if Van Veen doesn’t score we’re shafted.

I have to agree.  I was saying as much when leaving the ground. It isn’t a criticism of how well the team played tonight. They were a joy to watch at times. The move leading to the first penalty was superb. This was definitely the best performance that I have seen from a Motherwell team in quite some time. Great entertainment and hugely enjoyable. However,  there were a good few chances squandered. If we are hoping to do well in the league, we'll have to finish more of those opportunities against tougher opposition than tonight's opponents. 

16 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

Nobody has mentioned the performance of debut boy Penney, I know the opposition were dire but have to say I was impressed by him tonight and certainly looks a decent addition.

Absolutely, I will be going for Penney as my man of the match. He didn't have a lot to do defensively,  but his wingback play going forward was exceptional. Some lovely passes, great movement and very dangerous balls into the box. On this showing it looks like we have an asset. It'll be great if he can defend too.

To put it into context...it was ICT afterall but it was a game like this that we needed for the confidence,the back 4 did wot they had to n were all comfortable on the ball in the build up,mat penney had a great debut,hammy mustve had a word wi slattery at half time as he was excellent he was the trigger for the press t win the ball back,goss just looked so elegant on the ball n strolled through the game,he and slattery linked great in the middle,joe effords pace was frightening n im glad he got an assist,ross T in the hole looked dangerous,might've scored wi the header and the run from midfield at the end was unlucky i thought he just ran out of legs,the subs contributed also,the young lad miller looks the part,mckinstry had some amazing touches and runs aarons will do as an option as well..another addition or 2 according t hammy in his interview after the game gives a very competative squad

3 hours ago, spudmfc said:

To put it into context...it was ICT afterall but it was a game like this that we needed for the confidence,the back 4 did wot they had to n were all comfortable on the ball in the build up,mat penney had a great debut,hammy mustve had a word wi slattery at half time as he was excellent he was the trigger for the press t win the ball back,goss just looked so elegant on the ball n strolled through the game,he and slattery linked great in the middle,joe effords pace was frightening n im glad he got an assist,ross T in the hole looked dangerous,might've scored wi the header and the run from midfield at the end was unlucky i thought he just ran out of legs,the subs contributed also,the young lad miller looks the part,mckinstry had some amazing touches and runs aarons will do as an option as well..another addition or 2 according t hammy in his interview after the game gives a very competative squad

Spud is there an issue preventing you from using complete words? if there is, no worries, but I struggle to read your posts mate.

• Like 2

Thought we were excellent last night. I understand we were playing a championship club, but Im struggling to recall a cup tie in recent memory where we looked so comfortable against a lower league opponent and despatched them with such ease. Remember this ICT team got to the play off final as recently as this May.  I also wouldnt rate them any worse than Sligo and we know how that turned out.

Its amazing the difference a new manager and a few weeks can make. There was an intensity, speed of thought and speed of pass that we just didnt get under GA. 

We played some really nice footbal with lovely interplay between Slattery, Goss, Spittal, Tierney and KVV. The movement off the ball was much better and we created some very good chances over and above the ones we scored.

You can see little partnerships developing in all areas of the pitch and its clear to see that many of these players are indeed much better than they were allowed to show under the previous regime. 

Its still early days, and much tougher tests lie ahead, but its all very encouraging and actually a nice feeling to be enjoying going to the fitba again.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Its still early days, and much tougher tests lie ahead, but its all very encouraging and actually a nice feeling to be enjoying going to the fitba again.

Have to say I like Stevie's interviews, comes across as passionate, sounds like he has a vision for the team and is under no illusions of the task in hand.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Well Well said:

It was a ridiculous comment and your constant doom mongering is getting tiresome and predictably boring. 4-0 at home and your still having a dig...some people are never bloody happy. Give it a rest and enjoy the performance and win for a change.

Hard f*cking cheese!  I did not say we didn’t play well but let’s put the win into some kind of perspective.

I’ll tell you what is predictably boring is reading posts from the likes of you gushing over us beating a lower league team that have 1 win in their first 5 games, sit 3rd bottom of their league and who Partick Thistle recently humped.  This may or may not be the start of a new dawn - I hope it is - but until such time as we start looking like we can do this at home to teams in our league, I’ll reserve any judgement.

Oh and if you don’t like my posts tough titty.  Don’t read them!

11 hours ago, steelboy said:

Playing them midweek is great.

Is it? The only way this would be great would be if by some miracle - and it would be a miracle - we actually won this tie.

Their fans are bad enough at the best of times but from experience they tend to be worse behaved when they come through here for evening kick offs, more likely because of the amount of alcohol they can drink in the hours leading up to it.

I just wish we’d been drawn against anyone other than this lot. They are poison and the baggage that comes with them, which has definitely got worse in the last decade, makes the inevitable defeat all the harder to stomach.

11 hours ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

This boy played well tonight 

Quite a few of his Scotland u17 team mates moved to bigger clubs during the summer so getting him signed was great work by the club. We lost Bailey Rice to Rangers, Ben Doak went from Celtic to Liverpool, Rory Wilson from Rangers to Aston Villa and Charlie McArthur Kilmarnock to Newcastle. We obviously can't match wages with bigger clubs but we can offer first team football.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, steelboy said:

We drew the last two midweek games against them at Fir Park compared to losing all the recent weekend games.

Our last midweek game against them was a 4-0 defeat in February 2020. 

The 1-1 draw in December 2018 was the last time we didn’t lose to them. I have actually lost count how many straight losses we’ve had to them since then. 

edit: it’s twelve straight losses. 0-3, 1-4, 2-5, 0-2, 0-4, 0-3, 1-4, 1-2, 0-2, 0-1, 0-4, 0-6.

• Like 1