Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

7 minutes ago, smiddy said:

yip but if candidate no1 knocks us back you then go to no2 etc someone always takes it + when its common knowledge your manager is away you always get applications (big yogi haha )   its just that we dont have a  permanant ceo and settled board   

We can start at Carlo Ancelotti and work our way through to Walter Zenga.

15 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

I'm just going to say this quite plainly. You wrote every new signing we had off on another thread. Before they had even kicked a ball.

You also suggested that Bair wasn't good enough. As for your digs that Kettlewell isn't good enough and a baboon would be better this is the same Kettlewell who saved us last season. I have no time and I mean none for people who want to boot the team when they are on a bad run and I have even less time for people who do nothing but make snide digs at the manager and other posters on here. 

You are completely entitled to your opinion by the way. I just don't need to agree with it. 

Well said.

May I add to your list those that go into hiding when the team put in a good performance or certain players perform well. Or alternatively go into denial when one of the chosen few performs badly. The days after the County game being a standout example.

Yes, of course they are entitled to their opinion. But those opinions might actually carry a bit more credence if they were more balanced, less obsessive and more constructive.

I sometimes wonder if they actually sit there desperate for us to get a hiding so they can say "Told you so. He is shite"

Every player has good and bad days. Every Manager has good and bad days. But you would think that was not the case if you listened to a few on here.

Thankfully they are in the minority. Noisy but fairly few in number.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Well said.

May I add to your list those that go into hiding when the team put in a good performance or certain players perform well. Or alternatively go into denial when one of the chosen few performs badly. The days after the County game being a standout example.

Yes, of course they are entitled to their opinion. But those opinions might actually carry a bit more credence if they were more balanced, less obsessive and more constructive.

I sometimes wonder if they actually sit there desperate for us to get a hiding so they can say "Told you so. He is shite"

Every player has good and bad days. Every Manager has good and bad days. But you would think that was not the case if you listened to a few on here.

Agree with what you say 

6 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Well said.

I've been going to games since 1987. I'm not a die hard in my view simply because I've had too many times in my life when I've been too poor to buy a season ticket. Or even to pay cash at the gate. I don't go to away games for the same reason. I can't afford it. 

But every time I've had money to buy a season I buy one. 

By the way I don't judge any fan who can't afford to go to games. I've been that person. However. If I was going to throw Motherwell FC into the bin for not performing well I'd have sacked them off a long time ago. That probably does colour my view on things but that's the way it is. 

I was not a fan of the Hammell appointment but I was not shouting for his head on social media and I'll back Kettlewell to the end. And it's ok if other people don't feel the same way. I just think it's got way too negative lately. I think Alexander was hounded out and I don't want that to happen to another manager. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

The time to decide SK's future is at the end of the season when we have a new CEO and Chairman in place.

They will be the decision makers going forward and wont want saddled with a manager they didnt pick or might not rate. Lets do things in the right order.

We just beat a direct rival 5-0 to put daylight between ourselves and the play off place.

We are sitting in 8th only 2 points off 6th. Sacking the manager right now would be absolutely mental.

Getting knocked out the Cup was sore and will cost the club financially. It shouldnt be ignored, but it doesnt change any of the foregoing.

This.

13 minutes ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

Agree with what you say 

Of course people are entitled to their opinion but honestly. The he's shite Kettlewell is shite everything is shite wears you down after a while. If I genuinely felt that way about Motherwell I wouldn't support Motherwell. A minority seem to get off on the fact that we are struggling just now . And this isn't being levelled at anyone in particular. But it's horrible posting on here at times. Because that minority seem to have the biggest voice on here a lot of the time....

And that isn't to say that people can't have an opinion. But what is the point of constantly saying Motherwell and Kettlewell are shite. Seriously. We wonder why players lose confidence 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

The time to decide SK's future is at the end of the season when we have a new CEO and Chairman in place.

They will be the decision makers going forward and wont want saddled with a manager they didnt pick or might not rate. Lets do things in the right order.

