Motherwell v Aberdeen 22/10/2022

SteelmaninOZ

1 minute ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

We need a formation to get the best out of the better players , Slattery, Goss...someone with some dig cos they aren't physical enough.Spiittal hasn't done enough so far for me , but are we playing him in right position?

I am done with Slattery would get shot of that big time charlie tomorrow and replace him with any player that understands the concept of tackling,putting a foot in,taking one for the team.

Just now, Spit_It_Out said:

I am done with Slattery would get shot of that big time charlie tomorrow and replace him with any player that understands the concept of tackling,putting a foot in,taking one for the team.

I get what you're saying, he isn't a great athlete tbf, maybe why he hasn't gone further...goals from the middle of park would be good too. 

If vv is squaring up to players too, he needs someone to put him in his place, that puts some guys into their shell, he's really not in a position to be criticising , 1 good game in 6

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Don't blame Hammell, he was put in a terrible position.  No one else wanted the job and that's why he's there. 

And forget about managers, formations, line ups.  This is a squad of footballers who, for the most part, cannot pass a ball and have next to no game intelligence in terms of moving into space or releasing the ball.  That's all the analysis you need.  Essentially they don't have the basics skills to play 'on the carpet'.

Alexander's 'eye bleed' football might not have been great to watch but it maximised what we had as points over a season.

Now we are trying to play football and giving the ball away, again and again because we literally can't play the way fans want to see the game played.

Yet again we had just over 4,000 home supporters at the match.  We are self financing.  We simply do not have the financial power to bring in quality footballers.  There are 3rd or 4th tiers of football that have more money than us.  That's the brutal truth.

Alexander's way was deemed unacceptable by our support.  So what's the realistic alternative? 

As I've said for some time there I think there is a real disconnect between where we are as a club and where some of our supporters think we should be.  That's an enormous danger because it's delusions that bring the great downfalls.

I would much rather see us play eye bleeding football and get a point or three than play well and get nothing. We needed an experienced manager to get us out of this mess and Hammell isn't it. I said when he was appointed I thought he was the wrong appointment. Some experience as an assistant and then stepping up would have been better for him 

I actually feel sorry for fans who bought season tickets this season thinking there was going to be an immediate improvement

I spent most of last week on Facebook being ordered to give Hammell my backing. Even people who were singing his praises a few weeks ago on Facebook are saying otherwise now. I'm not suggesting for one minute that he should go right now. There's no way we could afford to pay off two managers in one year either

Unfortunately we are now back to the days where other teams know how to play us and know they are going to take 3 points off us

Feel the frustrations of not getting the results our play deserved against DU and Hearts really took the wind out of our sails going into a tough run of games.

Dingwall aside, we’ve lacked a lot of belief since those games. Granted we’ve played the OF three times in two weeks which will always be difficult but you can see the lack of belief the players have in themselves.

Long season ahead I fear as more than a few seem to have chucked it.

8 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

We need a formation to get the best out of the better players , Slattery, Goss...someone with some dig cos they aren't physical enough.Spiittal hasn't done enough so far for me , but are we playing him in right position?

When you can’t run, hide behind the opposition player when we are in attack , don’t jump for headers , can’t tackle and can’t pass the ball back to your team mate 6 yards away when he’s thrown it to you the only position for spittal at best is on the bench for the reserves . What a waste of a shirt - past two games his effort has been a disgrace . A waste of a wage and waste of a shirt 

When Alexander left did we actually make a serious effort to find a replacement from outside the club and it was simply a case of no one being available or interested? Or did we simply take the lazy, easy option and give it to Hammell?

And let me be as clear as I possibly can be here, I am not for one second suggesting that Hammell should go and he continues to have my full support and will do for the remainder of this season. He was given an almost impossible task taking this job on. 

18 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

If Slattery and Goss are our better players then we are bigger trouble than I thought . They two along wae Spittal are dug shite 

2 minutes ago, Yodo said:

If Slattery and Goss are our better players then we are bigger trouble than I thought . They two along wae Spittal are dug shite 

I know u like to be a contrary sort, but u must see the two of them are good technical footballers , whether they are physical enough for spfl is another matter and being physical is mega  important in this league 

6 minutes ago, Yodo said:

I see you are still spouting shite, but for the benefit of discussion who would you replace them  with from the current squad?

6 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Also I've been critical of sod in the past, but is he any worse or better than mcginn? Maybe cos he's no played for a while he's got better in my mind 

I said at the time when we signed mcginn that it would only make sense if odonnell was leaving.dont get me wrong I think mcginn has been a decent enough signing but as players they couldn't be any similar in terms of ability and were most likely paying them both good money to have one of them sitting on the bench.i would personally change to 3 at the back and move mcginn inside and have odonnell at right wing back,we need to find a way of making ourselves harder to beat,we are shooting ourselves in the foot on a weekly basis with the standard of goals were giving away.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I see you are still spouting shite, but for the benefit of discussion who would you replace them  with from the current squad?

Not as much shite as u if u think Slattery Goss and Spittal have performed well in the last 3 games then your seat must facing away the park . SH needs to give youth a chance so any midfield players from the Acadamey deserve a chance 

Another chance missed today, 3 points dropped to a very poor Aberdeen team, who in all honesty were as bad as us,  but a different class when it came to time wasting, going down at every opportunity,  conning the referee, even Goodwin was at it grabbing McGinns shirt when he was taking a throw in, and don't get me started on that diving wee shite Duk.

Some of our play was excellent today, especially 2nd half and we really should have went in front, KVV missed a sitter, but a blind man can see where our issues are, we create nothing, no threat at all, SH took a punt on Moult and Aarons and its failed, for me both of them are done and I reckon we won't see either of them play this season.

