SLC quarter final Motherwell v Celtic 19/10/2022

SteelmaninOZ

1 hour ago, Richie said:

Totally. For all his faults, Baraclough's ignorance to the sycophancy/deference towards Rangers won us the play-offs.
Imagine the vibe coming out of the club had McCall been in charge for that fixture.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Don't really think that was a factor, that was a very poor rangers team

20 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Does anybody truly believe that every time we play the uglies the players and management start with the"right lads we're not going to beat this mob today, so take it easy and don't worry " attitude?  For me that's utter bollocks , Hammell's comment for me were referring to playing ability and they are all true, Celtic in particular are many levels above us, financially,  playing ability, coaching etc and as harsh as it sounds we are nowhere near them. Yes every team is beatable and we have done that on many occasions but the players want to win every game and on most occasions against them that's not possible as they have better players than us and always will have.

As long as the uglies are spending tens of millions each year to dominate domestic football in Scotland the other teams start each season playing for 3rd and that situation will never change. So I can't see why people are getting  stressed about last night we were ripped a new one by a far superior team, who in all honesty should have scored a few more goals as i said previously our season is never defined by results against the uglies anything we get is a bonus, but the other 9 teams are our targets, 3rd place best of the rest finish, Euro qualification,  and a bit of luck in cup draws would be nice.

So much negativity. I’m not sure why. Goals For: Celtic rangers Aberdeen and hearts are better than us. Goals against: Celtic rangers st Mirren and Livingston are better than us. Goal difference: Celtic ranger and Aberdeen are better than us. Points: 7 teams are better than us. So yes, we need to pick up points but we are 4 off third spot although also 4 off bottom. So we have a new manager in place for 2 months and are pretty much middle of pack. We have shown we can play some good stuff, can create lots of chances. So I would say there is reasonable chance that we will start to pick up more points. Perhaps not from the  OF but from other teams who are pretty much having same issues as us. Can’t score enough and conceding too many. So I’d expect us to be just either side of the split after 3 rounds of fixtures. 

49 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Does anybody truly believe that every time we play the uglies the players and management start with the"right lads we're not going to beat this mob today, so take it easy and don't worry " attitude?  For me that's utter bollocks , Hammell's comment for me were referring to playing ability and they are all true, Celtic in particular are many levels above us, financially,  playing ability, coaching etc and as harsh as it sounds we are nowhere near them. Yes every team is beatable and we have done that on many occasions but the players want to win every game and on most occasions against them that's not possible as they have better players than us and always will have.

As long as the uglies are spending tens of millions each year to dominate domestic football in Scotland the other teams start each season playing for 3rd and that situation will never change. So I can't see why people are getting  stressed about last night we were ripped a new one by a far superior team, who in all honesty should have scored a few more goals as i said previously our season is never defined by results against the uglies anything we get is a bonus, but the other 9 teams are our targets, 3rd place best of the rest finish, Euro qualification,  and a bit of luck in cup draws would be nice.

Hear ye pal and appreciate where you are coming from. I just feel there was no need to make the comment. And I am one who has been singing Hammy's praises since he took over.

Ps. In other news I have heard that a Watford Manager now lasts longer in a job than a PM......ba boom

Got to be tough for the managers during interviews.  If you don’t tell the truth you’re talking shite but if you do tell the truth you get lambasted for being defeatist. You also can’t really say all my players are shite. Personally I think the manager interviews are a waste of time. Half the questions are stupid anyway and the other half I wouldn’t believe their answers. What you can say in interviews versus what is said in private, are two vastly different things I’d imagine.  Even talking within the team group versus 1 on1 with each player might be totally different. 

Was always going to be a tough ask last night. Celtics demolition of Hibs at the weekend really shouldnt have had any of our fans unaware of the scale of the task.

For what its worth, I actually thought we gave a decent account of ourselves in the first half. Yes we rode our luck at times and Celtic passed up several good opportunities to score. But we stuck to our gameplan, had some nice phases of possession and got ourselves into some dangerous positions. With a little more luck/quality we might have nicked one, and at that point you can start to think it could be your night.

Losing the goal just before half time was a sore one given how much effort had gone into the performance at that point and the number of chances we had to clear it, but you cant argue Celtic didnt deserve it.

Second half I thought we came out the traps quickly and were still posing them problems, but the second goal kills the game.  After that the heads visibly went down.

4-0 certainly didnt flatter Celtic, but it shouldnt embarrass us either. If we stick to what we are doing we will pick up more than enough points over the season against those around us to be comfortably safe.

7 hours ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Was a great performance at Ibrox and one of best nights I’ve had at a football game. Suppose you weren’t there.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 6:47 AM, wellsince75 said:

Our level = most of teams in premier . Kilmarnock, county , st mirren .