We just beat a direct rival 5-0 to put daylight between ourselves and the play off place.

We are sitting in 8th only 2 points off 6th. Sacking the manager right now would be absolutely mental.

Getting knocked out the Cup was sore and will cost the club financially. It shouldnt be ignored, but it doesnt change any of the foregoing.

What makes you think we’ll have a new CEO in place by the end of the season? 

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

What makes you think we’ll have a new CEO in place by the end of the season? 

Because the current CEO has gone on record to say that we will and that the Chairman will also go at the end of the season.

Of course you will say that we have been told that before and it didnt pan out that way.  I guess circumstances could transpire against us again, but Id prefer to give the board the chance to fix the situation before I decide that they will inevitibly f#ck it up.

In any case, even if they did, it wouldnt justify putting the horse before the cart on purpose right now.

16 hours ago, dennyc said:

Well said.

You only had to note who didn't post Tuesday night....just to add I am usually a " happy clapper" but am hacked off going out of cup ...it's on the players for me, not the manager...1st goal is amateur hour... sorry Liam Kelly , you need to sit the next few out , too many errors and too few " big" moments.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2024 at 11:08 PM, wellgirl said:

Not arguing over it. Just saying I think it's a bit odd that people are shouting for Kettlewells head right now. Nothing he does is good enough. Depressingly predicable 

It's worth remembering that when you say "people" what you're talking about are a handful of trolls, basically. 

The same "people" who are nowhere to be seen when we win, yet are logged in the minute the final whistle is blown on a defeat. 

They're given the opportunity to post their nonsense on this forum because it's a place for opinions, and unless they're being way over the top (as one was and has since been put on post-approval) or outright nasty, they're allowed their views.

But don't mistake that for them or their views being taken seriously. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, David said:

It's worth remembering that when you say "people" what you're talking about are a handful of trolls, basically. 

The same "people" who are nowhere to be seen when we win, yet are logged in the minute the final whistle is blown on a defeat. 

They're given the opportunity to post their nonsense on this forum because it's a place for opinions, and unless they're being way over the top (as one was and has since been put on post-approval) or outright nasty, they're allowed their views.

Do you seriously think that all the people on here who wish to see Kettlewell replaced are trolls? If so, that is an entirely unreasonable statement. I want him replaced because his record is crap this season, which isn't an unreasonable assessment, nor is it troll behaviour to espouse that view. Furthermore, most of those critical of Kettlewell also comment on most other topics, whether we win, lose or draw. To be openly critical of something/someone is not always equivalent to being a troll.

Your posts are generally well-measured and enjoyable to read, but if I've read correctly, this is a pile of dismissive nonsense. You can't blanket refer to all people of the anti-Kettlewell view as trolls with unserious views. That is such a cheap and simplistic assumption to make. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, David said:

I take it you were being a “troll” when you constantly criticised Theo Bair for 3 months on here? 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Do you seriously think that all the people on here who wish to see Kettlewell replaced are trolls? If so, that is an entirely unreasonable statement.......You can't blanket refer to all people of the anti-Kettlewell view as trolls with unserious views. That is such a cheap and simplistic assumption to make. 

Agreed Wellfan. I though SK had turned the corner with the thumping of Rossco, but now I'm not sure. Originally I wanted him to depart but its now too late for that. The time to reassess his contract is the end of the season. I suspect that there are many with this view - we are  not all trolls which is a much misused and misunderstood word. 

Do you seriously think that all the people on here who wish to see Kettlewell replaced are trolls? If so, that is an entirely unreasonable statement. I want him replaced because his record is crap this season, which isn't an unreasonable assessment, nor is it troll behaviour to espouse that view. Furthermore, most of those critical of Kettlewell also comment on most other topics, whether we win, lose or draw. To be openly critical of something/someone is not always equivalent to being a troll.

Your posts are generally well-measured and enjoyable to read, but if I've read correctly, this is a pile of dismissive nonsense. You can't blanket refer to all people of the anti-Kettlewell view as trolls with unserious views. That is such a cheap and simplistic assumption to make. 