So we need to try to pick it as many points as we can before January and hope then we can get at least another 2 goalscorers in the transfer window.

This year is a repeat of last season, 10 teams beating each other and dropping points all the time, think its 1 win in 7 for us but we are still only 6 points off 3rd and 4 off 12th, so no need for any pant wetting just yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thinking we are going to be in for a long long season

Fully behind Stevie Hammell, he was put in this position and I believe will do the job to the best of his ability, and really hope he succeeds. 

I do believe there is a major rebuilding job required though 

• Like 1

Confidence and lack of is often the difference.

under GA we got off to a good start last season , got confident and had a good streak . We were then brutal for a long series of games and rightly he left the club .

Hammell came in late in pre season when majority of teams already have their squads sorted . He brought in a few positive signings and got the team playing well .

we gained confidence and picked up points against the the lower half teams .

we’ve lost confidence playing the better , top half teams . No surprise . 

we need to dig in and pick up results , more so when we play teams of similar budget and stature .

Personal view is too many people expect us to outperform our salary and cost base . Anything above 10th this season is ok for me . It’s not the long term ask but for now it’s realistic .

Hammell needs a few years and a few transfer windows . Patience and tolerance is required 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steelman1991 said:

FFS who said he needed to be prolific, or it was KVV to blame. Comment was made that we couldn't rely on one striker to "do everything". Well we sure as hell should expect him to do what he's paid to do from 6 yards. He was presented with a glorious chance 6 yards out and couldn't take it.

Yes. And week after week we expect defenders to be able to defend. It's those frauds that are costing us goal. And his many times is Kelly going to kick for touch.  FFS somebody tell him it's not rugby we are playing. If the defending was better we might be able to grind out draws. Until that changes we will lose game after game. All the teams know we only have a goal a game in us and that as sure as fuck we will concede sloppy goal. Get a schoolboy team to beat us. 

16 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Another chance missed today, 3 points dropped to a very poor Aberdeen team, who in all honesty were as bad as us,  but a different class when it came to time wasting, going down at every opportunity,  conning the referee, even Goodwin was at it grabbing McGinns shirt when he was taking a throw in, and don't get me started on that diving wee shite Duk.

Some of our play was excellent today, especially 2nd half and we really should have went in front, KVV missed a sitter, but a blind man can see where our issue are, we create nothing, no threat at all, SH took a punt on Moult and Aarons and its failed, for me both of them are done and I reckon we won't see either of them play this season.

So we need to try to pick it as many points as we can before January and hope then we can get at least another 2 goalscorers in the transfer window.

His year is a repeat of last season, 10 teams beating each other and dropping points all the time, think its 1 win in 7 for us but we are still only 6 points off 3rd and 4 off 12th, so no need for any pant wetting just yet.

Where are we going to get in TWO proven goalscorers from ,with our budget and the rest of Scotland and three leagues in England as competition to sign them.  The manager must gamble with signings it’s the only way. But he can’t say with hindsight he shouldn’t have signed certain ones, he needs to make the best of it. Most were happy with gamble on Moult at the time  as an example . Anyone can change their mind at at on a forum but manager has to stick by his decisions in the real world.

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Don't blame Hammell, he was put in a terrible position.  No one else wanted the job and that's why he's there. 

And forget about managers, formations, line ups.  This is a squad of footballers who, for the most part, cannot pass a ball and have next to no game intelligence in terms of moving into space or releasing the ball.  That's all the analysis you need.  Essentially they don't have the basics skills to play 'on the carpet'.

Alexander's 'eye bleed' football might not have been great to watch but it maximised what we had as points over a season.

Now we are trying to play football and giving the ball away, again and again because we literally can't play the way fans want to see the game played.

Yet again we had just over 4,000 home supporters at the match.  We are self financing.  We simply do not have the financial power to bring in quality footballers.  There are 3rd or 4th tiers of football that have more money than us.  That's the brutal truth.

Alexander's way was deemed unacceptable by our support.  So what's the realistic alternative? 

As I've said for some time there I think there is a real disconnect between where we are as a club and where some of our supporters think we should be.  That's an enormous danger because it's delusions that bring the great downfalls.

Total rubbish. St Mirren is full of FP cast offs and can compete and beat Celtic and won today. Livingstone go to Ibrox and get a point. They don't have any more money than us.  The simple fact is we have appointed a rookie manager who is not up to it. It ain't rocket science.  And just how do you know no one else wanted the job. Were you there at the interviews. I really love reading your self important know it all posts. Gives me a good laugh and we all need that at times 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

To be fair he was not forced to apply for the position. Hammell is in exactly the same position as the last four managers have been, taking charge of a struggling team in a poor position with supporters stating the squad were rubbish. He was obviously fully aware that his job was to turn that around on a limited budget as Robinson and Alexander did, I don’t believe this squad is any worse than those inherited by those previous managers. I’m afraid he will be judged on results and will be blamed if we drop into the bottom two, that’s just the way football has always been. He won’t get two years to build his own squad if we’re in danger of relegation and will have to work with the majority of this squad while in charge given some of the contracts, January is not going to see a massive change in personnel. It’s going to be tough, and yes it’s harsh but it’s the reality of where we are in the pecking order.

1 hour ago, Yodo said:

Not as much shite as u if u think Slattery Goss and Spittal have performed well in the last 3 games then your seat must facing away the park . SH needs to give youth a chance so any midfield players from the Acadamey deserve a chance 

So drop experienced players and bring in academy players with no 1st team experience very little game time and probably not ready to step up, aye OK then that will sort us out, give SH a call and pass on your wisdom. You really are a fud.

• Haha 1