SLCup Motherwell v Inverness CT 31/08/22

SteelmaninOZ

That was good entertainment, we passed the ball well with Slattery and Goss linking up nicely. We were still lacking some cohesion and quality in the final third but hopefully Stevie can find the right combination to play beside Van Veen. Penney strolled it against limited opposition and gave us some width on the left we have been badly lacking this season.

Miller and McKinstry both looked good tonight. Composed on the ball and good athletes.

Celtic in a midweek quarter final at Fir Park should be a cracking atmosphere at least. It's a tough draw but better than being away to the Old Firm or away to Kilie or Aberdeen. Celtic have midweek games 6 weeks in a row from the start of October with 4 in the Champions League and two at Fir Park so they might rest some players and have a few injuries.

Really professional job by us tonight,that was as comfortable as game as it gets.pity about the draw,no doubt the game will be on tele with a decent crowd so we should make a few quid if nothing else but we're at home if we have any chance of beating them that's where it will happen.

For a few different reasons that was my first game since Sligo at home qnd wow, what a turnaround. Forget the scoreline, it was great to see us going forward with intent, attacking, making things happen and even when not in possession, really pushing up on ICT.

Our players actually look like they know what they are doing and it was enjoyable to watch.  It must be enjoyable for them as well without us all shouting at them.

The shape went to pot with all the subs but the game was done by then.

Could we have won that under GA? Possibly, but it certainly wouldnt have been pretty or even comfortable. We would have sat back a bit and made ICT look good. Tonight, we never gave them that chance.

59 minutes ago, El Grew said:

Good result absolutely no doubt. My only gripe (again) is that only one of our 4 goals came  from open play and if Van Veen doesn’t score we’re shafted.

This is an absolutely terrible comment...Did you actually go to the game?.. We created lots of chances, lots of one touch football and free flowing stuff all over the park...ball was pinged about on the deck all over the place. Efford probably had his best game for us on the right. Tierney was unplayable and Goss was spraying great passes all over the park. Defence were outstanding when called upon and mopped everything up. Even under pressure they didn't punt it up the park and played the ball on the deck out of bother. I have no problems about where the goals come from as the players were breaking their neck to get in about the goals and were just unlucky not to score.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Well Well said:

This is an absolutely terrible comment...Did you actually go to the game?.. We created lots of chances, lots of one touch football and free flowing stuff all over the park...ball was pinged about on the deck all over the place. Efford probably had his best game for us on the right. Tierney was unplayable and Goss was spraying great passes all over the park. Defence were outstanding when called upon and mopped everything up. Even under pressure they didn't punt it up the park and played the ball on the deck out of bother. I have no problems about where the goals come from as the players were breaking their neck to get in about the goals and were just unlucky not to score.

Agree 100% , I actually said to my mate leaving the ground "I bet ye someone mentions only 1 goal from open play"

15 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Well that’s us out.

We are yes. When you add in the horrible experience of having to play Celtic, encounter their supporters and have them swarming all over Fir Park and the surrounding area then it makes this draw an even less enticing prospect.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

We are yes. When you add in the horrible experience of having to play Celtic, encounter their supporters and have them swarming all over Fir Park and the surrounding area then it makes this draw an even less enticing prospect.

Playing them midweek is great.

Playing them at 12 or 1230 is grim as fuck.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Of course none of us wanted Celtic in the next round but let's just enjoy the fact we dealt with what could have been a banana skin with ease. Four players made their debut, Tierney and Efford contributed, all good stuff...

I would go as far to say both had their best game for the club tonight. Tierney was a delight to watch always going forward and his passes were superb. Unlucky not to score near the end. Efford put in a shift on the right and his crosses into the box were all good. He was very effective in that role.

Goss was as comfortable as I have seen him and bossed the midfield along with Slattery who was breaking up play and at one point rode three challenges in midfield coming away with the ball.

Penney on left was comfortable as well and had a great run in 2nd half with a great pass that deserved a decent effort on goal. Aarons also just needed to sneeze on the ball from a ball played across the face of goal from Van Veen to get a goal with his first touch. Young Lennon Miller did not look out of place in the central midfield role when he came on and he is still only 16..!!

38 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Great result tonight.

Awful draw for the next round unfortunately.

Agreed just back in thought we were brilliant tonight, it was 4 but in reality should have been at least 6 as ICT offered feck all. Some of our play was a delight to watch, and no hoofing the ball up the park at every opportunity was a welcome bonus,every player looked up for it from the 1st whistle,  so all in a very good result. 

And then we get a boot in the baws with the QF draw, 2 teams to avoid and anyone of the other 5 would have been a good draw and we get Celtic FFS, honestly if it wasn't for bad luck in cup draws we'd have none.

5 minutes ago, Well Well said:

100% correct..the og was from open play..devine was forced into trying t clear it or kvv wouldve had a tap in..pen 1..the link up 1-2's was a treat t watch n if goss wasnt fouled he wouldve got a shot away n most likely have scored..pen 2 kvv looked t have ran into a corner untill he tried t tee up an in coming team mate(Tierney i think)who im sure would also have got a shot off unless the defender handled it,so t say we only scored 1 from open play is tosh,both pens prevented us from scoring from open play

31 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

Mulgrew and Watt back in the team, looks like there was a falling out with JR. 

Everybody knew that, you don't suddenly go from beating AZ Alkmaar in Europe without conceding a goal to finishing your next 4 games with a  -23 goal difference, Saturday will be a very tough game.