Dundee United v Motherwell 29/10/2022

SteelmaninOZ

Another game that’s very winnable, this is a poor Dundee United team, however I fear with the goals we’re conceding another defeat could be on the cards. Hopefully we had some home truths in training with everyone  understanding their job on the day because we certainly have enough in the squad to beat this Dundee United team with anything like a competent performance.

13 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Based on both teams season so far ,Is that honestly the ONLY thing you can see? you need to change your drugs

We struggle to score goals, our defence is weak and we don’t have the best records at Tannadice. I have seen enough of us this season to know that a loss here is the most likely outcome.

I’ve not seen a great deal of Dundee Utd but unlike us they have players who can create and take chances. Watt, Fletcher and McGrath would walk into our team and improve it instantly. They scudded Aberdeen (who deservedly beat us at home two days ago) 4-0 a couple of weeks back.

You don’t need to be on drugs to foresee a home win on Saturday.

11 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

We struggle to score goals, our defence is weak and we don’t have the best records at Tannadice. I have seen enough of us this season to know that a loss here is the most likely outcome.

I’ve not seen a great deal of Dundee Utd but unlike us they have players who can create and take chances. Watt, Fletcher and McGrath would walk into our team and improve it instantly. They scudded Aberdeen (who deservedly beat us at home two days ago) 4-0 a couple of weeks back.

You don’t need to be on drugs to foresee a home win on Saturday.

Possibly but 4/1?

Same as Saturday, a lot will depend on personnel available. Getting Efford back would be a help purely because of his pace. It forces opposing teams to defend that little bit deeper and gives us more space to play. Not really seen enough of Dundee United to know how they are going to line up, but hopefully Stevie Hammell has learned a lesson and will be prepared to change it quickly if Dundee United change formation to stop the way we play. Its a winnable game, but we need to be at it and cut out the self inflicted stuff to have any real chance.

I don't understand the level of pessimism , recent games have been against Old Firm, Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs.  We won the game convincingly against RC. 

I don't think it's a stroll in the park, expect an evenly matched game and the odd goal either way likely to win it for either team. 

Be lovely to pick up 3 points and give us all something to cheer about. 

2 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

I don't understand the level of pessimism , recent games have been against Old Firm, Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs.  We won the game convincingly against RC. 

I don't think it's a stroll in the park, expect an evenly matched game and the odd goal either way likely to win it for either team. 

Hopefully the pessimism is unfounded and we see a good performance.

We need to get our finger oot!!!!!!!

I feel for SH as its been and will be a horrible run of fixtures but the losses are racking up and the team seems to have lost confidence.

We 100% need at least 1 centre half, a fightin midfielder and a forward.

Im gutted to say, Moult appears to be a waste of a squad number as does Aarons and we shld get rid of some deadwood in January.

30 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

It’s not just the results that are giving cause for concern, it’s the level of performances in the last several games that’s the worry. Our ball use is dreadful, we look slow, we aren’t creating enough chances and at the other end we are conceding cheap goals.

Our best performance this season, certainly at home, was against Utd at the start of September where we actually did create chances and more or less did everything right except put the ball in the net. We’ve not seen that since, especially at Fir Park and even the first half of the 5-0 win at Ross County was pretty poor and we didn’t really start ‘clicking’ until the second goal went in.

There’s no arguing we are in a horrible run of fixtures against the city clubs and we’ve also had our injury issues in that same time, but the performances have been worrying.

1 hour ago, MJC_mkII said:

It’s not just the results that are giving cause for concern, it’s the level of performances in the last several games that’s the worry. Our ball use is dreadful, we look slow, we aren’t creating enough chances and at the other end we are conceding cheap goals.

Our best performance this season, certainly at home, was against Utd at the start of September where we actually did create chances and more or less did everything right except put the ball in the net. We’ve not seen that since, especially at Fir Park and even the first half of the 5-0 win at Ross County was pretty poor and we didn’t really start ‘clicking’ until the second goal went in.

There’s no arguing we are in a horrible run of fixtures against the city clubs and we’ve also had our injury issues in that same time, but the performances have been worrying.

The performances are only worrying if you dont put any context around them and only look at the balance sheet.

Since the Dundee United game you highlighted we have played the following in the league......

Hearts (H) 0-3 - vibrant attacking performance, created a bucketload of chances and got picked off on the break. Hit the woodwork 3 times and Craig Gordon pulled off numerous saves. Should have won the game. Got mugged.

Celtic (A) 1-2 - gave a good account of ourselves at a difficult venue against a very good Celtic side. Unlucky not to nick a point.

Ross County (A) 0-5 - tight first half with little quality on show by either side. Dominated the 2nd half played some good football and scored 5.

Hibs (A) 1-0 - tight game at another difficult venue against a side with far superior resources. Denied a stone wall penalty which VAR would have given and continued to threaten even at 1-0 and a man down.

Rangers (H) 1-2 - Another tight game against opposition with far greater resources. Well in the game first half before we shot ourselves in the foot twice before regrouping and getting a goal back. Rangers hanging on at the end. Poor quality in final third prevents us ffom getting anything from the game.

Aberdeen (H) 1-2 - Another tight game against opposition with far superior resources ( you might see a pattern here).  Poorest first half performance out of all the above. Changes made at the break, dominate 2nd half, score a good goal then shoot ourselves in the foot again before continuing to press for an equaliser. Denied a stone wall penalty and VAR inexplicably fails to intervene.

Im happy to accept our performance levels have dropped off in the last few games, but if you look at the opposition, our injuries and suspensions, there are more than enough mitigating factors. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, El Grew said:

Our league record at Tannadice doesn’t make for happy reading:

P95  W18  L43  D34  GF95  GA159

An 19% win rate and a -64 goal difference! Ugh!

Stats, all irrelevant drivel the only one that matters is the final score at 5:45pm on Saturday telling us we scored more goals than Untd, coyw.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

Wouldn’t surprise me.

Dundee United have been worse than us so far so why you can predict such a tanking is beyond reason. We lost 4-0 at home to Celtic, I believe United shipped 7 to them. 4-1 is nonsense! I am not saying we wont lose but come on lighten up.

1 hour ago, Stevie73 said:

Going to be a really tough game with confidence at an all time low, think we need a massive transfer window, CB, defo 1 Midfielder maybe two and 100 % two attacking options to gee up KVV.

Yes it'll be a tough game- aren't they all? Largely agree about what we need but I'd add another CB to your shopping list and possibly a winger also.

2 hours ago, Winning by Name said:

Dundee United have been worse than us so far so why you can predict such a tanking is beyond reason. We lost 4-0 at home to Celtic, I believe United shipped 7 to them. 4-1 is nonsense! I am not saying we wont lose but come on lighten up.

And as I said they also beat Aberdeen 4-0 at home whereas we just lost 1-2 to the Dons at home the other day. 

We might not lose 4-1 but I don’t see us doing anything other than losing on Saturday, especially if we are still minus our injuries which I believe we  will be.

At the end of the day a defeat is a defeat and it doesn’t matter if we lose 4-1 or 1-0, the end result is no points for us yet again.