Motherwell v Hearts 19/02/2023

SteelmaninOZ

9 hours ago, gaz7 said:

Had 4k on Wednesday. So with what's been a little positivity since then maybe 4500 on Sunday.

St mirren have increased their core support to 5.5 , 6k really based on beating and drawing with glsgow 2 I feel. As well as only giving them 1200 tickets makes their fans not outnumbered at their stadium. 

Anytime they come to us with 5k away fans it's not enjoyable because of results and them outnumbering us and generally taking the piss due to size of our away stand. . I am not complaining  about this as it is a good income stream but I do feel it affects our core support as you put it. 

If only we could get support like play off game.

4499, I can't make it

29 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Booing a player of either team in most cases isn't right (exceptions being diving and inciting fans) but it maybe says more about the fan than the player. I don't mean that in a bad way. Many go to games as a release or an escape from everyday pressures. Its a way of letting off steam as is cheering or shouting. Not saying its right but thats the way it is for some.   

Or if you're Dougie imrie

53 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Booing a player of either team in most cases isn't right (exceptions being diving and inciting fans) but it maybe says more about the fan than the player. I don't mean that in a bad way. Many go to games as a release or an escape from everyday pressures. Its a way of letting off steam as is cheering or shouting. Not saying its right but thats the way it is for some.   

There's some truth in that. I watched some fans gleefully giving van Veen the treatment when he was subbed against The Tractormen a few weeks ago (someone else mentioned this today) but all seemed to be forgiven the other night. Such abuse is often solved by a good performance or goal.

I've never booed a 'Well player yet (despite much provocation 😇), although I do remember shouting something  obscene at Bobby Watson during a game at Muirton.

In my defence, it was just one, sclaffed, square, overhit pass too many......

* Literary note: Watson is the only MFC player mentioned in an  Ionesco play*

Great day at the office, Killie got beat 2-0 and one of their forwards got sent off as well a week before we play them. Dundee United got beat 2-1, scored a late equaliser but that pish keeper they have literally dithered with the ball at his feet 60 seconds later and St J scored again. St Well beat Ross County as well. 

A win would be most welcome tomorrow.

Teams win and lose but it's usually narrow margins.

Last time out against Hearts though I thought there was actually a noticeable gap between the teams.

Hearts haven't lost against anyone outside the OF since October so probably looking like a win would be a unlikely result but if we can win, with results going our way today, we'd go 6 points clear of Dundee Utd with a decent goal difference advantage.

One can hope.

5 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Last time out against Hearts though I thought there was actually a noticeable gap between the teams.

The game at Tynecastle was frustrating, they played with ten men for such a long spell but managed to go two goals in front, they were fortunate with the first goal as Halliday had headed it out and they got a corner (obv should still defend better) not to mention Gordon should have received a second yellow when he brought down Moult for the pen. They got a 90th min pen which was harsh as Solholms arms were down by his side, if Clancy gives that then he should be giving the one Sibbick blocked ten mins earlier. 

It feels like we have had a fairly decent record against them at Fir Park the last few years, it'll no doubt be a tough fixture and we will probably need to go beyond Wednesday's efforts to secure the three points.

Hard to believe it's going back slightly over 20 years, but I remember we had gone on a winless league run of 12 games (1 draw in that rub) and we met high-flying Hearts in 3rd place and blew them away 6-1. 

We have been blowing away great chances of points in recent weeks against sides that were on equally bad runs as us, it would be refreshing to get a win when it's not expected and I think we will. 2-1 to the Steelmen.

2 hours ago, pretzel said:

The game at Tynecastle was frustrating, they played with ten men for such a long spell but managed to go two goals in front, they were fortunate with the first goal as Halliday had headed it out and they got a corner (obv should still defend better) not to mention Gordon should have received a second yellow when he brought down Moult for the pen. They got a 90th min pen which was harsh as Solholms arms were down by his side, if Clancy gives that then he should be giving the one Sibbick blocked ten mins earlier. 

I actually meant the last home match cos I don't go to away games anymore.

My fault for not clarifying.