Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

3 minutes ago, David said:

Far be it for me to defend or champion the cause of the people you're talking about, but the world would be boring if we all agreed. 

Or, it would be like a Twitter feed—an echo chamber. 

Most people here bring something to the discussion, and everyone adds value in their own way. But the call is yours to make. Hopefully, we'll see you back at some point.

Cheers pal, 

I like a balanced viewpoint where I think P and B will suit me

There are certainly things wrong with the club. No escaping that.

But to deal with people who can only see black is like speaking to a Tory about the qualities of say SNP or labour or vice versa. Completely deaf. 

take care and all the best David 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, David said:

I don't know if sacking another backroom staff and manager is the answer. What we've seen during this window is partly due to the fact we've been handing payouts to entire backroom teams like nobody's business.

Also, if the club is being run according to what people say on internet forums, we're in more considerable trouble than anyone could imagine.

Truth is, if we can maintain 9th spot, or even 10th, it's job done. Come the summer, it could be time for a discussion about the manager, but I can't see it being before then unless we hit a significant tailspin.

The clubs on a 'fire the manager cycle' - Aberdeen, Hibs, ourselves haven't really solved any of their issues.

It's almost as if it's done to appease the fans rather than address the real issues.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

The clubs on a 'fire the manager cycle' - Aberdeen, Hibs, ourselves haven't really solved any of their issues.

It's almost as if it's done to appease the fans rather than address the real issues.

I agree. A new manager every two seasons helps nothing in my view 

1 hour ago, wunderwell said:

Well this is my last post on this site. 
Off to P and B to chat to people with similar thoughts. 
Would the miserable bastards on this site do us a favour and not follow suit. 
You can stay here and hate the world. 
I know plenty of people in the world like the people above and never stood about long enough to listen to their bile. 
See you in the Spl next season. 
I’ll spot you because your pants will be wringing and Kettlewell will have taken a shite on your doorstep. 
Catch the good guys later. Keep up the faith. 

Sorry that you're leaving. Certainly this site has been in meltdown since last night and things got a bit personal at times - never nice to see. P&B was also in meltdown last night too as I wrote before; maybe even a bit more in your face than this site was.

Both sites have their strengths and weakneses and there's room for both. Personally I find P & B to be  a bit of an echo chamber at times and perhaps too theatrical and "high level" for me, but each to their own. Yes, this site can be very negative.

As you say, keep the faith.  

1 hour ago, wunderwell said:

I know plenty of people in the world like the people above and never stood about long enough to listen to their bile. 
I’ll spot you because your pants will be wringing and Kettlewell will have taken a shite on your doorstep. 

The irony of you calling people pant wetters. Good luck; enjoy the echo chamber. 

2 hours ago, wunderwell said:

I do get what you're saying.

I know you need a range if opinions but some of the stuff on here?? 

One poster is calling our players c*nts and the manager a tit...I know it's not the Sunday School but would you like someone talking to your family like that?

Maybe don't answer that

We are meant to be on the same side

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

I do get what you're saying.

I know you need a range if opinions but some of the stuff on here?? 

One poster is calling our players c*nts and the manager a tit...I know it's not the Sunday School but would you like someone talking to your family like that?

Maybe don't answer that

We are meant to be on the same side

Well said. Has to be respect to people as even if we don't rate them. They are human. That language is harsh and shouldn't be in a forum. Also someone posted really slanderous post about one of our ex players here recently. It's toxic at times. Moderators need to be looking at some of them.

45 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

I don't agree and even if I did, how do we keep funding all the pay offs?

The pay offs pay for themselves by ensuring we don't get relegated. 

We've got millions in the bank so the club aren't short of liquidity. 

51 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Or if we can be unbeaten in 6 and playing good stuff?

Depends how you CHOOSE to look at things.

If you choose to use good performances and draws as indicators of success, that's fine, but it doesn't achieve much in a points-based league where playing good stuff is not applicable. Good stuff ≠ three points.

I measure success against victories achieved (or lack thereof) in the context of points gained from draws across a sustained period of significance. The current and relevant form period that I use stands at nineteen games and one victory, and I'm afraid to say that the good stuff played amongst the unbeaten games you refer to hasn't (or won't) earned us 18 points. 

That's how I choose to look at things, and that's also fine.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wellfan said:

If you choose to use good performances and draws as indicators of success, that's fine, but it doesn't achieve much in a points-based league where playing good stuff is not applicable. Good stuff ≠ three points.