If I've read it correctly, David is talking specifically about the folk who disappeared between Tuesday and the back of 9 on Friday. Yourself, and most of the others who want Kettlewell out don't fall into that category.

I've read David's post and he doesn't mention anywhere about people wanting SK out as trolls , unless you are trolling him?

I personally don't want him out because I can see the obstacles in his way at moment, the other issue with continually punting managers is it costs a lot of money and I reckon he will keep us up ...these decisions are seldom black and white...that doesn't mean I wasn't hacked off on Friday.

2 hours ago, wellfan said:

Do you seriously think that all the people on here who wish to see Kettlewell replaced are trolls?

We all know the people she's referring to. If you'd read the rest of my post before hitting the reply button, you'd know that. 

16 minutes ago, David said:

We all know the people she's referring to. If you'd read the rest of my post before hitting the reply button, you'd know that. 

The original poster referred to the people shouting for Kettlewell's head, which I am one of, and you responded by remarking that those people are a handful of trolls. As you say, we all know who they are, so if you want to be specific, be it. Otherwise, your post reads to me as a lazy judgment of all who criticise the manager on this forum.

Although I wouldn't classify them as trolls like the few posters I meant, I do question the sense and logic of those wanting the manager removed at this point in the season.

We're sitting 8th, and it's February. The current manager has actually exceeded all expectations as far as I'm concerned. He's done very well with what is one of the worst squads I've seen at Motherwell in years. He's also turned the analytics on their head with Theo Bair, which is no mean feat. 

I shudder to think if we did get rid of Kettlewell, who we'd bring in next on our increasingly shrinking budget.

4 minutes ago, David said:

Although I wouldn't classify them as trolls like the few posters I meant, I do question the sense and logic of those wanting the manager removed at this point in the season.

We're sitting 8th, and it's February. The current manager has actually exceeded all expectations as far as I'm concerned. He's done very well with what is one of the worst squads I've seen at Motherwell in years. He's also turned the analytics on their head with Theo Bair, which is no mean feat. 

I shudder to think if we did get rid of Kettlewell, who we'd bring in next on our increasingly shrinking budget.

naw theve had plenty chances to bump him and heez still here

he keeps us up, then we part company  at the end of the season, he gets a tick on his cv

our new board and ceo use our inhouse management succesion plan to appoint our new manager, we charge on with our 7 signed players n no goalie, and we win the wishaw sports centre 5 a side league , steelboy, MFC, and yoda take over in june and weve got the league in the bag this time next year, steelmen on line is shutdown cause there is nobody saying averybody/ anybody is shite , and we can all laugh at st midden getting relagated and dougie imrie getting sacked again ........................................................... thank you :)

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, David said:

I completely agree. I actually don't think the squad is that bad. But it's clear that confidence has dipped. It's been visible since the games in September we took nothing from. I'm far from Liam Kelly's biggest fan but it's clear he's lost confidence. The midfield lost confidence as well towards the end of last year I think both Slattery and Spittal started really strongly and then dipped - I'm a huge fan of both players. Then we lost Mika. 

I dont think the revolving door of managers would help our club in the slightest at the minute. Apparently there's someone that some other posters would want to see at the club - I have no idea who that is but who is to say they would get better results than Kettlewell 

I get really annoyed that every time we lose a game it's kettlewell must go.   After Ross Co away I thought his time was up but we have rallied since but yes Friday was a nightmare and Kettlewell was badly at fault. ..team selection..... tactics.... substitutions.....no plan b.

However what he does have is a dressing room that are together. I don't see any signs of a team downing tools. That maybe explains defending Kelly but of course I wouldn't expect a public slating ,( he ain't Derek Adams).

I do think if he can get through this season with us in top division then he will definitely get offered a new contract but nothing crazy. 2 years max but big improvement in recruitment required.  