I don’t expect us to take many points of the old firm , hearts .

in short I expect us to compete with teams of similar stature and finances . Occasionally we’ll take point of bigger clubs but I’m not going to get upset when we struggle against the old firm  

I don't expect us to beat Rangers or Celtic but I certainly expect us not to continually be embarrassed by them. Dundee managed to go to Ibrox in the cup and lose by the odd goal.  Ok Rangers rested players but still fielded Tavernier, King, Lundstrom, Davis, Tillman, Morelos.  

6 hours ago, ppower said:

I don't expect us to beat Rangers or Celtic but I certainly expect us not to continually be embarrassed by them. Dundee managed to go to Ibrox in the cup and lose by the odd goal.  Ok Rangers rested players but still fielded Tavernier, King, Lundstrom, Davis, Tillman, Morelos.  

Rangers never embarrassed us last week, they scraped a win mainly due to shocking  defending by us basically gifting them 2 goals. I know it been nearly 20 years since we beat them in the league, but very rarely  are we outclassed by them, the last embarrassing pumping in that fixture was for them in the playoff final a few years back. 

The green uglies are a very different prospect they have the potential to embarras teams on a regular basis, last Wednesday night being one of them

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

Rangers never embarrassed us last week, they scraped a win mainly due to shocking  defending by us basically gifting them 2 goals. I know it been nearly 20 years since we beat them in the league, but very rarely  are we outclassed by them, the last embarrassing pumping in that fixture was for them in the playoff final a few years back. 

The green uglies are a very different prospect they have the potential to embarras teams on a regular basis, last Wednesday night being one of them

They already embarrassed Rangers and Hibs and United 

7 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

I know it been nearly 20 years since we beat them in the league, but very rarely  are we outclassed by them, the last embarrassing pumping in that fixture was for them in the playoff final a few years back. 

That’s what is so frustrating about our record against Rangers in the league in the last 20 years, they have rarely embarrassed us by beating us playing fast flowing football and scoring great goals.

There have been the odd exception, especially under McCall, but games against Rangers particularly at Fir Park tend to be tight, scrappy affairs where we shoot ourselves in the foot losing preventable goals, missing good chances, refereeing decisions going against us and every single break of the ball in either box falling for them.

2 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

That’s what is so frustrating about our record against Rangers in the league in the last 20 years, they have rarely embarrassed us by beating us playing fast flowing football and scoring great goals.

There have been the odd exception, especially under McCall, but games against Rangers particularly at Fir Park tend to be tight, scrappy affairs where we shoot ourselves in the foot losing preventable goals, missing good chances, refereeing decisions going against us and every single break of the ball in either box falling for them.

I know its a sweeping generalisation, but Rangers have always played differently to their equally bigoted counterparts.  Their play is usually characterised by physicality, athleticism, hard work and pace.  Most of our teams haven't been able to match them in that regard. Both sides are quite capable of  playing physical and/or long ball football when its suits them, and they're better at it than most domestic opponents. 

On 10/20/2022 at 2:06 PM, Great Balls of Shire said:

A very poor Rangers team that had humiliated us at Ibrox in the league cup the season before under McCall. I could not believe his (McCalls) talk before that game about us having to be at our best and them having an off night to get a result. We duly got thumped 3-0 from memory.

I genuinely believe that Baraclough was the only manager we have had over the last 20 years that could have got us that result in the playoff. He brought a fresh mindset when we needed it most.

Craig Brown, Alex McLeish, Mark McGhee, Stuart McCall etc would all have had us beat before a ball was kicked. It's the Scottish football way.

We owe Baraclough a debt of gratitude that some Motherwell fans seem to lack the good grace to give him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

I know its a sweeping generalisation, but Rangers have always played differently to their equally bigoted counterparts.  Their play is usually characterised by physicality, athleticism, hard work and pace.  Most of our teams haven't been able to match them in that regard. Both sides are quite capable of  playing physical and/or long ball football when its suits them, and they're better at it than most domestic opponents. 

Yes that’s true but it’s still been the case that games against Rangers especially at Fir Park always seem to follow that frustrating pattern of self inflicted errors, missed chances and zero luck on our part.

Indeed we wouldn’t even be talking about going 20 years without beating them if two home games in the 09/10 season had gone our way way which they should have. Jim O’Brien took an awful penalty at 0-0 in the dying minutes of the first one and in the second FP game that season we were 1-0 up, comfortable and then are robbed of a perfectly legitimate second goal by a ridiculously bad offside decision and then Mark Reynolds sold the jerseys with ten minutes to go and it ends 1-1. Even two season ago in the 1-1 draw shortly after Alexander took over their equaliser was offside but it stood. That’s what I mean, nothing seems to go for us in that fixture.

(btw the 2012 League Cup debacle finished 2-0, not 3-0 but it was still an embarrassment nonetheless).