I measure success against victories achieved (or lack thereof) in the context of points gained from draws across a sustained period of significance. The current and relevant form period that I use stands at nineteen games and one victory, and I'm afraid to say that the good stuff played amongst the unbeaten games you refer to hasn't (or won't) earned us 18 points. 

Ok

9 hours ago, wellfan said:

Strange. Because you referred to me as a Kettlewell apologist in another thread. I've got Stockholm syndrome apparently. 

I've asked the mods to delete my account. I'm a season ticket holder. I know exactly how many games we've won and lost this season. No one needs their nose rubbed in it just because they aren't calling for Kettlewell to be sacked 

22 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

Strange. Because you referred to me as a Kettlewell apologist in another thread. I've got Stockholm syndrome apparently. 

I've asked the mods to delete my account. I'm a season ticket holder. I know exactly how many games we've won and lost this season. No one needs their nose rubbed in it just because they aren't calling for Kettlewell to be sacked 

I would be sorry to see you leave SMOL

Hope you change your mind and stay.

SIWY

1 hour ago, wellgirl said:

I didn't refer to you individually. I spoke of increasing levels of apologists on here and i likened it to a mass onset of Stockholm syndrome.

I engage in critical debate with many individuals here, and I have strong options, but I'm also sorry if you've felt personally targeted. I try not to get personal, except for calling the manager or players shite or brilliant.

The main point of my reply to your post on the Daws thread was ultimately to pick you up on your view that we aren't currently in a slump, because I think we most definitely are. 

At the end of the day, I don't care if I’m in the minority when it comes to calling for Kettlewell to get the sack, and I don't care if others disagree with me, but it's a public forum so I will continue to espouse that view and try to back it up. And that leads to direct debate with others on here, as you know. 

Again, sorry if my post seemed personal. I'll try to rethink my wording in the future. 

Changing the manager doesn't guarantee results, and as mentioned above, it can be more about catharsis and appeasement than any real football reason. It's a big risk and shouldn't be taken lightly. I don't think kettlewell is guaranteed to see out the season, but I don't think he's on the verge of getting punted either.

I can see the logic in gambling with him. If we can get to the end of the season safely, we have an almost blank slate for the new CEO and directors to work from, after a few years of bloated squads and manager payoffs.

Right now the players are playing for SK and have kept their heads through a bad run. The 1 win in ages run is bad, but we are still sitting 4 points of 6th, performances and results have improved, and we have most of our injured players back. Obviously we're not concerning ourselves with 6th at this point, but maybe that puts this seasons league, and the general form of the teams, into some perspective.

This week is going to go a long way to defining our season. 2 wins probably buys SK the rest of the season from most of his detractors, but 2 losses could sway too much of the fan base for him to survive.

6 hours ago, fizoxy said:

This week is going to go a long way to defining our season. 2 wins probably buys SK the rest of the season from most of his detractors, but 2 losses could sway too much of the fan base for him to survive.

I agree. Two wins this week will see the tables turn in his favour.

10 hours ago, wellfan said:

I didn't refer to you individually. I spoke of increasing levels of apologists on here and i likened it to a mass onset of Stockholm syndrome.

I engage in critical debate with many individuals here, and I have strong options, but I'm also sorry if you've felt personally targeted. I try not to get personal, except for calling the manager or players shite or brilliant.

The main point of my reply to your post on the Daws thread was ultimately to pick you up on your view that we aren't currently in a slump, because I think we most definitely are. 

At the end of the day, I don't care if I’m in the minority when it comes to calling for Kettlewell to get the sack, and I don't care if others disagree with me, but it's a public forum so I will continue to espouse that view and try to back it up. And that leads to direct debate with others on here, as you know. 

Again, sorry if my post seemed personal. I'll try to rethink my wording in the future. 

Your post was fine, there was no personal attack. You posted your opinion, which is perfectly acceptable. Not everyone is going to agree with each other, but as long as it's kept within a certain level of respect and decent discussion then there isn't a problem.

This is a football forum. It's going to get heated, and there will be a robust exchange of views. The admin and moderators keep an eye on what's being said, and if it crosses the line we deal with it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, wellfan said:

I didn't phrase my point in the best way to be fair. I wasn't trying to suggest we weren't struggling. By slump I meant if we went on a losing run. It's ok. There's absolutely no worries.