Motherwell v Kilmarnock 23/12/2022

SteelmaninOZ

Have waited to post as was too angry last night . Our inability to play v 10 men is an absolute farce and psychologically I fear for us . We could have opened up 5pt cushion against a piss poor Killie team for first 70 mins. 

1st goal was like watching an under 8's side and biggest surprise about 2nd goal was where Polworth discovered that pace for the celebration, showed none of that for us.

We need change of formation and we badly need someone up front. I have been critical of KVV recently but he was better last night but I am sorry and I know he's an easy target but Shields is never going to improve, that's 18 months now and just not good enough in my opinion.

We need 4 in midfield, Spittal fitness and lack of pace a concern and we need Cornelius's energy in there.   Transfer window massive or I genuinely feel we could be ending our 37 year stay in top flight.  COYW

2 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

If you need it explained perhaps it ain’t the game for you.

They are set up as wide attacking players (not wingers, that’s a golden age long passed some by) as part of a 4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1 depending on passage of play or ‘transitions’ as the split arses called it during World Cup coverage.

Playing with 2 traditional no. 6 types in Goss & Slattery doesn’t align with any 4-3-3 I’m afraid…

Whit a load of pish ……… are you honestly saying that we played 5 in midfield last night ???

Be it 2-3-1 or 5-1 that not how that team was set up last night and if you think it was it’s time you went to specsavers 

19 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Have waited to post as was too angry last night . Our inability to play v 10 men is an absolute farce and psychologically I fear for us . We could have opened up 5pt cushion against a piss poor Killie team for first 70 mins. 

1st goal was like watching an under 8's side and biggest surprise about 2nd goal was where Polworth discovered that pace for the celebration, showed none of that for us.

We need change of formation and we badly need someone up front. I have been critical of KVV recently but he was better last night but I am sorry and I know he's an easy target but Shields is never going to improve, that's 18 months now and just not good enough in my opinion.

We need 4 in midfield, Spittal fitness and lack of pace a concern and we need Cornelius's energy in there.   Transfer window massive or I genuinely feel we could be ending our 37 year stay in top flight.  COYW

Shields is crap; he offers worse than nothing, but my concern is with Hammell as he keeps picking him. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Whit a load of pish ……… are you honestly saying that we played 5 in midfield last night ???

Be it 2-3-1 or 5-1 that not how that team was set up last night and if you think it was it’s time you went to specsavers 

🤣 Prove me wrong? When you set up 4-2-3-1 as we do it revers to 4-5-1 when defending or it should. It’s not difficult.

it’s exactly how the team has set up for months now, choose to believe it or not. As for you Specsaver’s quip… bit juvenile, but, given your grasp on the argument it’s to be expected.

Go on, make my day, I’ll have money on you rating Spittal and McGinn.

4 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Shields is crap; he offers worse than nothing, but my concern is with Hammell as he keeps picking him. 

Aye he's absolutely shite,we simply have to find a right winger from somewhere in january,it's like playing with 10 men every week with him in the team,we can't go the next half of the season playing him,enough is enough.

12 minutes ago, mfc said:

Aye he's absolutely shite,we simply have to find a right winger from somewhere in january,it's like playing with 10 men every week with him in the team,we can't go the next half of the season playing him,enough is enough.

I never though I'd see the day where I found myself praying for Efford to return from injury to show Shields how to attack the right wing, beat a man, and cross the ball. 

St.Mirren beating Aberdeen and Hibs currently cruising against Livi sees both of them open up a bit of a gap on the bottom four. And Dundee Utd are level with Hearts at half time which if it stays the same would see them move to within five points of us at the bottom, albeit with a much worse goal difference.

Its all getting very edgy.

51 minutes ago, MJC said:

St.Mirren beating Aberdeen and Hibs currently cruising against Livi sees both of them open up a bit of a gap on the bottom four. And Dundee Utd are level with Hearts at half time which if it stays the same would see them move to within five points of us at the bottom, albeit with a much worse goal difference.

Its all getting very edgy.

yip - we're getting dragged into it. We need a run of 2-3 games picking up wins.

Not often I've cheered on Hearts but very glad to see the 94th minute equaliser today. 

3 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

yip - we're getting dragged into it. We need a run of 2-3 games picking up wins.

Not often I've cheered on Hearts but very glad to see the 94th minute equaliser today. 

Justice was done for Hearts with that last minute penalty. They were awarded one at the end of the first half and VAR somehow found something wrong with it so United and their fans booing and whinging about the late award need to just suck it up. 

Not great results for us today but Hearts last gasp leveller certainly helps our cause.

54 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

Probably a wee bit controversial especially from me, but I am of the opinion a wee rest on the bench might do Kelly the world of good. His organisation and kicking has been poor and his positioning has been suspect for a few weeks. It's just a personal view but I prefer my goalies to be 6ft plus, be good shot stoppers and command his area, especially at corners. So bring in Oxborough and see if it changes our luck, it can't be any worse. Oh and Merry Christmas to everyone. 

Here what you are saying but there are much larger problems than goalkeeping area . Centre defence, midfield and forwards need sorted first 

39 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Here what you are saying but there are much larger problems than goalkeeping area . Centre defence, midfield and forwards need sorted first 

Yep, we need a whole new spine to the the team, which isn’t a problem easily solved in a January window. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

Agreed, but a Goalkeeper that comnands his box and comes and takes crosses etc, breeds confidence in the defence, knowing that every high ball into the box the keeper will claim it, not like Kelly who is rooted to his line due to his height deficiency. 

It never did Andy Goram any harm, or McGregor for that matter.

I would prefer a keeper who could command his area but its not essential as long as the defence know he isnt coming and are capable of dealing with it.

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

It never did Andy Goram any harm, or McGregor for that matter.

I would prefer a keeper who could command his area but its not essential as long as the defence know he isnt coming and are capable of dealing with it.

Yes but Andy Goram admitted this deficiency in his game. He said that he had full confidence in the huge defenders in front of him  who were specially selected because of their stature  and aerial ability. If by any chance they lost a header he was confident he had the reflexes to beat the ball out. We don't have central defenders in that category, I think.

12 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Total tangent and last night result disappointing but can I wish all you wonderful people a very merry Christmas 

I just hope mrs g has got a new joke book wrapped under the tree for you grizzly😄,have a good one mate and same to all my fellow well fans.

4 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Yes but Andy Goram admitted this deficiency in his game. He said that he had full confidence in the huge defenders in front of him  who were specially selected because of their stature  and aerial ability. If by any chance they lost a header he was confident he had the reflexes to beat the ball out. We don't have central defenders in that category, I think.

Precisely my point......

It's honestly amazing the amount of points we have thrown away this season. I know we dug out the win against Dundee United with ten men but it's so frustrating seeing the side falter to the likes of Hearts and Killie when we were in a favourable position. Killie were perhaps one of the poorest sides I had seen visit Fir Park in many years and when Power saw red it felt like a massive relief to get those three precious points in the bag, potentially five points clear with a game in hand but how did we manage to blow that as they never got a sniff with 11 men on the field. The Polworth strike reminded me of one Eric Deloumeaux, the guy never had a hint of that in his locker with us and would go on to score a few corkers against us.