Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

6 minutes ago, David said:

I don't know if sacking another backroom staff and manager is the answer. What we've seen during this window is partly due to the fact we've been handing payouts to entire backroom teams like nobody's business.

Also, if the club is being run according to what people say on internet forums, we're in more considerable trouble than anyone could imagine.

Truth is, if we can maintain 9th spot, or even 10th, it's job done. Come the summer, it could be time for a discussion about the manager, but I can't see it being before then unless we hit a significant tailspin.

For me this is exactly it.

The reason our hands are tied financially right now is because we keep sacking managers.

It has to stop somewhere. 

Folk need to accept that no manager Motherwell FC can attract will ever be perfect. They will all make mistakes, even within the limited parameters set for them.

The only thing I ask is that they learn from them and improve over time.

This season was always going to be a bit of a reset and staying in the division whilst we do that is the be all and end all.

At the moment we are still on course to do that, albeit not comfortably.

Once we get rid of the millstone round our neck we might be able to swim more freely......

Just now, joewarkfanclub said:

Once we get rid of the millstone round our neck we might be able to swim more freely......

The only fear I have is that we get rid of said millstone only to continue with our haphazard approach to transfers, except with more money to burn. 

19 minutes ago, David said:

I don't know if sacking another backroom staff and manager is the answer. What we've seen during this window is partly due to the fact we've been handing payouts to entire backroom teams like nobody's business.

Also, if the club is being run according to what people say on internet forums, we're in more considerable trouble than anyone could imagine.

Truth is, if we can maintain 9th spot, or even 10th, it's job done. Come the summer, it could be time for a discussion about the manager, but I can't see it being before then unless we hit a significant tailspin.

I don't think he’ll be sacked because we can't afford it, but he certainly won't survive in terms of earning himself a new contract with us or another top-flight club.  We’re going to limp to the end of the season because that's what the Board and he have set us up to achieve and no more. 

1 minute ago, wellfan said:

I don't think he’ll be sacked because we can't afford it, but he certainly won't survive in terms of earning himself a new contract with us or another top-flight club.  We’re going to limp to the end of the season because that's what the Board and he have set us up to achieve and no more. 

The board set out to achieve getting the club on a more stable financial footing. They told SK to trim the squad accordingly. What you are experiencing is the price of survival, due to running with bloated squads and sacking 2 managers in 6 months. The club couldnt continue to lose £1m a year and stay afloat. 

5 minutes ago, wellfan said:

The thing is, he's shown that he's got something about him as a coach. He's certainly done more with the likes of Bair than I ever thought possible, and when an individual (or coaching team) can coach a player to the point where he's defying the analytics and numbers, he's definitely got something about him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, David said:

The only fear I have is that we get rid of said millstone only to continue with our haphazard approach to transfers, except with more money to burn. 

Thats a debate for another day. Hopefully with a new CEO, Chairman and greater input from the Well Society re direction of the club we will see some improvements in areas of concern. 

5 minutes ago, David said:

The thing is, he's shown that he's got something about him as a coach. He's certainly done more with the likes of Bair than I ever thought possible, and when an individual (or coaching team) can coach a player to the point where he's defying the analytics and numbers, he's definitely got something about him.

He also improved KVV regardless of what his detractors on here say.

Just look at Kevs body language before SK and whats happened subsequently. There is no doubt he is able to connect with players and get them working for him.

See also our last minute winners and equalisers this season. Our squad are still with him despite everything thats gone on.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

The board set out to achieve getting the club on a more stable financial footing. They told SK to trim the squad accordingly. What you are experiencing is the price of survival, due to running with bloated squads and sacking 2 managers in 6 months. The club couldnt continue to lose £1m a year and stay afloat. 

5 minutes ago, David said:

Once we reset in the summer, and are back on a more stable financial footing, I sincerely hope the Club will aspire to something better than we've had under Kettlewell. 

