Aberdeen v Motherwell 04/02/2023

SteelmaninOZ

It’s been obvious for quite a while now that Hammell is completely out of his depth.

Bringing in 9 players in the last transfer window of the season is just sheer panic. I doubt that any club has ever brought in as many players as that in an entire season!

As for those “running” the club, it’s been obvious since they punted Alexander that they too were out of their depth. They should’ve been questioning Hammell as to why he thought it necessary to bring in as many players at this stage of the season, but they just let him plough on.

For me, today was the final straw. I thought it was bad against St. Johnstone, and it was but Hammell’s reading and management of today’s game was just embarrassing. Making 6 subs albeit one for an injury, with 20 mins to play, shows just how lost he really is.

He made 3 subs after 10 mins of the 2nd half going from 2 up to 1 up when we were 1-0 down and the performance deteriorated as the players didn’t seem to understand what he was trying to do. Thereafter, it just descended into farce and it was obvious, to me anyway, that the team had switched off.

Sure all the stats show we are bad; however for me, the true indictment on Hammell is that there’s been absolutely no discernible improvement in the team’s performance under his tenure - not even small incremental ones - and sadly, there is nothing there to suggest that this is going to change.

If Hammell can’t see that, perhaps because he’s too close to the coal face, then the board must step in, point this out to him and remove him.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, El Grew said:

It’s been obvious for quite a while now that Hammell is completely out of his depth.

Bringing in 9 players in the last transfer window of the season is just sheer panic. I doubt that any club has ever brought in as many players as that in an entire season!

As for those “running” the club, it’s been obvious since they punted Alexander that they too were out of their depth. They should’ve been questioning Hammell as to why he thought it necessary to bring in as many players at this stage of the season, but they just let him plough on.

For me, today was the final straw. I thought it was bad against St. Johnstone, and it was but Hammell’s reading and management of today’s game was just embarrassing. Making 6 subs albeit one for an injury, with 20 mins to play, shows just how lost he really is.

He made 3 subs after 10 mins of the 2nd half going from 2 up to 1 up when we were 1-0 down and the performance deteriorated as the players didn’t seem to understand what he was trying to do. Thereafter, it just descended into farce and it was obvious, to me anyway, that the team had switched off.

Sure all the stats show we are bad; however for me, the true indictment on Hammell is that there’s been absolutely no discernible improvement in the team’s performance under his tenure - not even small incremental ones - and sadly, there is nothing there to suggest that this is going to change.

If Hammell can’t see that, perhaps because he’s too close to the coal face, then the board must step in, point this out to him and remove him.

Good post,  the initial injection of hope, entertaining football wore off months ago.

Sad reality is we're getting steadily worse.  Regressing from a team who were entertaining , having +20 shots per game . Narrow wins/losses to one of meh. 

No pressing.
No defending.
Hopeless on the park and also have a CEO on his way out.  

Hard to envision anything else than relegation. 

Hammell fielded his two new strikers, Obika and Aitchison and left them completely isolated.

In the 2nd half he threw on Van Veen and McKinstry - arguably two of our best players but there was no improvement.

There was no cohesion, no discernible style of play and no creativity and the only positive is that the other 3 sides around us all lost.

1 hour ago, El Grew said:

Ross County basically swapped their whole squad round at the January window a few years back.

Our defensive record is absolutely atrocious.  Last time I counted we'd lost 10 games by 1 goal and have 5 draws so if we'd done better defensively we'd be in a much better position.  

1 clean sheet in 15 matches says it all.  Our players go on to the field knowing they have to score two goals to even have a chance of a win.

Our last four results are 1-1, 0-1, 0-2, 1-3 so they are progressively getting worse.

Also a bit worrying that we've played 3 different formations in the last 4 matches for no positive effect.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

The boards silence speaks volumes they have gave up the ghost clearly not watching what every one else is watching.

The board are fully to blame for this mess and they didn't have the balls after the St Johnstone game to to the right thing.

I don’t know about that. I sit in the main stand and in the last few weeks I have seen both Burrows and McMahon go downstairs with 15 minutes or so left on the clock, each time looking pissed. I think they know full well we are fucked and hoping for a miracle turnaround. It won’t come unless we sack the uninspiring Hammell. 

19 minutes ago, Inflato said:

The club has been run by enthusiastic amateurs for years. This now includes the manager.

Enthusiasm over ability has been leading us here for some time now, and I can't see how we get out of it either at a managerial or board level.

Agree with that. Ok for bowling club but not for pro football teams. Love to have a Soudi Billionaire well fan.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

Hope everyone took my advice, Aberdeen even money, what financial crisis, heating on full bung the night, cheers Stevie. 

For the cup game Raith Rovers 5/2. Motherwell even money. Raith unbeaten in last 10 matches. Last time they lost was the 3rd December.

On 2/3/2023 at 4:08 PM, Robbos boy said:

Sorry but KVV doesn't need bench time, he needs support, the manager hinted at2 up front, then Mandron got injured. So on Wednesday played him up front with no support, plus Kelly firing missiles to 3 Giant centre backs. When Obeka came on was the same, no support, just high balls launched. Give the man support and he will either score or set up one. But ir must be soul destroying getting no support. 

And what did he do. Drop the most creative player we have. Twice now. It's no coincidence that we've hardly had a shot not on target but any shot since McKinstry got left out.