Motherwell v Hearts 19/02/2023

SteelmaninOZ

Well worth the 3 points. Always enjoy our games against Hearts as we match up well against them.

Onwards and upwards.

We got our wee bit of luck today too with Shankland hitting the post - seems that you get the breaks when you're playing well.

Incredible result. The workrate from the entire team was night and day to what it was under Hammell.

Hearts were awful but that’s not our problem. 

And get it right up that greasy, flat nosed prick Neilson and that Honey monster headed goalkeeper.

• Haha 2

Well, I must admit I didn’t think they had that in them.

Terrific performance from everyone and an absolutely priceless 3 points especially with all the sides around us all losing yesterday.

Kudos to Stuart Kettlewell who in 2 games now has not only got his selection and tactics spot on but seems to somehow have galvanised the players confidence.

Surely if the choice is really between him, Holloway and Grant he is now favourite. COYW.

• Like 1

I'll be honest, as soon as we brought in Slattery I knew we had it. With his foul winning ability and shit housing tendencies you know we're in a good place for game management, but that tackle at the end was fantastic.

I thought we nullified hearts main threats well, and left them all doing their best Liam Grimshaw impressions and running sideways most of the time. 

I don't doubt that you get an extra bit of effort with the right motivation, but I feel like it was more a lack of confidence than lack of effort in most games this season. You have to give Casey and butcher a fair bit of credit too, they are driving things and have added a bit of bite.

Spittal was excellent once again, and I thought obikas hold up play was exactly what we have been missing. With the former, it looks like he's playing behind the front two, instead of out wide, and that has made up for his lack of pace.

I wouldn't grudge kettlewell the job, at least until the end of the season. He has found a way to play to our squads strengths, and is putting players in a position to succeed. That should be a given, but we've seen with hammell that managers can over think things. 

Was looking dicy for the first 8 minutes but after that we were as good as or better than Hearts for the rest of the game. 
SK wasn’t in my thoughts as manager but his selection’s, set up and constant talking to the players is putting him front and centre at the moment - wonder what the boards thinks 

I'm not a big fan of the old 'give it to the caretaker after two games' but no one can deny the difference kettlewell has made both to the shape/organisation and application of the players. Everyone worked hard today.

I'd much rather see Kettlewell to the end of the season than some media clown or a manager with no experience in Scotland.

Kettlewell may have failed to get Ross Co out of a relegation battle, but at least he's lived through it and should have learned from any mistakes he made.

22 minutes ago, weeyin said:

It's no coincidence that St Mirren and Hearts didn't play well in these 2 games. We set up in a way that made it difficult for them.

Exactly right,we have made it far to easy for teams all season by doing the same thing game after game,it's good to see some tactics employed to actually stop the opposition and give us a fighting chance.