1 minute ago, steelboy said:

Sacking Hammell was the solution. Saying we can't keep sacking managers so we'll just leave an idiot in charge and get relegated is lunacy. 

Problem with that is that we havent had a manager you liked since Ive been on here. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Sacking Hammell was the solution.

Not sacking him would have been catastrophically disastrous. We would have been relegated. There was so much wrong with his tenure both on and off the field. The huge and very costly mistake was appointing him in the first place.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Also if we don't offer him a new contract can we trust him in a relegation battle when he has no skin in the game?

He should have been sacked in December but too many people live in fantasyland. 

If we'd brought in a new manager in December, how long a contract would you have given him?

14 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Problem with that is that we havent had a manager you liked since Ive been on here. 

I liked Butcher  McGhee, Brown, McCall and Alexander. I thought Hammell started well and was positive about him than most. I didn't like Robinson but gave him credit for what he did well until his personal life caught up with him. 

Kettlewell is clearly not up to the job and as much as people want to lower the bar and drop standards it's not possible to explain away the fiasco of the past two windows. 

The bright side is that by only having three value range strikers at the club we actually can afford to pay him no bother.

Just now, steelboy said:

Kettlewell is clearly not up to the job and as much as people want to lower the bar and drop standards it's not possible to explain away the fiasco of the past two windows. 

so you believe the entire recruitment process sits squarely with the club manager? Interesting.

18 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

If we'd brought in a new manager in December, how long a contract would you have given him?

Depends on who it was. If it was someone with a track record that suggests they are a capable manager 2.5 years. 

If it's some bell end off Sportscene or a youth coach, until the end of the season.

7 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Depends on who it was. If it was someone with a track record that suggests they are a capable manager 2.5 years. 

If it's some bell end off Sportscene or a youth coach until the end of the season.

A manager with the kind of proven track record you're looking for isn't coming here. Unless it's one season wonder Thomas Courts.

55 minutes ago, David said:

I agree. There's a lot about Kettlewell I like. 

6 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Alexander, McGhee, Mcall, Gannon and Brown all had a track record.

Jim Gannon, Stuart McCall, Mark McGhee (1st spell) and Craig Brown were all pre-fan ownership when the club was different. 

We've really only had Robinson, Alexander, Hammell and Kettlewell in the current era. 

Well this is my last post on this site. 
Off to P and B to chat to people with similar thoughts. 
Would the miserable bastards on this site do us a favour and not follow suit. 
You can stay here and hate the world. 
I know plenty of people in the world like the people above and never stood about long enough to listen to their bile. 
See you in the Spl next season. 
I’ll spot you because your pants will be wringing and Kettlewell will have taken a shite on your doorstep. 
Catch the good guys later. Keep up the faith. 

5 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Alexander, McGhee, Mcall, Gannon and Brown all had a track record.

That was then, this is now, as the players we're able to attract clearly demonstrate. I honestly didn't think you'd want to bring Gannon, McGhee: Part II or Alexander into a conversation about 2.5 year deals.

Ross County fans are generally positive about his time up there in terms of his coaching ability and man management skills which I don't think we can dispute during his time here.

Getting a tune out of KVV and taking a player St Johnstone fans described as the worst player they've ever seen and turning him into something resembling a decent forward supports that view imo..

The one criticism they had of him was the standard of players he brought in who didn't exactly get their fans excited so perhaps that is his weak spot with some poor summer signings which tbf he looks like he's recognised and gone some way to remedy.

If we were to bin him at this late stage would anyone fancy the gig given the present circumstances, I don't know.

I

7 minutes ago, wunderwell said:

Well this is my last post on this site. 
Off to P and B to chat to people with similar thoughts. 

Far be it for me to defend or champion the cause of the people you're talking about, but the world would be boring if we all agreed. 

Or, it would be like a Twitter feed—an echo chamber. 

Most people here bring something to the discussion, and everyone adds value in their own way. But the call is yours to make. Hopefully, we'll see you back at some point.