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

I get really annoyed that every time we lose a game it's kettlewell must go.   After Ross Co away I thought his time was up but we have rallied since but yes Friday was a nightmare and Kettlewell was badly at fault. ..team selection..... tactics.... substitutions.....no plan b.

However what he does have is a dressing room that are together. I don't see any signs of a team downing tools. That maybe explains defending Kelly but of course I wouldn't expect a public slating ,( he ain't Derek Adams).

I do think if he can get through this season with us in top division then he will definitely get offered a new contract but nothing crazy. 2 years max but big improvement in recruitment required.  

With you on that one. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, wellgirl said:

I dont think the revolving door of managers would help our club in the slightest at the minute. Apparently there's someone that some other posters would want to see at the club - I have no idea who that is but who is to say they would get better results than Kettlewell 

I often see this question asked but its not really a fair question. Generally speaking, fans don't have access to the same information and intelligence that clubs and agents do. As always there are exceptions. How many of these fans know the details of other Scots managers', assistant managers', and coaches contracts (if indeed they have one) for example? How many candidates would appear out of the woodwork if our club approached them directly through their agents ? How many current senior players with other clubs might apply? 

Now to my own ignorance. I didn't know until recently that some individuals will not apply for vacancies, but will only become interested if they are directly approached. That was news to me.

Then there's England. The same questions apply only moreso. How many of our fans know much about English lower league managers? Without checking up through Wiki, how many of our posters could give you a run down on the managers and their assistants at say Gillingham or Bristol Rovers? How many of our fans know much about coaches at clubs like Birmingham City?

I won't go on to potential overseas candidates.

In general, how many fans have a reasonably good knowledge of potential candidates' characters?   

These questions are hard enough for clubs, in the know, to answer never mind posters on this site.

All this said, there is no cast iron guaranteee that if a manager is replaced, his replacement will be any better. 

I would pose the question though that if a manager is deemed to failing (who decides that I hear you say) is it better to bring in someone who might fail?  All such posters can see is that the manager of their own club is failing or underperforming.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I often see this question asked but its not really a fair question. Generally speaking, fans don't have access to the same information and intelligence that clubs and agents do. As always there are exceptions. How many of these fans know the details of other Scots managers', assistant managers', and coaches contracts (if indeed they have one) for example? How many candidates would appear out of the woodwork if our club approached them directly through their agents ? How many current senior players with other clubs might apply? 

Now to my own ignorance. I didn't know until recently that some individuals will not apply for vacancies, but will only become interested if they are directly approached. That was news to me.

Then there's England. The same questions apply only moreso. How many of our fans know much about English lower league managers? Without checking up through Wiki, how many of our posters could give you a run down on the managers and their assistants at say Gillingham or Bristol Rovers? How many of our fans know much about coaches at clubs like Birmingham City?

I won't go on to potential overseas candidates.

In general, how many fans have a reasonably good knowledge of potential candidates' characters?   

These questions are hard enough for clubs, in the know, to answer never mind posters on this site.

All this said, there is no cast iron guaranteee that if a manager is replaced, his replacement will be any better. 

I would pose the question though that if a manager is deemed to failing (who decides that I hear you say) is it better to bring in someone who might fail?  All such posters can see is that the manager of their own club is failing or underperforming.

My point was that some people on here apparently know the person who would take over from Kettlewell if he were sacked and someone on here said everyone knows who it is. I dont know who they are 

I honestly cannot be bothered anymore. I feel like any time i post anything someone is ready to call me out on it and I might as well smash my head into a bin a hundred times over.  It's miserable on here if you back Kettlewell. Horrible. And that's not me calling you out on your post. Its just an observation. Its miserable. For example someone saying Motherwell has only one good player. Lennon Miller is the only good player we have. Seriously? 

Honestly. This forum is just an anti Stuart Kettlewell forum just now and Ive had it. Stick your head above the parapet and you get shot down by some posters.  Snidely too. And I'm not talking about you but I am sick of it. It is miserable. It's the get Kettlewell binned or get lost according to some posters