Ross County v Motherwell now Tuesday 04/10/2022

SteelmaninOZ

2 hours ago, dennyc said:

Do you really think a Royal somebody contacted the SFA and instructed them to cancel all football because it would keep the peasants in their place? If so then you are either deluded or obsessed. Given you now want to use the situation to have a go at the Scottish Government suggests it is the latter. I'm just surprised it is not all Burrow's fault. Or is that your next rant?

Each sporting/entertainment organisation was left to make up their own mind regarding whether to cancel or not. Some chose to restart on Saturday/Sunday and some did not. I suspect football authorities up here were concerned that some fans (particularly of a certain Glasgow team) would shame the sport and Scotland by disrupting any planned minute's show of respect. So if you want to blame anyone for games being cancelled, blame the SFA  and the cretins attached to every Club, including ours, who force them to be ultra cautious.

For the record, I am far from a Royalist and am disappointed I will not be heading up to Dingwall tomorrow. But I can understand why that is the case.

Just read the Proms have been cancelled completely for this year. How does that fit in with your opinion that postponements are a class thing?

100% agree, when I made my original post last night about not giving a toss if there is any games I really meant I was not too upset if games would be off and played at a different time 

Hearts fans made a fool of themselves last night at half time and other Hearts fans have been slating them ,  one certain team in Glasgow would embarass the country like they always do in these situations

While I would expect everyone of our decent fans to pay respect their will be an element who will show themselves up , and give the club a bad name which has happened already this season

• Like 3

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

As for the cancellations I think the government probably asked the EPL not to play but didn't want to take responsibility for it.

What evidence do you have for this assumption? Anything I've seen in print says that, in England, the UK Government has advised that its up to the governing bodies of individual sports to decide what to do. Presumably here in Scotland, the Scottish Government has taken an identical line. I think DennyC's take on things is pretty near the mark. 

21 hours ago, dennyc said:

I suspect football authorities up here were concerned that some fans (particularly of a certain Glasgow team) would shame the sport and Scotland by disrupting any planned minute's show of respect. So if you want to blame anyone for games being cancelled, blame the SFA  and the cretins attached to every Club, including ours, who force them to be ultra cautious.

Hearing that the reason for games being cancelled down south is due to lack of available police, so that may very well be the case up here as well. Not only will there be more crowds gathered in various parts of the country, but the terrorist threat level is automatically bumped up in these circumstances apparently.

I guess that makes more sense than the authorities just cancelling games for no real reason.

34 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Games are back this coming weekend

https://spfl.co.uk/news/professional-game-to-resume

Still has the weasel words:

subject to Police Scotland resourcing,

I still wouldn't be surprised to see some games cancelled with the excuse that they are sending police elsewhere to assist, or can't send them to games because of higher threat levels of terrorist activity.

Even the "we can confirm the intention for the professional game to resume as normal" statement isn't definitive. They could just have said "we can confirm the professional game will resume as normal".

Better than nothing, though, and at least there should be something to watch somewhere.

27 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Still has the weasel words.....I still wouldn't be surprised to see some games cancelled with the excuse that they are sending police elsewhere to assist, or can't send them to games because of higher threat levels of terrorist activity.

Even the "we can confirm the intention for the professional game to resume as normal" statement isn't definitive. They could just have said "we can confirm the professional game will resume as normal".

The problem is that final decisions are outwith the remit of the SPFL.  It will be down to the Police end of.  The SPFL, for all its faults, is at the mercy of Police Scotland. 

2 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

The problem is that final decisions are outwith the remit of the SPFL.  It will be down to the Police end of.  The SPFL, for all its faults, is at the mercy of Police Scotland. 

Of course, but you know they will use it as an excuse for any poor decisions they make or have already made.

Will GSTQ be played? Will there be a minute silence? Would it be respected?

I wouldn’t condone booing during a minute silence, despite my feelings about the monarchy, but I would imagine not one ground in the country (Ibrox aside) will manage a full minute without a fair few boos. I’m of the opinion it’s best to just leave it.

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

Will GSTQ be played? Will there be a minute silence? Would it be respected?

I wouldn’t condone booing during a minute silence, despite my feelings about the monarchy, but I would imagine not one ground in the country (Ibrox aside) will manage a full minute without a fair few boos. I’m of the opinion it’s best to just leave it.

I tend to agree my only comment is that the song is now GSTK.

4 hours ago, weeyin said:

I still wouldn't be surprised to see some games cancelled with the excuse that they are sending police elsewhere to assist, or can't send them to games because of higher threat levels of terrorist activity.

So really no different to how it is for every game right across the UK. The Police have the right to veto any game should circumstances warrant. That'll be why they are involved in pre planning for all games then.

Take yesterday as an example. Hearts were due to be at home to St Mirren. Would the police have been wrong to cancel that game had it still been scheduled, given extensive road closures and huge numbers lining the streets as the Cortege passed through?  An event affecting the entire East of Scotland and the main access route to Edinburgh.

I really think folk are looking for reasons to have a go. And how often in reality to the Police actually request a game be rescheduled?  Mountains and molehills

1 hour ago, dennyc said:

So really no different to how it is for every game right across the UK. 

Or every cricket match (not cancelled at the weekend) or golf tournament (not cancelled at the weekend) or rugby (not cancelled at the weeked) or horse racing (not cancelled at the weekend) etc etc.

Nobody is saying there aren't legitmate reasons for cancelling games. What I am saying is that our league has a track record of poor management of these things (like some of the 'covid' postponement debacles with St Mirren and Killie) and they aren't showing any clearer leadership now.