Motherwell v St Mirren 16/02/2023

SteelmaninOZ

6 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

We were on a hiding to nothing there. In Partick's absence, St Mirren are media darlings in the Premiership.

Spot on Dave, St. Mirren were brutal tonight, kicked it long, chase and run all night  but nobody will report that they never looked like scoring  2nd half

Was a good performance tonight. I was very skeptical about the line up when I first seen it and the players to a man tonight stood up to be counted. I thought both our goals were fantastic. I thought we dealt with almost everything we were asked to. If one wanted to be picky we could have dealt with their goal better but these things are going to happen and heads didn’t go down which was a big plus.

A nice feeling, getting 3 points at Fir Park. Kelly had very little to do, the back three were solid most of the match and the midfield did a bit more work than usual. A couple of nice goals. Very impressed by Aitchison for the short time that he was on. KvV looked interested again. A decent night's work. Well done to the players and coaching staff.

52 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

Who actually cares? 3 points is 3 points. There was no Hammell manager bounce was there? Apart from one big win over county. 

Should I check with you before I post in future? Fuck sake.

I was replying about why I thought the same players put in a better performance than the last game. It was very clear that we simplified our tactics (something the manager literally said), and we definitely had that bit extra that you get when playing for a new manager, just like hammell did in his first game, where we won after the Sligo debacle. He also won two of the three games after that, so I'd say hammell definitely had that "new manager bounce". 

Then I said that st mirren aren't all they're cracked up to be, meaning that we hardly needed to put in the performance of the century to get the points. Of all the shite that gets posted on here, that was a weird one to call someone out on.

31 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Spot on Dave, St. Mirren were brutal tonight, kicked it long, chase and run all night  but nobody will report that they never looked like scoring  2nd half

St mirren are having a good season by their standards, but you'd think they were legit challenging for third with some of the coverage they get.

The reality is the teams from 4th to 12th are about the same, with the teams at the top end one or two injuries or bad decisions away from freefall. 

Goss and Spittal were excellent today, which is nice, as they have been nowhere near as bad as folk like to make out.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Massive 3 points tonight. The performance wasnt perfect, but it gives us something solid to build on.

There looked like solid structure and shape and everyone seemed to know their job. 

The workrate was much improved even from KVV, who I have been critical of in recent weeks. Tonight showed what he is capable of when his head is in the right place.

Didnt think there were any failures tonight, everyone put in a shift.

Yes mistakes were made (particularly at their goal) and most of our players have their weaknesses but everyone contributed something.

Its feels good to get a win. Its been a while........

35 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Do you know what’s funny, the challenge Main puts in for their first goal and their disallowed goal are pretty much identical, but because one is 40 yards out and the other is 6 yards out the referee sees them differently.

Because Beaton (and SPFL refs in general) is a self-important morons.  

10 hours ago, fizoxy said:

St mirren are having a good season by their standards, but you'd think they were legit challenging for third with some of the coverage they get.

The reality is the teams from 4th to 12th are about the same, with the teams at the top end one or two injuries or bad decisions away from freefall. 

Goss and Spittal were excellent today, which is nice, as they have been nowhere near as bad as folk like to make out.

That's a point I was trying to make earlier,

On here and FB when team announced there was a pile on on Goss, especially...there's noone else in the team can spray it about like him, his pass for second goal, a prime example.

When we aren't winning people want to have a pop at less physical players , anyway well done to the whole team 

Looked a lot more solid at back, Sunday will be stiffer , would take a point.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

That's a point I was trying to make earlier,

On here and FB when team announced there was a pile on on Goss, especially...there's noone else in the team can spray it about like him, his pass for second goal, a prime example.

When we aren't winning people want to have a pop at less physical players , anyway well done to the whole team 

Looked a lot more solid at back, Sunday will be stiffer , would take a point.

Goss added to his game last night by actually tackling and tracking runs. A team like ours can't have a midfielder who only sprays nice passes. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

The point i was making is to do with squad fitness could that be an issue and pointer to our poor form.

They did put in more effort than usual, and that is why the midfield started to fall off a cliff after about 70 mins. You have to wonder what the fuck they were doing in their previous training regime?! 

28 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Totally agree. Goss has never been a bad player but went through a dip the last 4 weeks, I assume partly due to Hammell not having a clue how to best balance the team. My general feeling from Hammell's time is that he had nae idea and was just throwing stuff at the wall to see what stuck.

We need a balance of ''footballers'' and grafters, and for the first time in ages, it actually felt like we had that last night. The team felt a lot less hole-y in general, especially thinking back to the two goals we lost against St Johnstone. 

11 minutes ago, 'WellMagic! said:

We need a balance of ''footballers'' and grafters, and for the first time in ages, it actually felt like we had that last night. The team felt a lot less hole-y in general, especially thinking back to the two goals we lost against St Johnstone. 

I didn't make the game last night but yes, it seems that we did have a better balance to the team and Kettlewell changed the formation. Whatever, it worked. The same players that we had available last Saturday.

13 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I didn't make the game last night but yes, it seems that we did have a better balance to the team and Kettlewell changed the formation. Whatever, it worked. The same players that we had available last Saturday.

It was a better balance but the old frailties are still there, after St Mirren scored we reverted to booting it long for a while missing the midfield completely.

The biggest welcome change was the attitude of the players, they challenged hard for every ball, the midfield were winning the ball and creating chances for the front two, and generally looked well up for the game. Casey and Butcher were excellent, two solid enforcers that the team has been missing.

33 minutes ago, 'WellMagic! said:

Totally agree. Goss has never been a bad player but went through a dip the last 4 weeks, I assume partly due to Hammell not having a clue how to best balance the team. My general feeling from Hammell's time is that he had nae idea and was just throwing stuff at the wall to see what stuck.

Definitely agree, and also with the last few posts about Goss. His range of passing is lovely, see his ball over the top for Johnson.  He’s excellent with the right people around him, Butcher and Cornelius type players. 

Massive win last night in so many ways. Our first home win since August, first win in the league since October and at a time when we badly needed the points to lift us out of the relegation zone. Hopefully it gives us the confidence boost going ahead.

11 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Definitely agree, and also with the last few posts about Goss. His range of passing is lovely, see his ball over the top for Johnson.  He’s excellent with the right people around him, Butcher and Cornelius type players. 

When we're used to players in the mould of Barry McGuire, the majority of the supporters demand we sign a player that can pass like Goss. However, when we get a player like Goss, everyone thinks we don't have enough Barry McGuires. 

It was also refreshing to see some in-game management from Kettlewell last night, and even Clarkson at times. A welcome relief from Hammell walking about thinking 'Oh My god' and Kerr thinking about fuck knows what.

• Like 1